shaving 26" tyre

has anyone ever thought about shaving a 26" tyre? ive seen it done to the 19" trials ones but never a muni…

19" rims seem to have been developed specifically for trials and so the only tires available are knobby trials tires. There are plenty smooth 26" tires readily available (in a variety of widths/volumes) so there’s no need to make your own. Could you do it? Sure.

19" rims seem to have been developed specifically for trials and so the only tires available are knobby trials tires. There are plenty of smooth 26" tires readily available (in a variety of widths/volumes) so there’s no need to make your own. Could you do it? Sure.

Okay, I give, why shave a 26" tire?

Yeah, why not shave my new 24x3.0 Gazzaloddi, that might look cool.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

There are probably a few people around here who would punch you if you did that for real. I might if it was a original run Gazz 26x3

I could see shaving a worn out MUni tire

Now there’s a thought - looking at getting a muni, but putting a slick on it to start. I don’t have any slicks big enough for the rim, but plenty of worn out off-road tyres.

what size of rim are you using :astonished:

+1

A Maxxis hookworm 26x2.5 is pretty huge (the tire pictured above). You would have to have the new Surly 100mm Clown Shoe rim for that tire to be too small. (Aside, that rim would not fit in any currently existing uni frames, not even the Oregon.)

Nvm

Looking at getting a Nimbus which comes with a 42mm rim. The point isn’t that I can’t get slick tyres wide enough, it’s that I don’t already own any wide enough (widest is a 1.4 I think), but have plenty of stock of old 2" knobblys.

Me thinks you’re looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t yet exist.

Just pump your muni tire up until it’s firm, I’m sure you’ll find that it turns very quickly and easilly on pavement, so much so that you end up dropping the pressure to slow down the action.

If you really want a road tire for your muni, then get a Hookworm.

Keep in mind that we’re talking 26" tires, not 24".

You can run down to a 2.25 on a 42mm rim with no problem, maybe skinnier, though I can’t imagine you’d want to…

I’ve played with a Big Apple 29x2.0 on a 47mm rim, which works fine. So yes, I’m sure you could go much narrower than 2.25" on a 42mm rim.

The general rule for road tires is don’t go skinnier than your rim. with a 42 you could go down to 1.65 and with a 47mm rim you could go down to 1.85".

Skinny tire on wide rim does increase the likelihood of rim-strikes and pinch flats though, so try to avoid potholes when leaning into a curve. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just buy a slick tire. Then you dont have to spend hours shaving a tire down, plus a factory slick tire vs a homemade slick tire feel completely different. I think you can get a Maxxis Hookworm for under 40$'s. Thats pretty cheap for a tire.

I was thinking more like 15 or 20 minutes with a dremel! I’m also unemployed, so supposedly on a budget (though clearly I can afford a new muni :wink: )

Even with a belt sander think at least an hour to do a good job. Modifying tires is never as fast as one thinks.

For buying a slick I would look at the Geax Tattoo. I haven’t tried one yet but looks decent and much lighter than a Hookworm.

For a spammer he is good - gets me every time!

Best slick tyre I’ve used is the standard Dura knobbly muni tyre :slight_smile:

3 weeks riding on roads/sidewalks and the knobs are worn flat- I’ve continued to use them in that state for years.