Skill level development during childhood

So nice to finally get a cool evening – and time to practice with my 6 year old daughter Anna. Tonight was her first time to do successive 8’s. Old dad managed to get 8-9 meters wheel-walking and ten 1-foot rotations. My wife & I are thinking about uni for our 3-1/2 year old and future toddler. Our 12 & 14 year old nephews have mastered skills with incredible speed - motivated primarily by competition with each other.

Does anyone have positive experience with teaching very young children to ride?

Also, has there ever been a kid who’s skill level was equal to or above their age?

Thanks for any experiences you have to share.

Cheers - Hudson & Kim

I believe Spencer Johnson of TCUC passed Level 10 when he was only 9 years old.

if i have kids i’d like to start them off early. I didnt start riding till i was 15 and i wish i’d started much sooner than that. Of course you can’t really force your kids to do something, you just have to hope that they are interested :wink:

My son was 7 when he really took off. I think it depends on the kid when they are ready. Just the same as a bike. If you push it they won’t do it or will resent you and the unicycle.

I just had one around for him to use when he wanted. I coached him if he was up for coaching, sometimes I left him alone. He had the uni for a year before he could ride. He had his bicycle for 2 years before he could ride that w/o training wheels!

There was a young and small 4 year old riding well at nationals. Completed the 800m. I spoke with her mom, and apparently this little gem is a very proud and stubborn little girl in every way imaginable. My son was not ready at that age. Some kids are!

My son is nearly 8 and does not have the staying power to learn to ride yet. He has a unicycle and will give it a go when everyone else is eg at BUC but otherwise he does not want to learn to ride it. He is much happier riding his bike, on which he is becoming quite confident.

Cathy

I belive that you can teach a kid to ride at a very young age, but the speed at which they excel is mostly dependent on their level of interest, dedication, and motivation. As well as a little help and friendly competition.

-Justin