Size influences hop height.

Hey everyone,

I’ve been stuck here at three pallets for a couple of weeks now and can’t get four. I was wondering if the fact that I’m 5 foot 2 inches and only 100 pounds means I’m limited.

Did you guys (bigger guys) find it easier to get big as you grew taller and bigger.

It depends on age more than anything. As you get older, you get stronger. Since I don’t know how old you are, I can’t comment. Don’t use this as an excuse though, always try and go as big as you can.

Size doesn’t matter…it’s how you use it.

I still don’t think age matters. Its all about body type and size. Some people are naturaly built for jumping at age 12 they will be built way better for jumping than someone at age 20.

Also jumping on a uni requires arms, having longer arms in proportion to your body will help out alot.

Still though non of this really matters. If you weight more than 60 pounds you should be able to hop up at least two pallets just by bouncing on the tire alone.

I disagree, I think technique is a larger factor.

A. Are you an expert on hop hight? B. You body is just starting to mature, you have no idea what will happen. I was struggling when I was younger to even lift my front wheel for my bike. As I grew older and stronger, my hop high increased exponentially.

i think it has more to do with technique and your mental attitude…saying you’re not 14 or under. at your height, you ought to move beyond 3 pallets without too much trouble. you’ve got a ways to go before you’re maxed out and the tire has hit your butt.

timing and tuck my friend. time your tuck so that it happens quickly. whenever i peak out on a gap/ledge i tell myself to tuck quicker, and lo and behold i land the hop. the more you practice, and the bigger variety of stuff you practice, the more you know your body and your unicycle and how the two correlate.

most of trials is a mental thing. i’ve had to get beyond several mental blocks, and just let go…that’s how i gain confidence. and when i gain riding confidence i surprise my self.

pay attention to how you hop on the smaller stuff, and how you’re hopping on the bigger/newer stuff. are your techniques consistent? maybe you can take some video of your self, and then you can analyze what you’re doing right, and what you’re doing wrong.

some suggestions.

evan

Yea I’m also at a mental block at 6 pallets…I am positive that I can physically get it but my body freaks out when I go for 7. It could also have to do w/ the pallets being broken a bunch and not very stable haha. I just normally go practice other trials things for a while and after a while when I go back I normally am better and have more confidence, giving me a better chance to make the jump

do you guys have any workouts or stretches you do to become stronger for that pull of the unicycle?

Yes, it’s called practicing your sidehops:p . The more you do it, the more your muscles will develop where needed.

on a more serious note…

If anyone says that when they grew a lot that they got better at hopping, they’re not thinking right.

When you go through puberty, your muscles get bigger and stronger which is probably better than being taller.

5’ tall 100 lbs.

Well if you were in any other jumping sport, say high jump or basketball, I would guess you could have a lot of fun, and maybe become really good, but not set the high jump record. So I would guess that the uni high jump record would be set by a person that was exceptional at standing jumps in general. With long legs.

There is also a thing about muscle fiber types 1 and 2. Most people have legs with a sorta average combination of strong-fast fibers, and weak-endurance fibers.

There are people with close to 98 % weak muscle fibers. They can’t jump out of bed, but they never tire. Great for setting marathon records.

On the other extreme, people with a high proportion of strong fibers may excel at bursts of strength, and be unbeatable at weight lifting, jumping and sprinting. But they soon tire. To put in the many hours of practice a day that it takes to excel at skilled sports is to fatiguing for someone with to few weak endurance fibers.

So to have fun unicycling, it is perhaps best to be sorta average. :slight_smile:

Or you won’t grow anymore… thats what she said

yes. i squat-ride, and do ‘baldwin squats’ with the unicycle–it involves squatting with the unicycle, pushing the seat away from me the farther i go down. i also try to go down and come back up really slow, and switch to fast, all without being sketchy or using even one too many corrective hops. i wait until i’m all the way up before i corrective hop. you want things to be smooth, quick, and in control.

i also ride sif a lot more than the normal person. i ride sif backwards, do turns. i can idle sif. to practice sif, i ride sif, pushing my seat out as far as i can, away from me, all while trying to keep the pressure off of my arm that holds my seat.

i do all of these things to get my body used to riding sif, and being able to use sif for all sorts of angles and situations that might come up.

i think doing all of that stuff helps a lot.

I also feel somwhat restrained by my size. im 12 years old, 67 pounds and 4’ 8" and can hop up 35 cm (ya I know I’m practicly a midget) but I could probably get 45 cm if i A. really tried and B. switched to seat out.

A. I know about hopping yes. Am I an expert at it? No. Doesn’t mean I don’t know anything about it.

B. I’ve seen someone young do really big hops, can’t remember who.

Last year (when I was 13) I could wheelie so high on a 26" mountain bike that I could fall off. How I learned to do it? Practice.

Maybe you got better when you got older not because you grew but because your technique grew? I’m 5’6" and get over 50cm (never measured but I KNOW I exceed 50).

Strength might have something to do about it but I doubt that that really improves anything by a ton.

IMO strength and height both play a small roll. It’s mainly about experience and skill.

If you can hop higher when you grow biggher, I’d say that additional height came mostly from years of practice.

At the extreme end of things I think FTL has it. Those who are tall and lean will have an advantage in max hop height/distance.

A few years ago I was watching a slam dunk contest where almost everyone was about 6’ 6"+, except one really short guy (I think he was 5’10", but he practically looked like a midget next to the others). The short guy could dunk from around the free-throw line.

I’m 6’4" and I can’t hop very well. Ive been stuck at about 25" for about 10 months, and haven’t improved at all. I think height does affect it a bit, but strength and form will make the most difference.

Yes, probably. But so what? You don’t get to choose your size. If you’re still growing you’re going to get taller, and if you’re done growing that’s where you’ll stay for a long time. Improve your strength and technique, and you’ll jump higher regardless of your size. I doubt jumping competitions will ever be divided by rider hight or weight (just age) so don’t worry about it.

Same applies to leg length in racing. Some fast riders are short, others are tall. We will never divide riders by leg length, only age (and gender).

I am 14 and about 165cm’s I dont know what i am in pounds and feet. (56kg) I started about 5-6 weeks now broken my ebay uni twice and waiting for kh20 now. I can jump onto one palet. I can’t jump sideways though i just cant seem to do it, I jump about 10 cms sideways then fall off that side :frowning: I can get onto one palet just by riding at it then hopping up onto it, I land tottally on top not very far onto the palet but still ontop. I couldn’t get onto the palet a week ago even though i am very much a beginner I am getting better every day. Maybe someone bigger would get it quicker but maybe then balancing is harder when you start if your big? I dunno :stuck_out_tongue: