SixSixOne 4x4s

At 6’3" I’d suggest the XL size.

I will try to post some info and comparisons to the 661 armor later today.

Kris

probably XL

I am 6’2", 165 lbs and have the Large. While they fit, the XLs would have probably been more comfortable.

There needs to be better ways to match equipment sizes with one’s body size. Much of this gear is only available via mail order and shipping stuff back is a pain.

–Tom

Here is the sixsixone sizing chart, just get a tape measure =)

http://www.sixsixone.com/Information_Sizing.aspx

except they dont have XL on there

not that i will ever have to worry to about that. Short people rock

The easiest way to compare armor sizes is by measuring the length of the shin. Here are 661 sizes compared to the new Percussion, based on the length of the center piece of shin plastic:
Size___661_____KHU
S_____11"______11.25"
M_____11.5"____12"
L_____13"______12.5"
XL____13.25"___13.25"

The KH armor is out on UDC.

Also check the KH armor thread.

It would be so great if Kris, 661 or *somebody" would make armour in WHITE, BEIGE or some light, neutral color that would NOT absorb heat, thus staying much cooler! YEah, I know black looks cool, but it’s not “cool” at all; literally speaking!:slight_smile: This is very evident during 80+ degree days. Hello Moab in March!

The main challenge here is volume of sales. It is really hard to make specialty products for unicyclists because there are not a lot of us. Colors other than black can cost a lot more, even for the same fabric, and manufacturer minimum order requirements would kill it anyway. Otherwise i would make a bunch of different colors. Hopefully that will start to happen in a couple of years, if the popularity keeps growing.

Kris

I’m not talking adding a bunch “colors” as some sort of “fashion” choice, but rather just a single color, and soley for a practical and functional purpose. A light, neutral color that will stay cool by not absorbing and retaining heat, as black most assuredly does.:slight_smile:

Bleach…

hahahahhahahahahahahah…

I surely hope you jest…because that would probably destroy the shin guards and most defenetly cause premature failure.

I know, but even doing 2 colors (black and something else) is hard. Quantity requirements are really large.

For example, this armor has polyurethane (think truck tarp) abrasion patches on the inside of the leg and knee. On the original proto the durability was good but the fabric was too shiny, so I looked into another non-standard fabric type. The manufacturer said “no problem but the mininum order is 5000 pairs”. Way too many for the size of the market right now. Then I discovered that the reverse (back) side of the existing material was less shiny, so it worked out in the end.

So a 2nd color may happen at some point but not just yet.

Cheers,

Kris

I’ve got size M (661), but I maybe could wear L too, because of my long legs. Only problem is that my calf isn’t that big so S size could be small enough for my tiny calfs. Couple years of bodybuilding (mostly calf building :stuck_out_tongue: ) could solve that problem or shorter velcro tapes. :roll_eyes:
4x4 is quite cool if you compare it to my old Sinisalo knee/shin armors and these are mutch comfortabler and longer so protection is better. I’ll get 2008 or 2009 model of KH armors, when those are advanced and desingned for unicycling (first model look same as 661’s 4x4) and when I need larger size.

I wash mine with a diluted bleach mixture. It doesnt kill the threading, the foam, the fabric, or change the color, but it gets rid of the smell better then anything else ive tried. =p

Pure bleach on it would probably do some bad stuff.

Ill try it when my 661s arent worth wearing anymore.

a problem with white is that it doesnt look as good after a few UPDs because mud and grass stains show up much better on white than they do on black

I dont mind the 661s being an oven, which they arent even that bad.

Im too busy riding and stuff to stop and go “My legs are burning!” lol, its something im used to, isnt even that bad, and doesnt bother me, cause I dont even notice it.

If I do ever get too hot, like during the spring and summers, I take off my shirt, and Im never wearing pants during the hot seasons. So when I uni, its 661s and shorts, sometimes a plain white t-shirt. It works. =p

Here’s a link to a photo of the back of the KH armor:

The back is open above the calf which gives good breathability in that area. On the wraparound part, the amount of breathability depends on how big your calf is. For people with larger calfs, you will have a gap down the outside of the wraparound that acts like a vent. That’s not quite as protective but it makes them a lot cooler.

Kris.

Hey Kris, have you thought about selling your shinguards to bike retailers like Jenson USA, Airbomb, Dan’s Comp, or Nashbar? If they sold, the demand would obviously be higher so you would have to make more. When you make more, you could have the 2 color kind or perhaps make them cheaper. If you made them cheaper, you would get some of the bikers to switch to your products.
4x4s are so popular because they’re so cheap. I can get them from Nashbar for $24.99. My Dutch boy instincts won’t let me spend twice as much for something that does the same thing. However, I would buy yours if you could convince me that they would last longer, be more comfortable or protective, I’ll buy them.

+1

I got the 661’s 4X4 for 8 months.
They are goodlooking and not hot at all in the summer.
But my problem with them are the protection grade.
I got some pedalbites trough the shin protection, so they don’t work to good for me.
Maybe I will try the KH’s when my 661’s are destroyed.

PM