Skrrrt.io!

Hey! I am posting this on behalf of all unicyclists who have not yet seen it! Introducing: skrrrt.io
it is a new unicycle map, chat, and place for friendly competitions, and in general a place for most things unicycling related. on the patreon, it is described like so: “skrrrt.io exists to bring the unicycle community together through games, posts, user profiles, chat, and more. The app is developed entirely by Colby Thomas, and runs entirely on your donations!”
(patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/skrrrt)

note I did not create this. @Colby_Thomas did. all props to him. it is epic

Maybe I don’t get the point yet. But what’s it’s purpose? What can you do on this platform that you can’t already do with the existing platforms (unicyclist.com, discord, facebook, etc.)? Does it already have content and a vital community?

3 Likes

yeah i was thinking the same. Re-inventing the wheel maybe (pardon the pun) :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you register and post pictures and such, this is definitely something to be aware of:

By posting your Contributions to any part of the Site or making Contributions accessible to the Site by linking your account from the Site to any of your social networking accounts, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to us an unrestricted, unlimited, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free, fully-paid, worldwide right, and license to host, use, copy, reproduce, disclose, sell, resell, publish, broadcast, retitle, archive, store, cache, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, transmit, excerpt (in whole or in part), and distribute such Contributions (including, without limitation, your image and voice) for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, and to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such Contributions, and grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing.

I’m not saying this is bad or even uncommon (Facebook pretty much has the same in their ToS), but it’s something I try to avoid.

1 Like

I think it’s pretty safe to safe that the vast majority of the urban unicycling community will be using SKRRRT from now on. The idea is to have everything in one place. While I really do like forums, I think as a platform it is outdated and will never be #1 again.

Unicycling was really the only thing keeping me on Facebook, now I can move away. I think SKRRRT is a cross between Instagram and discord. I see the potential for the app, I don’t think it’s there yet, I think it requires still a lot of work, but what I see is the future of unicycle content.

I think it’s just to remove any responsibility that copyrighted content may be uploaded directly onto SKRRRT.

2 Likes

I don’t see how you need the right to sell content (like pictures I take on a ride) for commercial or advertising purposes just to remove any responsibility, but maybe I miss something here.

Sorry, maybe I’m showing my age. I examined the skrrrt.io website, and it looks like a forum to me. I don’t understand what you mean by “having everything in one place.” The differences I could see were 1. More young riders. 2. More urban/street riders and 3. More video and less text. I also found a post saying the best thing about skrrrt.io was knowing who else was logged in. I’m probably missing something, but isn’t everything I mentioned, above, doable on our forum?

I discovered this forum when I began unicycling. For the first couple months, I was not registered, and I spent a lot of time using the search and reading old posts. My primary inclination was not to become socially more connected. It was, rather, to solve problems and learn how to ride.

Again, showing my age…when I was in grad school, the paradigm for describing the internet was the Gopher server, where our collective knowledge was placed and accessed in a tree-like structure. Looking for fart jokes? Try Humanities / Humor / Scatological / Fart Jokes. The grandiose idea was that all the world’s knowledge could be categorized. Maybe there are still remnants of that idea in the crumbling structure of our beloved unicycle forum. Okay, boomer, that’s like, so 5 minutes ago!

Fast forward to 2021. What’s the purpose of the internet? Just like any other form of media that has existed for long enough, the elites have found a way to use the internet to divide and conquer the rest of us. They have done it cleverly, as well, by creating an environment we describe as “more connected”.

My point here is that we shouldn’t be just looking at technology and saying “this is old” or “this is out of date”. We should be looking at technology as a way of understanding what has changed in human beings.

I’m glad the f***book crowd has an alternative. The business model for skrrrt.io relies on donations from users. In that regard, it has more in common with our forum…compared to the alternatives. The “original sin” of the internet has been described as giving away free services to capture users while forming a business model built on exploiting the personal information of users.

1 Like

If you consider Facebook, Instagram, Reddit and other similar applications/platform forums, then yes, it’s a forum.

A forum is discussion based, users create topics, and discussions ensue. As I previously mentioned, I love the forums, but it’s slow.

Skrrrt is post based, like Instagram, or Facebook, you scroll through a feed, and you only open a post if you want to interact with it. Whether you like it or not, it is the current way media is consumed nowadays, which I think makes it relevant.

You also don’t need an account to consume the media on skrrrt, nor do you need to follow the right people on be in the right group.

All unicycle content used to be on unicyclist.com pre-facebook/beginning of Facebook era. Unfortunately the majority of the userbase move from here to Facebok. I think it’s unrealistic to think that most people would switch back to the forums, but I believe enough people can switch to Skrrrt.

1 Like

If you are a climber you may be familiar with the website 8a.nu
It is a forum. But also has an elaborate point and game system for you to track other climbers, the routes they are climbing and how many new routes they climb every year.

Skrrrt.io currently has a game system built into it as well for beginner, advanced and expert riders. You can challenge yourself along with other riders in any of the categories and try to earn points each week and improve standing in the leaderboards. This is all very new however and the first week is starting on Monday. Many urban riders use these kinds of game systems as motivation to try and develop new skills or try skills you simply hadn’t thought to try.

2 Likes

That would make me reluctant to post any photos or videos there. Posting your content should never make it the property of the company that’s hosting it. If you aren’t concerned about that, however, it’s not an issue.

1 Like

skrrrt probably has more active users than this forum does. and I think like @emile said, if copyrighted content is uploaded to skrrrt, they have to have a way to deal with it. I am pretty sure that Colby is not planning on selling anyone’s photos.

1 Like

Looking at it it doesn’t attract me at all on the first view. Is there no categorisation? Do I alwayas have to scroll through all of the content or can i filter anything? How do I search information there?
Or do I only see half of it if i’m not logged in?

Feels like any other social media where users just dump their media.

I still don’t understand it.
Is it just like one single FB group feed? Does everybody see the same feed? Does everybody post to the same thread/topic/??? don’t know how to name it.

I like this about skrrrt. I can lurk, and I don’t have to find people individually to see what’s happening.

But I also like the history and searchability here on the forums. It seems like skrrrt will eventually need to organize information a little bit as the number of users and posts goes up.

Is Colby the only one working on it?

I think it is.
“Hail our brave new land!”
If you’re there when a picture is posted, good for you. Otherwise… scroll onward, friend!
That format has some positives, such as live chatting and quick help. A forum does another job, however, and Skrrrt is neither trying to nor going to replace it. Skrrrt’s format (along with other social media) is inexplicably now popular, but the forum will stay possibly old but certainly gold.

Yeah. It might have the potential to get many of the FB, Instagram and what-else-is-popular-nowadays users that use these platform mainly unicycle related. And that’s a good thing. If there will be possibilities of filtering the content better, it might become really popular.

But it definitely has another purpose than the forum. so it makes me a bit sad to see forum-bashing there. while a forum is all about information and discussion while skrrrt is all about sharing video and photo, a thing the forum is not so good at. I think both have their right to exist and will make their way. Better than all of these commercial social media platforms.

If it makes you feel any better, in about 5 billion years the Sun will end its main sequence and turn into a red giant, enveloping Earth. That will be the end of Skrrrt.io, so joke’s on them!

1 Like

…and Ellon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg and Jeff Bezos are sitting on a cloud and shaking their heads, because of all the modern things they see.

I just noticed the games. That is really nice. It’s a much better format than either here or FB/IG.

I believe the games are the focus. the other stuff is simply obvious communication tools that any forum would have.

2 Likes