shoes

hi im wondering what kind of shoes (type) you need for unicycling
peace out
jus-10

regular 'ol tennis shoes/ running shoes/cross-trainers. Steel toed of course. Remember try to have fun in this group. Don’t take it so seriously numbnuts.

I find unicycling really develops your quad muscles. Do you find this to be the case for you also?

Go wit da flow

Justin-

If you’re looking for shoes for skill development, most folks agree that a flat soled model is the best to go with for moving your foot around on the pedal, wheel walking, setting your foot on the crown, etc. Converse or Van’s seem to fit the bill. I just recently found a pair of air-walks that I like that have flat soles.

For MUni-ing, there are more varied opinions on what is best. Some like hiking boots with a heel to keep from slipping off the pedals. Some like skate-board shoes. Search the past threads and you’ll probably find more suggestions of brands that are appropriate.

Doug Massey will tell you to wear spiked heels. Don’t listen to him.

The majority of Van or Airwalk shoes will do the trick. If you’re riding on platform style pedals (metal ones with pins) then try to find a pair of shoes with a good grip pattern on the bottom of it. Something similiar to the 80s Van shoes will do the trick. The 80s van shoes are great, but you’ll have to find high-tops to protect your ankles a bit more.

I noticed that many people at the conventions wore Converse, expecialy for freestyle and artistic, even some of the Japanese competitiors had em. Vans worked for me, Duffs, Awalks, NSS.
I like the flat sole kind, cause when you have that curve in the shoe, it throws me off when i do tricks, because sometimes your feet dont land where you want them to. So i would keep it flat, thats good for me.

PeAcE~

Flat and thin. Thin griping for gliding, otherwize it slows you down too much.

PeAcE~

Re: shoes

MasterYoda wrote:
>
> I noticed that many people at the conventions wore Converse, expecialy
> for freestyle and artistic, even some of the Japanese competitiors had
> em. Vans worked for me, Duffs, Awalks, NSS.
> I like the flat sole kind, cause when you have that curve in the
> shoe, it throws me off when i do tricks, because sometimes your feet
> dont land where you want them to. So i would keep it flat, thats good
> for me.

I’ve been wearing Converse sneaks for probably 25 years and wore them
when I was first learning to unicycle this summer. I generally found
them okay, but they slipped quite a lot in the rain. I switched to some
North Face hiking shoes and they gripped the pedals really well (plastic
and pin pedals). They grip so well that my feet get nailed to the pedals
and I have a hard time adjusting my feet once planted. It gets better
with practice and they are really good shoes though a little expensive
at about $100.00 USD.

Cheers,

Jason

justin_kozy wrote:

>
> hi im wondering what kind of shoes (type) you need for unicycling
> peace out
> jus-10

I like the cheap Nike sneakers with the ziz-zag pattern on the sole. They
fit well with bear trap pedals and provide good traction for wheel walking.

Beirne

Beirne “Bern” Konarski
beirne@neo.rr.com “Untouched by Scandal”

it depends on what your doing. i usually use either tennis shoes, or sandals, but i found that hiking boots were good for practicing, with the ankle support, slightly pointed toe and narrowness. Thw main thing i see with shoes is a flat bottom, and a good tred pattern for a good grip

i am also in the market for a good pair of shoes, and i am wondering if anyone has some advice–i tend to curl my toes down when i cycle, sometimes to the point that they cramp n stuff. i tried relaxing them, but then i dont get good enuf connection with the pedals, esp. when doing hills and stuff, and anything overly technical. bike shoes are hard so they can maximise efficientcy & energy transfer between foot and pedal, and i was wondering if that would help my problem. only trouble, i havent found any shoes that have a fairly stiff sole

I bought, and love my Airwalks. Vans seemed like the same kinda also, but alas, they are not as good (the particular kind of Vans I have)

I can only account for Airwalks and Vans. I find that a puffier type flat soled shoe is better. My Airalks have a big puffy tongue, where my van’s do not. A puffier tongue means, more padding around the top and back of the shoe as well. My (particular style) Vans are more Reebok runners than Airwalks, and thin, and unappealing.

My next shoe, judging fron reviews, will be the AXO dually. Designed to be cut for mountainbike cleats, or left alone for flat pedals.

With stiff soled shoes you will find that the shoe will slip and skate on the pedals because the siff sole won’t dig in to the pins on the pedal. You won’t get as much traction on the pedals with stiff shoes.

I have some Vans VMX Flat (non-SPD) shoes that are fairly stiff. I tried them for muni just once. They didn’t work well. When I hit a bump my feet would slip on the pedals. I also found it more difficult to feel the pedal under my foot to be able to tell how the pedal was positioned. I like the Vans VMX Flat for Coker riding, but I don’t use them for muni.

You might try adding an insole support to your current shoes. Dr. Scholl’s makes a sport insole that has a butterfly shaped piece of plastic under the arch. That plastic arch support gives some extra stiffness to the shoe while still letting the sole flex and grip to the pedals. If you’re having problems with the toes curling you might need to try a more custom insert support that extends up to the toes. But custom inserts get expensive.

I just got the Vans Sk8 Hi tops, and they are an excellent uni shoe. They have ankle padding and support, and an extremely grippy sole. The waffle tread pattern is deeper than most other Vans shoes, and the sole is flexy, giving you great feel of the pedals. I wouldn’t recommend them to people who have a hard time repositioning there feet, cause these shoes really grab the pedals and hold.

Ben

There is a tradeoff in sole stiffness:

Soft, flexible soles like the old vans (waffle bottom) or running shoes let you feel the pedals and stick to them better, but you waste some energy as each push bends the shoe so that your toes or heel dips below the plane of the pedal. Also, my feet got beat up from UPDs without much padding.

Stiff soles like mountain boots have better energy transfer and protection but I can’t feel the pedals, and they slide all over the place.

For me, a skate shoe with a stiffer sole is a good compromise. I shop by grabbing the toe and heel and seeing if i can bend the shoe. Not up (like walking) but down (like pedalling). Good flat soles that don’t bend much but still allow me to feel the ground or pedal work well for me.

Skate shoes are big and puffy too, which makes my feet feel like hotdogs in a bun and protects them well. New Vans and Airwalks are good, with strong stitching tested by skaters. $30-40 USD if you shop around and don’t mind goofy looking unpopular models.

-Sam

I’m using the Kirchart/Emerica Skateboard shoe for freestyle. Pricey but
worth it. Stiffest sole I’ve use yet and the sole is real good for gliding.
Totally comfy and solid - my foot doesnt’ slide around at all.

I’m using 661 Dually high tops for Muni - great boot for Muni. It has a good
tread pattern for excellent pedal grip and the high top saves your ankles.
Sole is not very stiff but that can be easily fixed with an insert from what
I hear.

Joe Merrill

Ben,

You weren’t clear about your SK8’s. Are you using them for UNi only or MUni too?

Thanks

MUni and Trials, mostly. Thats the kind of riding I reviewed the shoes for. They work well for freestyle also.

Ben