Shoes

Re: Brahma

I also took a dive on Saturday, and sprained my middle toe. It’s black and blue. I wear blue Reebok sneakers that do not offer enough protection. This is what can happen with a soft toe shoe…
:frowning:

Re: Re: Brahma

I lost part of my big toenail this year when my toe made contact with a root or a rock. :astonished:

A shoe that has better protection for the toes than your typical skate shoe would be better. But I haven’t found that perfect shoe yet. There are work shoes that have steel toes. But none of the ones I’ve seen would be good for muni riding. For now I still like my Vans or Duallies.

Re: Shoes

never mind shoes… what about shin and knee protection. oww!

black and blue

if it doesn’t have wheels it’s broken

niwatori

Re: Shoes

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 23:56:35 -0500, “john_childs” wrote:

>There
>are work shoes that have steel toes. But none of the ones I’ve seen
>would be good for muni riding.

In fact that is the type of shoes I use for MUni. To my satisfaction
but I haven’t used any of the recommented shoes. Why were those you
saw not good, John? Did the tread patterns not lock to pedal pins?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne”

I know I have seen steel toed skate shoes somewhere…

Googling didn’t turn them up…but I am fast to quit.

Re: Re: Shoes

There are athletic style work shoes that have steel toes. Skechers makes some. Other shoe makers also make similar athletic style work shoes.

Unfortunately they’re too much work shoe and not enough skate shoe or muni shoe. They don’t have a completely flat sole like a skate shoe. The tread pattern is also not to my liking. I don’t want a show with a heel and I want a shoe with a completely flat sole (no pseudo heel or cut away section under the arch). The soles are also usually designed to be oil resistant which makes them less ideal for gripping pinned pedals.

I really like the Vans and the Dually for muni. Both shoes grip very well on my pinned pedals. Given the choice between my Vans or the steel toe shoes that I’ve seen, I’ll pick my Vans. There are times when the extra grip of the Vans and the flat sole of the Vans is what saves me from a UPD.

If I can find an ideal steel toed shoe I’ll give them a try, but I’m not going to try them if I feel their design is sub standard for my muni use.

Hurting my toes is a really rare event. It’s only happened once to me so far. Even then it was rather minor. I did loose part of my toenail, but I didn’t break my toe and I was still able to walk just fine. The injury didn’t affect my muni riding. I don’t expect it to happen again for quite a while.

my new ipath’s are really grippy , the sole is just lots of raised i path logos, theyre super comfortable , not to flexy and as i said really grippy on my pinned pedals. much better than my duff’s gamblers.

never wear puma sprints for riding, they are crap!

My shoes suck for gliding…

oops no, it’s just me.

I wear hightop Basketball shoes. Not for ankle support but for ankle protection. When that inside anklebone nails the crank as it comes around it brings tears to my eyes. Those popular Converse hightops provide no protection as far as I’m concerned. And the souls are too floppy. Mine are thicker up at the ankle…padded. I’ve had no problems at all with lack of grip. They say “Shaq” across the ankle strap.

i wear a pair of adidas cross trainers. mostly because my vans wore out and i’m poor :frowning: they work pretty well, but i’m thinking of buying some wal-mart skate shoes for some more serious muni-ing this fall.

A lot of talk about muni shoes, but what are peoples favorites for trials? I use my duallys for muni and trials, but im thinkin about getting some vans for trials instead. Would they work better for trials then the 661’s?

I use an old and beat up pair of dc’s because they seem to work great and have lots of padding.

I also hear that etnies are good

My brother insists on wearing sandals for MUni, but my parents don’t like that too much and so he wears cross trainers whenever someone catches him uniing in sandals and yells at him.

I’ve had good luck offroad with a cheap pair of hiking shoes I found at the flea market. They’re built like hiking boots, but with no ankle coverage. The sole has an oversized, grippy boot tread that always seems to catch the pedal right when I think I’m going to lose it.

It’s really all about the tread. If you’re MUni riding in dirty / muddy / rocky conditions, a pair of skate shoes will be as good as a pair of banana peels on your feet :slight_smile:

you know what else is good, is the “old skool” VANS high tops (i think they are call sk8 hi) click here

There aren’t any special unicycle-shoes are there? I wish there were because we are writing about different kinds of shoes at school and what they are made out of. (Don’t ask me why). If there was a unicycle shoe I couldwrite about that. Until I find out I’m writing about bike-shoes.

You could write about freeride shoes. Those are the closest that you’ll come to unicycle specific shoe for muni or trials.

Lake Cycling has the Richie Schley freeride shoe

661 has the Dually

And there are some others who make downhill/freeride/BMX specific shoes that might be good for unicycling.

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by john_childs
[B]
You could write about freeride shoes. Those are the closest that you’ll come to unicycle specific shoe for muni or trials.

Thanks,I’ll do that.

You could write about my shoes, they smell…

Mine too, but nobody’s interested in them… :smiley:

I just bought the Adidas Samba’s in black, and rather than make a new thread, I thought I would rather just bump this than make a new thread. They grip well and are comfy, they have pretty good spring but this friday I will put them to the test, when i go for my Nevada Day, Carson Parade/Urban Assault Ride.

Clickity Clickity