Skate Park Punks, Beal Street Memphis, Injury, Peck

Lewis, dude!

It is ALL good!

Rody needed the crown anyway and said that since we have a great dental insurance package that we saved more than $200 AND I have that $50 gift certificate from the NJ ride she actually told (TOLD!) me to order the Coker (What a woman!). After all, in our wedding vows - which you missed - we both pledged to each other to, “encourage each other to live your bliss.”

Now for the really big news, I was summoned into the Executive Director’s office to discuss budget planning when she offered me a promotion with more than enough raise to cover more than several Cokers!!! Yehaw! As Chris might say, “This weekend we RIDE!” Man-o-man, when things are right things are SO right.

Yes, I got the upgrade on the Coker wheel, and the air seat withthe Roach cover and blue Miyata bumpers. No brakes, however.

Gotta jet,
Tommy

Klaas Bil,

I would consider riding backwards at the bottom of the list for “essential” riding skills, but there are times in street situations when you need to back up. I could get off and walk back. I could hop and then spin in place while hopping, ride forward, then hop and spin again … but backwards would be more natural. BUT since I already possess skills that let me do the same thing, thats why its at the bottom of the list.

Lewis

Lewis, whatcha talking about here? Did you mis-post?
Tommy

Tommy,

No. It is my fault for going so far off topic. The conversation started with the discussion of the local MUCsters about our weekend, which ended up with you and Tom discussing the new purchases you have decided to make. That got me talking about how I have about 5 unicycles I have yet to buy. I then mentioned that I wanted to work on some basic “ride from A to B” skills, so I figured I’d go with a trials or freestyle unicycle. Then somebody debated whether or not riding backwards was an A to B skill. He said no, I said yes (by comparison to wheel walking and one pedal cycling). I think thats where you got lost, but it was my fault for Hijacking the thread, or misleading it.

Whoops?

HEY! I had a great time in Memphis! I’m glad Chris didn’t hurt himself seriously, as we had all feared.

How’s that? Back on topic? I hope so.

Lewis

Cool, man.

Yes, a good time was had by all.

Mark your calendar for December 7th. We HAVE to ride the Memphis Marathon on either Cokers or on your 29".

Amy Drummond called moments ago (working really late!) and told me that I’ve have that monster Coker by Thursday!

Do it Lewis! You NEED one - the BIG ONE!

Tommy

Tommy,

Yes the time in Memphis was great, and I would love to return Dec 7. I’ll mark the calendar. And of course, I’m still leaning to coming down again this weekend. Where is a good hotel near you? I’d like to be able to let you and Rody do your own thing and/or not get in your way EVERY time I come up. Arent you working again this Sat morning? That’d be fine, I’d still be tempted to come up. I wonder what the weather is doing.

As far as the Coker, it is on the list, but the 29" Sem-Nanoraptor would be fine. I’m much more likely to order a freestyle cycle.

Lewis

Pearl Harbor day of course warrants the use of Cokers in honor of the huge ships lost in that tragedy.

Harper,

Yes, for Dec 7th we should pay our respects and have a fleet of Cokers!

Gosh, I’ve got it bad, dreaming about flying along atop that ride! However, I don’t think that I have it quite as bad as the Memphis Mudman. His obsession is fueled, too, by his kids that are just as obsessed. You know that there just has to be a victum in all of this - his Loveliest Wife. Can you imagine sitting at teh table with THREE possessed/obsessed unicyclists! His kids are SO sad at the end of the club rides becasue they have to stop riding. Rody has to deal with only one obsessed child - me. What fun!

Lewis,

Yes, I do have to work on Saturday - again - but this is the last in the program. Little did I know that by creating this program that it was my test/practicum/interview for my new position so I shouldn’t complain about having to work all those Saturdays through this fall.

Man, I don’t really know about the hotels/motels. There are several in the downtown area but they seem a litttle pricey. The deals, I think, are out on the I-240 / I-40 loop. If you decide to come to town I hate to see you stay in a motel. Your call, Bro. I’ll ask around for you. When folks came to the wedding - which you missed - they stayed at the French Quarter in Overton Square. I think that our wedding web site is still up. Check out rodyandtommy.com for tourist info. On that site there is a contact for a “less expensive” room. Rody is leaving in the morning for Knoxville and will be returning on Saturday afternoon so I should not plan on riding on Saturday - though the weather looks to be great.

Tommy

Tommy,

Not a problem. I may still come up anyway even if you can’t ride Saturday. It would still be fun to ride with the Maxwells and the Lillys (not sure how Van and Sam spell their last names) and possibly others. Heck, it would be fun just to go to Memphis and putter around. On the other hand, maybe I should use this week to go to my local Juggling club.

We’ll see.

Lewis

Re: Skate Park Punks, Beal Street Memphis, Injury, Peck

harper wrote:
> seriously consider the six footer over the five
> footer. Twenty percent increase in fun factor.

I don’t consider the difference between a 5’ and a 6’ to be 20%.

If we take a standard unicycle as a baseline at 3’, the 5’ is 2’ taller
while the 6’ is 3’ taller, i.e. the 6’ has a 50% “increase in fun
factor” over the 5’.

…or something like that. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Mark.

> > seriously consider the six footer over the five
> > footer. Twenty percent increase in fun factor.
>
> I don’t consider the difference between a 5’ and a 6’ to be 20%.

Me neither.
>
> If we take a standard unicycle as a baseline at 3’, the 5’ is 2’ taller
> while the 6’ is 3’ taller, i.e. the 6’ has a 50% “increase in fun
> factor” over the 5’.
>
> …or something like that. :slight_smile:

More like:

On a Coker your foot in bottom position is a foot off the ground - 2-3 times
higher than when you’re riding a 20" (depending on crank length, obviously).
On a 6’ giraffe, your FIBP might be a YARD off the ground… 200% increase
in “fun” from a Coker and maybe an order of magnitude more than a 20".

“harper” <harper.dmocy@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:harper.dmocy@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Pearl Harbor day of course warrants the use of Cokers in honor of the
> huge ships lost in that tragedy.
>

Ahh, yes, my birthday!

Doug