Singlespeed-a-Palooza Race April NEWBURGH, NY, US (each year)

KH29 x 150mm (non-geared). Yeah - flats - WTF?

Thanks, Mike. You’d love it - perfect 29er terrain.

I just swapped back on my guni wheel today, leaving the flat-tired 1-speed wheel hanging in the shed for now.

But…I’m pretty sure it’s a pinch-flat. There were a bunch of quick, steep hills dropping into various terrain, including rocks and roots, and it certainly felt like I may have bottomed-out a few times.

I’ll add this race to my calendar for next year.
Maybe I’ll join you.

Though I only have the 24" guni.
I wonder if they would notice, or care. But perhaps I’ll acquire a single speed 29’er by then. Who knows.

Thanks for the write up. I love hearing about the supportive mtb’ers.
Different number of wheels, same passion.

From my local bike shop forum:

That’s AWESOME! Thanks Buzz!

Muni failure sucks… Steve, you ROCK!!!
We’ll get you some competition in the one wheel division next year :wink:

Registration for this year opens tomorrow at noon. Apparently last year filled up very quick, so if you’re doing it prepare to sign up tomorrow! But first let me know!

I’m interested but not sure I want to be the only one. So I haven’t signed up. Meeting up with someone would help make the nearly 5 hour drive more appealing too.

2013 Bikereg here
New for 2013 - ONE 25 MILE LAP!
<gulp>
Well, at least we won’t get lapped!

it’s dawning on me that I should probably train for something like this.

Welcome to the forums elrohir. What’s your story? Do you already ride muni? Where abouts do you live?

I just registered.
Come on… anyone else!!!

OK, I’m registered. Now for some serious training…

Well, I saw you’d both signed up, so I was starting to reconsider. Went to the website. All categories are closed. Sold out in a couple hours apparently. Wow!

I recommend a short/medium cranked 29er, or a medium/long cranked 36er. My Coker’s crank bolts loosened up my first try in this race, so either a KH36 or Coker w/tightening tools.

Actually, with a 25 mile single loop, I’d bring tools if I was riding it, regardless of wheel-type. There was a central hub with equipped volunteers which we rode through a few times, and this may still be the case.

That’s crazy how fast it filled up.
I wouldn’t think single-speed mtb is so popular. Maybe it’s just an awesome event?

Robi and I shall represent.

There might be a chance to get in if anyone else was hoping.
Posted on Dark Horse Cycle’s facebook:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d let another uni or two in. By email, George, the owner, sounds very welcoming to us muni riders.
Contact info on the Dark Horse website here.

They added 50 slots to the race, and the Men’s slots evaporated immediately. Yes, this race is that fun.

They’re waiting a week to try to get more females into the race, then shooting an email to wait-listed folks. I’m now on that email list.

I just registered.

Steveyo got in too!
That’s four of us. Sweet!

It looks like registration online is open again, but I see 296 registrants. Only 4 more slots open. If anyone wants in you better act fast.

Now 2 spots left…

All filled up.

I was curious about where everyone is coming from. I took the list of registrant info from BikeReg and used a website called BatchGeo to create
this google map

Thought it was cool to see that way.

Oh sure, now we have 4 unicyclists. There goes my chance of placing in the unofficial unicycle class. I’m switching to a penny-farthing.

…Just kidding. I wouldn’t know what to do with two wheels. This is going to be awesome!

Dude - I’m pretty sure I own the best odds for the DFL* trophy.

Dead F**ing Last