Should I change saddles right before race?

So I just got a KH Airseat conversion from UDC. This Saturday, June 11 is my Whiteface Mtn Hillclimb race (www.whitefacerace.com).

Question is, should I swap it with the stock seat on my KH29 two days prior to my race? I wasn’t even going to ride much or at all between now and then.

Is the airseat going to make free-mounting weird? Is it too close to raceday for an equipment change? I always try to be using race-day gear for a month in advance.

If you’re not sure about freemounting, the answer is an obvious no.

I myself wouldnt think it makes a difference, but I’ve never ridden an airseat before…

Maybe if it matters that much lower the seat just a tad.

Does anyone find that changing to an airseat affected their free-mounting?

Re: Should I change saddles right before race?

The airseat I have on mine only took one or two mounts to get used to. I would be more worried about the ride itself. To me it felt like my tire was a little low. It also makes the smaller bumps less notisable, and it took me a few days to agust my reactions.

Don’t change to an air seat so soon before a big ride. The air seat may not go together as well as you expect. You could have problems getting it together and then you’d be left with a nonfunctional seat for the race.

Air seats can be a bit wonky and require a couple iterations of tucking and rearranging to get them just right. If you have the double over dogbone style air pillow you’ll have to experiment with ways of keeping it from flopping over to the side. You may have problems with it bulging out in the middle narrow area of the seat which would cause your legs to bow out more. That would be uncomfortable and could cause big time leg soreness on a big ride or a race ride. After you get the tube and air pillow all sorted it may take a couple of rides to figure out the right air pressure.

Lots of things that could mess up the seat. Not a good idea to be risking those problems right before a big ride.

OK, that’s what I meant. Thanks, JC.

Thanks all. Wish me luck.

sure, good luck.

dont get tempted into changing it from now till Saterday. the rule is always “dont take anything un-proven into a race”

dont forget there may be chance you dont like the air.

Steve, John was 100% on the money. My airseat conversion took some time to get right. I took it apart three times till I got it to work perfectly and stop it from hanging out the side.
Good luck on the ride and sorry I could’nt make it.

Maybe I’ll see you at the tomb some time.

Adam

i’d say 85%… John didnt mention that some people find the foam better than the air.

And I didn’t mention my airseat gallery where I show an alternative design for an air seat. I don’t like the UDC folded over dogbone style of air seat which is why I went through the trouble of making something different. It’s a hybrid foam seat and air seat.

• JustOneWheel said: “I’ll see you at the tomb some time.”

I’ll make it sometime again.

• John_Childs said: “…my airseat gallery where I show an alternative design for an air seat. I don’t like the UDC folded over dogbone style of air seat which is why I went through the trouble of making something different. It’s a hybrid foam seat and air seat.”

Your airseat photos are what inspired me to ask UDC to include the foam leftovers from from the seat conversion, as I plan to try out that top slice of foam idea of yours. Now that I have one good foam seat to swap on and off, I can experiment with the air seat.
After my race.

• jagur said: "dont get tempted into changing it from now till Saterday. the rule is always “dont take anything un-proven into a race”

I’m not swapping seats until after.