Serious Riders

I’d like to see unicycling progress to the next level…but yeah, you have to have fun while you do it!

In NZ, we’ve tried to get as much exposure for the sport as we can. We’ve also set up the NZUNi federation to promote the sport here. So Pete: make sure you sign up for it, support NZ Unicycling :slight_smile:
www.unicycle.org.nz

Ken

Quick Question for unifreak7,

Do you consider a “varial” when you unispin and spin your body at the same time? because that seems like it should be called a body varial. I would think that a unispin with a crank flip would be more of a varial? although I dont know if anyone has landed this yet? Also would you consider 540 uni spins a street trick because i ould consider that more freestlye? Also whats a seat out in front rolling frame spin jump sounds pretty technical.

-Brian

Okay :smiley:

DUDE I TOTALLY NEED TO MAKE THIS SPORT MY OWN!!!
IM GONNA LAND A 180 VARIAL ROLLING SEAT DIAGONAL 540 TOPSPIN CRANK GRAB SPINNAROONI!!! THEN YOU WILL ALL BE SORRY YOU MESSED WITH ME BECAUSE I AM TOTALLY RAD AND I AM GOING TO LEAD THE PACK!!!

dumbass

I’d also like to know that. I was surprised that you assumed we knew what it was. :slight_smile: Sounds great though.

Andrew

Re: Serious Riders

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 18:36:27 -0500, “harper” wrote:

> I am already at the next level

Hey you never told us! I remember 5-B4-50.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne”

Woah? Settle down a little, just because he is a little more enthusiastic and a lot better at uniing then you dont’ go attacking him like that.

I personally don’t think he was over the top about anything. We need people that are obsessed with the sport, plus by the way this guy actually did say that, and by the fact that he’s done a 720 unispin and all the other stuff he’s been doing… I think he will take it to the next level.

You all just watch this guy!

once again im not "diss’in you man

its good to take it seriously. but then again you do it for fun and personal acheivement.

i got acused of selling out when i wanted to gap from moving semi trailer to moving semi trailer.

that was just so i could say i did it first. not for other peoples attention (although i could really get it)

its ok for people to take you seriously but you shouldnt have to need people to take you seriously. your unispins will do all the talking.

go for a ride for fun one of these days. its way better than too much competitive nature.

oh and by the way. im only gonna do this 20 stair rail i found coz dan heaton did one as well. thats my competitive nature.

tomsey

Re: About all of that

I just want to point out that when I talked to Dan Heaton, he was a very nice guy, who was very gracious and didn’t mind talking to me, even though I suck. This is the same with most of the “stars” of unicycling. They don’t let their abilities go to their head.
I have no problem with people being competitive in this sport. I have no problem with anyone obsessing about this sport and working very hard at becoming better. If you want to spend all your time becoming better and creating new tricks, good for you! I’ll buy your video if it’s that awesome (which it very well could be).

But being awesome at unicycling does not make you any better than anyone else. This sport is being pushed to new levels. I’m glad. I just hope that the people who are pushing it to new levels don’t give it a bad name.

i have nothing agaisnt what unifreak said, just how he said it. it seemed like a big boast when i first read it. also, unifreak has been just as hard on everyone else as they have been on in, so he cant really complain about that. its one thing to say that you are good, but another to claim that everyone else is worse, even if it is true. it doesnt help anyone to split the uni community into a good at uni community and a bad at uni community. all unifreak had to do was post a video or two and logically those that were equally interested in advancing the sport would contact him, as well as those who maybe arent so good.

keep up the good work unifreak, i cant wait to see your movie, but try to avoid insulting people on the forum. all you will get is a backlash.

If you want to see vids of this guy, go to unicyclist.org. (I’m may be wrong, but it seems he is the one who as vids there under the name “Shaun Johanensen”.) Then you may understand him better. If I could already land a 720 unispin or a suicide mount to standup wheel walk, I would certainly try to take unicycling to the “next” level, as I would be almost there already.

If I learn to do a 720, will it make me a better person?

No.

Will it make you a better rider? Incrementally so. Any single trick doesn’t mean so much, unless you invented it or are one of few that has ever done it. This can apply to a 720. Beyond that, what is the specific trick worth? To an audience, a 720 looks about the same as a 360, or even a 180 for that matter. It will only truly impress other unicyclists.

People can be as into unicycling as they want. For 99.9 percent of us, it’s something we do for fun. Only a very few of us are going to do it for a living.

But even if you are toying with the idea of doing it for a living, taking it seriously is a good, if not essential, thing. There is a lot more potential to make a living, or at least get paid, in the unicycling world these days. The potential is there, as peoples’ awareness of the sport develops. As more people get interested, there are more opportunities to teach, to sell unicycles, and still to perform.

So go ahead and push for it! You could break new ground. Figure out your plan; what it is you want to do with unicycling. Discuss it here even, if you’re not sure how to do it. People will help.

Just remember 99.9 percent of us are just hobbyists, at various levels of intensity, so we are only involved as much as we choose to be. And our skill level, or chosen level of involvement, is not a reflection of our personal worth.

all i have to say is: you live in north dakota
put down ur beer, stop makin up random tricks composed of words u and ur friends blurted out during a drinking game, and get a life.

Unicyling is a blast and its great for the mind & body…but lets face it, unicycles are pretty gay. Not putting anyone down but this sport isn’t THAT core…when you start doing back flips on a dirt bike or big wave surfing you can blow up your ego with little backlash… Hey I love unis and think of them all the time (even read uni message boards)…but its all in the name of fun. peace

how can an inanimate object like a unicycle have a sexual preference, and i think any time you’re grinding a 10 set rail, or dropping off something 9 feet high, or riding along the edge of a cliff on a unicycle i think that’s pretty “core”

Saaaaaaaaaa - lute!

And you live in Rockville, MD. You are implying some sort of superiority based on the coolness factor of Rockville? Or your own perceived uncoolness factor of a state you probably haven’t been to?

Until a certain age, we don’t get a choice in where we live. Making fun of where someone lives, whether they chose that place or not, just makes you sound like a hick. It doesn’t matter where you live. There is good riding to be found if you want it, and you can still be a dick – or a hick – no matter where that is.

no wonder you say that, you’re from california! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ah, but I am not from California. If I was born and raised here, I would be eternally spoiled, and possibly not be able to understand the life of a person in, say, Minnesota (harsh winters).

But I grew up in Michigan, so I’ve experienced enough cold winter for my lifetime. I hope I will never stop appreciating the nice weather here.

But I don’t want to sound superior either. There is a big difference between being from Compton, Death Valley, Lake Tahoe, or San Francisco. Even here it’s quite a big state. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I first became a seriously serious unicyclist when I lived in Livonia, Michigan. It’s flat, and has cold and crappy winters. But none of that matters.