slightly longer cranks = 36er love

I also love the 150s on my geared 36…but, after trying out 165s on roland’s geared 36, I think that the 165s make the high gear feel so much nicer. In low gear though…the 165s just felt silly to me. Also, shifting with the 165s was significantly harder than the 150s…I was only able to successfully shift to high gear once or twice.

I love the fact that I have two usable gears on the geared 36 w/ 150s, and that shifting is SO EASY. I may try putting on the 165s though because I almost always keep it in high gear and the longer cranks were a lot easier on my muscles.

Nathan:

I took your advice. After about an additional 150 km I started to really enjoy the shorter cranks. Today’s ride taking me over 400k on the shorter cranks. The middle of my ride today (just over 60k), I really had the “floating” on the pedals sensation, and I did about 30k in heaven (virtually calm conditions and some fresh smooth paved road too!). The last part of the ride, I was getting a bit tired, but kept up with far less wobble (pretty straight most of the time I figure) in comparison to my initial 200k. In retrospect for the initial 200k, I realize that I was probably pressuring too much, thinking “circles” rather than “floating”. The climbing is still a bit of an effort in comparison to 125mm, but it’s coming along too.

Since the last post I also cranked the saddle a bit flatter in gradual increments, and extended the KH handlebar, so that handlebar is about 1/2" from max extension. I find that I’m riding with my hands on top of the barends, even at that, so I am going to move the bar to max extension for my next ride.

Thanks for the encouragement. I probably would have gone back to the 125mm without that prodding.

A smile or grimace arriving after 60k - not sure.

2009_08_08.jpg

Way to go! That sounds awesome. It only gets better as time goes on…

I want to get a set of 114 for my coker. Terry talked about the qu-ax with zero Q factor, but I can’t seem to find them on unicycle.com. What cranks are everyone using (114’s).

I have one pair of Bicycle Euro 110 plus a couple of pairs of custom cut down aluminum cranks (100 and 110). 110 vs 114 is about the same although the difference is noticeable.