Shoes for shlumpf shifting

Hello all
So I’m in my second week of schlumpf ownership
And still having a blast

I can shift up. Just about and occasionally down.

I found success in removing all the pins on the pedals and using very lightly gripped shoes

The way I’m shifting is I move around on the pedal until I feel the knock knock knock of the button on my heel bone then give a concerted push at the right time

The problem is I’m trashing my heel bone(s) (much more right than left)

So I’m thinking I need some mid / high top shoes. But I’m worried about how sticky 5 10 impacts and the like are

I laso know I need to work on 1 foot pedaling or at least being light on the pedals to make moving around easier

Any shoe suggestions? Or just any shoes plus time and technique?

I would suggest 5.10 Karvers, or any firm soled shoes that come up high enough to cover your ankles. This is especially helpful for GUni shifting and also for at least moderate ankle protection.

These shoes looks good i think: The Perfect Shoe: Shimano AM 41

I can shift with just about any shoe (even sandals). It’s all in the technique. I don’t shift with the side of my heel/ankle but by angling the bottom of my shoe inwards towards the crank until the HEEL of my shoe makes first contact with the shift knob not the side of my ankle. I think this method is more sustainable not only for your footwear but your overall health! Give it a shot. I like it a lot because it takes some of the randomness of the actual shift out of the equation because you get a much more solid HIT on the knob by using the heel of your shoe rather than the relatively soft side of your shoe.

^^^ what he said.

+1

+1

So yes the idea of shifting easily and repeatably in any shoe is very appealing. My trouble is I can’t seem to do it

So I’ll just check I have the idea right
Bend the foot so the toes especially outermost toes are contacting the Pedal. Rotating the knee slightly outward bringing the heel into path of button

Are we giving a shove to the button? Or letting the angled sole of shoe push the button as it contacts? Because I can’t seem to do either

Well I’m keeping trying anyway

Each time I’m out Im getting a few shifts and getting the practice In high gear. Maybe I’ll work out my own way. But good to hear what others have had success with

Thanks to all for the input so far

That sounds about right. The main issue with this sort of shifting (especially with those of us with small feet) is that you have to adjust or reposition the front of your foot and toes on the pedal so you can then turn your heel inward towards the crank. I had a lot more difficulty when I was trying to shift on my 150mm cranks. That issue went away nearly completely with the 137mm cranks. It became so easy to shift that I was accidentally shifting quite a bit so had to adjust the shift knobs inward! But this is a good problem to have means you can learn to really shift on the fly and as terrain dictates. Fun!

I’m not shoving at all, the whole shifting mechanism is spring loaded and under tension so all it should take is to make contact with the angled sole of the shoe.

Just keep practicing. This is the way myself and possibly most other riders shift I’d imagine as it’s the most sustainable and most flexible since you can use just about any kind of shoe to do it.

Good luck!

Like Munisano said, most shifts are due to poor heel position, so even if you “think” your feet is well positioned, for the time being tryto look down and see where your foot actually sits on the pedal.

Often when I miss a shift repeatedly I’ll look down and see that my feet is in contact with the crank (I can feel it rubbing), but I’m not hitting the button. So then I reposition my foot to hit the button.

If you get comfortable with shifting, you’ll relax more and then it might be easier to “pop” the button vs “rubbing it till it shifts”.

Muniaddict has a short video showing all the ways he’s learned to shift, quite the style that guy has :slight_smile:

Yeah yeah yeah
Got it or at least getting it

So been working on new shift technique this morning and I’m quite pleased. With the cranks I’ve got and the feet I’ve got I can get heel contact with my foot 2 or 3 cm back from my normal natural position. ( incidentally I think my normal position is a bit further forward than it probably should be, more arch of foot than ball)

I got quite a few really good shifts

Not only a good positive shift on 2nd or 3rd rotation but much less of a panic when he top gear engages. Seems much smoother. Although this may just be practice

Going to try riding all the way home this evening (1st time) get a few more miles in and a few more shifts

Thanks for the help one and all