mount left and right footed
jump mount
free jump mount
hop many times
ride backwards 2 turns of the wheel
180 to right
not so good idle back and forth twice

but i can’t get the side mount down…
i have read that most can do it in a day of practice and its so easy ect. i did it once and barely rode away… everything else comes so naturally.

Re: side mount??

In article <eatfood11.k78sm@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
eatfood11 <eatfood11.k78sm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)but i can’t get the side mount down…
)i have read that most can do it in a day of practice and its so easy
)ect. i did it once and barely rode away… everything else comes so
)naturally.

The first thing to practice in the side mount is just balancing while
standing on the pedal/crank. Lean the unicycle over and put your foot
on the pedal. The lean of the unicycle should be such that you can
stand briefly on the pedal while holding the seat and not changing the
lean of the unicycle. Get used to the feeling of just standing on
the pedal like that–you’ll come to realize that you have quite a bit
of time to do the side mount.

Then to do the mount itself, you do the same standing motion, and just
bring your free leg around the front of the seat, sit on the seat, and
kick the free pedal back with your free leg.

As with most things, it just takes practice, and everyone has their own
feelings of difficulty.
-Tom

Is a reverse sidemount just swinging your leg around the back of the seat instead? Because I’ve done that but haven’t quite gotten my leg around the front.

Nikki

Yes Nikki that’s correct.

I find on the side mount that I do best if I take some time, after I have put my foot on the bottom pedal, to feel the pressure of the seat sideways against my hand. If you move the seat forward and back you will feel a kind of “hump” of pressure; more in the middle, less towards the front and back. If when you start the mount, the seat is forward of that hump, then you are more likely to be over balanced to the front. If when you start the mount, the seat is behind that hump (towards you), then you are more likely to be over balanced to the back. In general, I found I had the most consistent results when the seat was in the middle of the hump.

Hope that helps.

I forgot – there’s a side-mount video here.

Re: side mount??

when u do the side mount with the foot going around the saddle a couple of times, do u move your hands like a gymnast doing that funny twirling thing on the pommel horse?
i seem to have the stability to stand on the pedal for a while, but that goes for a case of canaries as soon as i start swinging my foot around
suggestions?

I am currently teaching myself the side mount … or what I call the side mount. I hold the seat away from my body to balance my weight on my left foot, then swing my other leg around the back of the uni whilst pulling the seat in and twisting it around a bit.
The problem is that I end up on this huge lean and have to quicly pedal out of it. Its ok for now, but id much rather learn to do a nice calm version of this.

And after seeing andrews vids, I tried a suicide mount today. Ouch.

Yes basically you swap hands like the pommel horse. I’ve done twice-around but not more. In 1WNL Andy Cotter does also three times around and four times around.

He also does a twice around where he just uses one hand and lets go of the saddle while his leg passes over - very neat looking.

I found that if you think in two different stages it helps. The first time around is one sort of motion, then the second time is like a side mount. Other than that I haven’t done it enough to have better advice.