Singletrackin: Munis vs Bikes

Never been one to keep threads on topic…

Right: this country is officially the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain includes England, Scotland and Wales.

Don’t ask why.

As for the original topic - you won’t keep up with a rider with similar fitness/ability. Even on really tight twisty stuff the bike can be pretty quick, and occasional open bits will really make a difference.

However, there are many fat lazy slow bikers. Also, a group of bikers goes many, many times slower than a single biker, so a unicyclist would have plenty of chances to catch up.

John

I’d like to apologize for my inappropriate non-unicyicle post. Sorry about that.

Sorry

Wow thats pretty good: “7.5 mph with my 24x3”. Actually, really really good.

I’m sorry that I mouthed-off so much, my bike doesn’t matter at all here.

I’ve got a Sun 24 with a negeval 24x2.5 tire, and a sun 28 with stock tire, so I understand that 7.5 mph is really good. Wow, I that speed is hard for me even on the 28, my average is like 6.5.

Ride On!

Cool, thanx, now I know…So that means that when I hear some English guys say that they’re from the UK. That’s like if I want to convey that I live in Detroit by saying that I live in the United States. Or if I want to say that I’m American by saying that I live in the western hemisphere…

And to everyone that thinks that I’m asking for advice or help or whatever, I’m not. I was only asking if any of YOU guys can keep up with bikers, not if you think I’ll be able to. I know how fast I go, and how fast bikers go, I was just wondering if any of you phenoms could keep up on a tight, twisty, ST.

SingleTrak’n for life.

Hey, stop apologizing, say what you think. I was merely making a joke at your expense…I like to do that. :slight_smile:

And yeah, I had no idea I could go that fast off-road. I go way slower ON the road than off. Guess it’s just a “fun” thing.

The UK is a country made up of several smaller parts. So if someone English or Scottish says they’re from the UK, that’s like you saying that you come from the USA. Think of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as being like states in the US, simple.

Joe

hmm…seems like I shoulda paid attention in geography class more often…Okay, so let me follow up my previous two dumb questions with yet another. Does this mean that you have a citizenship of UK, or each of the parts? Is there one government that controls all of the UK over each of the “constituent contries”? Damn, I never knew I didn’t know so much.

<crawling back into little, safe, comfortable hole>

On the single track I regularly ride, Thetford Forest, Norfolk, UK (or is that GB) I am significantly faster on my bike than on my muni, 26x3.
There is no general gradient at Thetford as there are no hills to speak of anywhere in that part of the country but a lot of the course is made up of moguls.
The higher speed on the bike could partly be because I have been mountain biking for years but only muniing for about 6 months but imho I will never attain the same speed on one wheel that I can on two.
On this terrain on the bike, which is a lightish hardtail, I ride a fairly high gear, attack the pedals just one or two revs at a time when I can and carry speed through the corners by riding around the berms.
With its’ much lower potential speed I just don’t see that I will ever get to the same riding speed with the uni.

And quite frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn, as I’m having an absolute hoot on one wheel.

I’ve ridden Thetford on a 29er in a race. I didn’t come last, but there were a lot of people in front of me who were significantly less fit than me, and the people behind me were well and truly unfit. Thetford is classic relatively easy, flat cross country riding that a bike will just go so so much faster over.

Joe

I know it’s the other thread that is ripe for the threadjack, but I can’t help notice a strange coincidence of locations going on…

<------

Phil

Ok Phil I stretched the truth a bit, I actually live in Upton, but I thought that for the sake of ease of identification for others I would put Malvern. I do ride the Malverns though, have been for years on two wheels and this year have started on one.
Thetford is my ride when I’m working away, which is most weeks, and is more suited to me at the moment as I’m still struggling to get up any reasonable hills on the muni.