Shin/Knee Pad selection (soft or hard?)

Hello,

I was wondering what shin/knee pads are better?

1. Hard plastic outer shell - see below
    http://www.vsportgroup.com/gear/popprotection/pop_comp.html

2. Soft outer pads - see below
    http://www.vsportgroup.com/gear/popprotection/pop_2x4.html

-Budd-

it really depends on what your doing. for example, high speed DH mtb racers use hard shell stuff like the 661 pro knee/shin and similar products, where as lower speed riders such as free riders and unicyclist tend to wave towords the soft shell, but I think hard shell is popular with all sorts of mtb’ers. However, I havent see anyone other than cliff wearing hard shell stuff on a unicycle.

ok

I see,

Well if the softies are more prefened, do they fit better? And are they easier to uni in?

-Budd-

I have a pair of the soft 661 4x4 knee-shin guards and really like them. I did a few serious crashes in them last night while MUniing and they seem to offer all the protection I need (without being restictive)

ok

Are they durable? Is is possible or even likely that you will be able to rip the nynal on them?

-Budd-

ok then…

hi,

Well now that i know what knee/shin pads i’m getting, was wrist guards are better?

1. the wrist wraps (no pics)

2. the full arm guards with the plate inside (no pics)

-Budd-

Go for the hard shell. Lizard skin makes a good knee/shin combo. I broke on of my knee cups last year and they exchanged them no questions asked.

I prefer the wrist wraps like skateboarders use. They have saved the heels of my hands (and probably my wrists, too) more times than I can count. I’ve only scraped my elbows one time. I sometimes were elbow pads when I think the chance of injury may be increased due to terrain, etc. I don’t really see the benefit of forearm guards for the type of riding I do (mostly MUni)

I like the soft shell pads like the 661 2x4 or Roach for muni and trials because they have a flap that wraps around the back of the calf and protects the back of the calf from pedal tracks. The soft shell pads are comfortable and not too hot.

The trick to the 661 2x4 and Roach pads is to get them long enough so they almost rest right on top of your shoe and still cover the knee. This will keep them from sliding down your leg during a crash.

Try to stay away from pads that use neoprene, especially if the neoprene wraps all the way around the leg. Neoprene doesn’t breathe and your legs will get very hot and sweaty. It looks like those 661 hard shell pads use neoprene.

Hard shell pads are better if you plan on crashing at higher speeds on pavement. The hard shell will slide on the pavement. Soft pads just stick to the pavement instead of sliding which can result in the pads getting forced down your leg.

For muni and trials the soft shell 661 or Roach pads offer enough protection for most crashes. However, if you land on sharp rocks just right you can still get cut up.

I like the full forearm and elbow pads when I’m riding a local trail that is in the trees and very twisty. I’ll use my forearms to block some of the trees and to help my to make some turns. I also like the elbow pads when I get crazy enough to ride stunts on the trail.

OK

John,

Thank you for your valuable knowledge. I am going to buy the 661 4x4’s, now i just need to get the right size.

About those full arm/wrist guards, what brand and how much?
Do you like the full finger or the half? Do they have the metal wrist bar inside?

-Budd-

I have worn the Dainese hard-shell version, and the sixsixone soft shell. for impacts, the dainese work best, but for general unicycling, the sixsixones are the way to go. this isn’t to say they’re great 100% of the time.

2 weekends ago i was riding, and was going to do a 6ft drop from a slipery metal, iced take-off. neadless to say, my tire slipped away from under me, and i fell on my right knee. My riding was hindered for the rest of the day, and it took a few days to get better. but i think this was one of the instances i would have been better wearing the other type of pads. It’s a toss-up! but i’m sure gald i was wearing my sixsixones, over nothing at all, i think i would have shattered my kneecap if i weren’t.

-Ryan

Re: OK

In my previous message I got the 4x4 and 2x4 pads mixed up. The 4x4 pads are for the legs and I kept calling them the 2x4.

For arm/elbow I use the Roach arm pads that are similar to the 661 2x4. I don’t usually ride with wrist guards. When I do wear wrist guards I prefer the style that allow me to wear my own gloves under them. I just wish that the Harbinger wrist wrap gove things came in a full finger version, that would be my favorite if they did. For gloves I like the full finger style.

Re: Shin/Knee Pad selection (soft or hard?)

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 15:29:20 -0500, john_childs
<john_childs.m3m4y@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>I just
>wish that the Harbinger wrist wrap gove things came in a full finger
>version, that would be my favorite if they did. For gloves I like the
>full finger style.

I can see that point protection-wise. A few days ago I had a serious
wipe-out in which I heavily slid over asphalt. While the Harbingers
truly saved my wrists, the half-fingers were just a tad to short, in
that I drew a bit of blood from one thumb.

But I still like the half-fingeredness. It enables me to manipulate
things like a camera, handkerchief etc.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“First things first, but not necessarily in that order.”

Have you ever injured your wrists even with your wrist guards on? What do you think is the best company to buy wrist/arm guards from?

-Budd-

WOW

I bought my 4x4 shin/knee guards and the are AWSOME! They saved my shins 3 times the first day. I can now go down quarter pipes at the skate park with out worrying.

Now i need the wrist or arm guards, any suggestions?

-Budd-

Re: Shin/Knee Pad selection (soft or hard?)

“unicycle_x” <unicycle_x.mxk5d@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:unicycle_x.mxk5d@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> I bought my 4x4 shin/knee guards and the are AWSOME! They saved my
> shins 3 times the first day. I can now go down quarter pipes at the
> skate park with out worrying.
>
> Now i need the wrist or arm guards, any suggestions?

Pro-Tec skateboard wristguards work great for me.

I just bought the 661 2X4 elbow/arm guards but haven’t tried them yet.

David Winston