Should I get a Coker?

Re: Re: Should I get a Coker?

I would say if your riding any unicycle regularly it should be no big deal. Maybe a minute or two of adjusting to the size. If you are an irregular rider of moderate to low skill to start with it can be a challange. I would say I am a low skill rider. I just don’t have the time in the saddle to become proficient jumping stairs etc… One reason I like the Coker is I don’t have to really learn how to jump stairs, riding it is fun enough. That being said, due to surgery, work, two huge construction projects at home, early arrival of my second daughter, and cold weather I have not been on my Coker for about 2 months or much of any unicycle for that matter. I was able to mount and ride the first time out. Not as proficient as I had been, but a day in the saddle should change that.

Gild, I laughed and I laughed when I saw that. Just saying “first” coker without even realizing it, somehow, I am very proud of myself!
And while I have your attention:

On another forum the subject of wine came up. You mentioned this wine from South Africa, of which I have not had the pleasure of checking out…YET.
I just want to say that EVERY wine I have ever drank from South Africa was UNBELIEVEABLY GREAT! (and I say this as someone who is very very familiar with french wine, having lived there a lot…) The first time was a few years ago in Brussels, I was at a party and there were all these bottles from South Africa, sadly I do not recall which particular vinyard, but it was outstanding. I’ve been a fan since.
In New York, we get a brand called “Goats Do Roam” which is a play on Cote du Roam" (I spelled it wrong I think) from S.A. --It’s been a hit with everyone I’ve introduced it to…
Anyway, I dont mean to shift this thread from Cokers to Wine, but in a way, the two are not so exclusive of each other.
If Munis are beer, maybe cokers would be wine?..

All right, let’s compromise: buy S. African wine AND a Coker. Just don’t mix 'n match.

Re: Should I get a Coker?

Thanks all for the encouragement. I’m also interested in Schlumpf’s
geared hub and I hear they intend to sell the hub in a 36" unicycle
later this year which I’ve set my eyes on. Many of you might disagree
but I think it’s silly to own two 36" unis. (MM will say I only loose
$100 which is probably right - except for double -or triple-
shipping.) Also, Cokering seems not the greatest in winter (I hardly
ride my 29’er either in winter, it’s MUni time like KK said) so I’ll
wait some more. With all your voices in my head. :slight_smile:

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 04:13:51 -0600, “joemarshall” wrote:

>How far do you live from your work? If it’s 10 miles or less, you’ve got
>no excuse for being an occasional rider.
About 10 miles, 30% of it city ride. What would stop me though is
rain, or even chance of rain - I HATE rain as also stated on
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/weather.htm>.

>The other thing that riding it a lot gains you is the chance to ride
>with short cranks. That really requires some extra leg strength which
>you only gain by riding.
Is it a matter of leg strength? I would think it’s more a matter of
fine control. Not really a practical difference because it requires a
lot of riding anyway. I have tried 110 cranks on my 29’er but found
125’s more comfortable. And since that UPD when I could just BARELY
run out, I rarely ride faster than 20 - 22 km/h anyway.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

It’s impossible to get old when you ride a unicycle - John (what’s in a name) Childs

well like most Coker threads this one is very long winded. it was a simple question and i will restate my experience.

Which uni have you liked enough to keep? I’ve ridden your SH29er and it was sweet. How could you ever part with it?

I partially agree with Jagur. For urban places, where there’ll be many people walking and cars and all that stuff, I wouldn’t suggest a Coker. It’s harder to stop, harder to control, etc. if you’ll be riding in crowded areas, then I would suggest going with the 29er. But if you’ll be going on a lot of simple fun distance rides, then I think the Coker would be the better choice.

I disagree. I am as comfortable on this as any other. And am under as much control (and more in many instances)

These things are harder once you first get it, but with a little practice, it’s all good.

HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR.

Was wonderin’ if someone might get around to asking that question.

its not the uni’s that ive kept but the wheel sizes ive gone with, true ive sold alot of unicycles, but only sold one Coker…my opinion in this thread has nothing to do with sell or trade anyway…?

easy come, easy go…ive never missed it…

I love cokering in urban places! I love maneuvering around cars and people and urban stuff. While it doesn’t have the “instant stop” capabilities of a smaller uni, and it’s somewhat less maneuverable, it is still Very maneuverable, more so than a b*ke.

For me, at first the coker was intimidating, but I find that the longer I ride it, the smaller it gets.

Also, being very visible in urban settings is very useful. People are more likely to get out of your way.

Furthermore, smaller obstacles are more challenging on a coker than on a smaller uni. This can make a ride that would be boring on a 26" much more interesting.

Plus there’s the “Zen” feeling that coker riding gives you. Nothing else has it.

as well u should be:)

i’ve seen “Goats do Roam” in some south african bottle stores but have never actually tried any of their wines
my girlfriend just started a wine course
she’s allways been a bit of a winey (spent three months travelling around Rioja a couple of years ago), so i’m looking forward to helping her with her homework
:wink:

yeah, i think your Coker/wine analogy is pretty accurate

as well u should be:)

i’ve seen “Goats do Roam” in some south african bottle stores but have never actually tried any of their wines
my girlfriend just started a wine course
she’s allways been a bit of a winey (spent three months travelling around Rioja a couple of years ago), so i’m looking forward to helping her with her homework
:wink:

yeah, i think your Coker/wine analogy is pretty accurate

u have to bear in mind that south african started the idea of a ‘Wine Route’
a whole host of Wine Estates linked by public roads
the idea being that one would travel from one to the other, sampling their individual delights
because only in South Africa will we turn Drinking and Driving (D.U.I.) into a tourist attraction
:roll_eyes:

Re: Re: Should I get a Coker?

There’s nothing scary about rain, just buy a raincoat and fit a mudguard. You don’t get cold if you keep pedalling.

I think leg strength is a big thing with short cranks, firstly because you have much more fine control when you’re not pushing your hardest all the time and secondly because not having the leg strength limits you as far as hills go. I’ve got a hill on my commute that’s stony and a bit muddy and pretty steep. It’s taken me several weeks of commuting with 110s to get up the strength to clear it regularly.

Joe

I think I know where I’ll be going for my next vacation!

Actually, wine tasting and cokering might make an excellent combination–imagine a series of vinyards that are connected by rural roads (as wine country often is no matter where in the world)–and the unicyclists travel from tasting spot to tasting spot (I say unicyclists because this does not have to be a uniquely cokering adventure). It could be fun and interesting provided that there is a designated driver at the end of the day with a truck to carry the unicycles–and a video camera to capture the “excellent” riding by the time the final vinyard has been sampled!

Count me in! I’ve seen photographs of the landscape and geography in South Africa and I think it may be the most beautiful place in the world… so if I could enjoy that + excellent wine + Coker riding… and make a little time to do some flying (hang glider or helicopter, to get an aerial view) I think it would probably be the most AMAZING vacation of my lifetime! Perhaps we can get a group rate!

Plus, I’d get the chance to meet some friends from the forum, including the rare opportunity to meet my like-minded friend GILD, who, being a local and all, knows the inside scoop on where else to go (in addition to wine tasting) - and can give us all the grand tour!

Without having read this whole thread, I’ll offer a bit of experience from a group ride I did last May. We rode up Mt. Diablo, about 3300’ of climb on paved roads (then we rode down, but that’s another story). Our group consisted of Cokers and 29ers.

Toward the end, it was me (29er) and Mike Scalisi (Coker) at the back of the pack. He tended to go faster on the Coker. Then we switched places, and I tended to go faster on the Coker. So it wasn’t the rider, or the fitness level. What it boiled down to at that point was cadence.

When riding up a hill that goes on forever, you eventually work your way down to your lowest possible cadence. That is, you find yourself cranking at a very low speed, generally the lowest you can manage without losing control. Whatever speed that is, it’s going to automatically be faster on a Coker. Crank arm length doesn’t matter at this point, either.

Riders in better shape than we were can probably climb the whole mountain without getting down to that lowest cadence, but that’s why I listed it as a hill that goes on forever.

So, all other things being equal (like rider conditioning), the Coker is the faster ride up the mountain. Going down, on the other hand, could be different. Especially if you don’t have any brakes! My knees were punished badly enough on the 29er with no brakes…

yep,sure are but getting a Coker wheel thats weighs as little as a 700c wheel just isnt going to happen. on a hill that never ended i’d put my money on the ligher 29er. if the same person tryed riding the endless hill on both i think the 7 or 8 pound differance would catch and outlast a Coker.

How about this…
Coker UP the mountain.
Enjoy some wine.
Muni DOWN the mountain.
Could be good! :slight_smile:

Although a lot more boring once you get on the MUni