Simplicity: a 16mm film experimental unicycle film

Howdy!

I finally uploaded Simplicity, an experimental 16mm film I produced earlier this year. Unicyclists Eyal Aharoni and Danny Jolles helped me make the film, which was selected for UCSB’s annual Reel Loud Film Festival this past May. Also, Simplicity ran in the video competition at Unicon XIV in Copenhagen.

A bunch of my friends composed the music, and performed it live at the Reel Loud Film Festival. This show is quite a unique film festival since every movie has an accompanying live music act, to the side of the stage. The audio in this quicktime file is from a recording on-stage.

http://unicyclejester.com/vids/simplicity_hires.mov - QT, 189 mb

Sincerely,

Jess

Crap!! “Simplicity: a 16mm film experimental unicycle film” … Can any moderators fix this? Title errors kill me. Thanks, Jess

ummm…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWAIIEP0n2c
lol

well made movie, the lead in was a little long, but it works.

NICE!!!

Very good filming, as always Jess!

btw. will you be at Wunschkonzert?

Wow, you really did make it look like 16mm is worse than super-8! Were all those effects done in-camera? Any digital post-processing? The end effect makes the film look old and surreal, like a stupid-bike-crash-induced hallucination. :slight_smile:

Who played the nude guy?

Somehow I missed this film at unicon. Realy nice I like the camera work.

Now I want to go out and ride to bad that it is rainy and dark outside.

Jess man, super cool!

Very well done. Did you edit in film mode (analog, like moviola) or digitize and edit as video?

Do you have a youtube version?

– I’m still undecided… ;p

– Danny Jolles. He filmed the parts with me riding, and is an aspiring unicyclist.

– Good question… First I digitized the film when I got it back from the lab, using a really cheap telecine unit we have in the UCSB film studies hall. Then I edited a rough cut together using Adobe Premiere. Because it was so expensive to shoot, I didn’t really have a lot of extra footage. The digital editing was extremely useful for figuring out the MTB bail scene… I had a few shots to work with and I had to make it looks as real as possible. Next, I spent a long time in a little editing room cutting and splicing together my print. The result looked pretty good when projected in the 800-seat Campbell Hall (where the film festival was), despite all the issues I had getting a clear frame. After everything, I did one more telecine on the funky equipment I mentioned previously. Properly done, one would use the service of a company like FotoKem, and have a great looking digital version. The only post-processing I did was to tilt the entire frame so it wasn’t crooked.

– Sorry, no. …maybe download the quicktime overnight?

Peace and love!

-Jess

Bravo … I really and truly enjoyed that and the live music with fiddle and chanting wails was brilliant.

Very cool video Jess, well done !!!

So you only used telecine for a rough cut, but did the final editing old school? Very impressive! I assume the overcranked slow-mos were done in-camera too. What you’ve done is becoming a lost art and looks great because it’s so different and has a genuine vintage feel. Make more please!

OMG, that was awesome!!!

Yay Jess! I’ve been waiting for this to get uploaded :slight_smile: