skate bike (that unicycle with a training wheel thing) test ride

I have one of these. Like Yoop said, it’s a LeRun. Pretty cool. I don’t ride it much. You couldn’t take it off road because it’s not very stable. Maybe a larger one…

le_run.jpg

I own one of these, as well as an old unicycle. I suck at the unicycle, but my skatebike I can jump curbs, ride backwards etc. Anyone not want theirs anymore? Shoot me an email at brainshatterer@hotmail.com please.
Thanks
Kersten

just learn to ride a uni than u dont got to waste money on that stuff

I have memories of the Monkees riding those things on one of their shows. I can’t remember the cycles in detail, but I remember enough to kno that they didn’t look like yours. The back wheels were bigger, and they looked more like legit unicycles with training wheels. Yours, by today’s standards, looks like a backwards skatebike.

The earliest form of skatebike I saw was called a Rodeocycle, from Motobecane. It was a classier version of the LeRun type, with a monocoque body (plastic over the frame) and a fixed gear (no freewheel). The Abrahams family brought one to the USA Convention in 1983. The funny thing about that cycle was that non-unicycling family members were zooming around on it all weekend. I tried it a few times, and never got very far before over-leaning and screwing up a turn. But I have a picture of my (non-unicycling) dad cruising along on it. :slight_smile:

So they’re not hard to ride, but I think if you’re a unicyclist you may have to do some un-learning before you get the hang of it. I can see how the Yoopers one would be difficult, as rear steering would be really weird, on a vehicle that’s kind of hard to ride forward…

Wow, this is as bad as on my car board telling me to switch my one automatic to a manual :stuck_out_tongue: But if someone has one that they don’t want, but I only really want a LeRun style, those others are goofy looking and the LeRun fits PERFECT in my trunk so I can get some exercise on my lunch hour. Thanks

My old unicycling troop had a couple of these. They are kind of fun to ride to be honest.

Saw one in a 2nd hand shop today and bought it for our Juggling Club’s Circus School.

Also got myself a plasma-ball at 1/5th of it’s retail value.
I’m smiling.

And then there’s mine over on the trading post:

sweet unis

those are awesome unis

Tricycles

Xtreem Tricycles.

I think you may just have hit on a new marketing angle for those machines.

For you guys that have one of the small ones would you reccomend it for a child to learn on before a real uni?
I had seen them on ebay and thought because it was a tricycle it would be more stable it would be better to learn one of these before a uni. Or would it just make learning a uni harder?

Those things are cool, extreme trikes they are if people are jumping curbs and grinding. I’d like to see some vid.:smiley:

I don’t know if there’s any value-add to riding a skatebike before taking on a unicycle. Despite similar shapes, they are not similar things to ride. On the other hand I don’t have a lot of experience teaching basic riding (bike or unicycle) to little ones. It might be useful, but I am doubtful. Start with a bike (training wheels or no), then go to the unicycle.

A better training device would be a dicycle, which is a unicycle with two wheels next to each other. Extra stability while still riding like a unicycle. Just not exactly on the market…

I wonder if a dicycle with seat is anything at all like an easier more stable unicycle? Zyllan found his ultimate dicycle to be more of a handful than a bog standard ultimate wheel: see these

http://www.richardloxley.com/photos/unimeet1202/slides/Img_0032.html
and
http://www.richardloxley.com/photos/unimeet1202/slides/Img_0033.html

A couple of years ago I did some searching for the Monkees unicycles that I had remembered seeing on the TV show (I would have been 8 years old back then).
About all that I found was this pic of Mickey Dolens on one of them.

Al

unimonkee.gif

Or was that monkies on unicycles, long time ago I’m not sure any more.

monkeys.jpg

I rode one of the yellow front trucks-type ones when I was teaching at the Asheville Circus school, and I liked it a lot. I liked the coasting. It’s really just not a unicycle though, it a whole different thing. Turning wasn’t as sharp, but I got the hang of that too, and I could turn like I can on a skateboard, except with a skateboard I fall more. Stupid skateboards.

It is a different beast entirely. The Skate-Bike I pictured has a back-pedal braking sytem. You can also just sit on it, something you can’t do with a uni. The dynamics are all different.

I still can’t ride the thing.

Re: skate bike (that unicycle with a training wheel thing) test ride

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 14:37:27 -0600, Naomi wrote:

>I wonder if a dicycle with seat is anything at all like an easier more
>stable unicycle? Zyllan found his ultimate dicycle to be more of a
>handful than a bog standard ultimate wheel: see these
>
>
>http://tinyurl.com/ctald
>and
>http://tinyurl.com/8fe88

But John was probably thinking of the two wheels being farther apart,
providing significant lateral stability. Like the third picture on
http://www.unicycling.com/garage/multi.htm . Be it that in that one
the two wheels rotate independently, which would certainly not be
suitable for a learner.

Back to the topic, I’ve ridden a skatebike occasionally. The way you
ride them is completely different from a unicycle, so I doubt it would
be a good primer for unicycling. Except for someone who can’t ride a
regular bike. For them, learning to ride a skatebike might actually be
slightly better than a bike because riding posture is similar.

The thing should be called skatetrike.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the importance of seat comfort”