Sensation Seeking

Hi Everyone,
I have a theory that unicyclists are Sensation Seekers, due to the nature of our minority sport.
I also thing that those of us who hate the random non-unicyclists comments are Introverts and those that don’t care are Extroverts.
If anyone would like to try out my theory, you can take Zuckerman’s Sensation Seeking scale at http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/sensation/index.shtml
and a personality test at http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/whatamilike/index.shtml
to find out about the intorversion/extraversion thing.
If you do have a go, I would love it if you posted your results on this thread.

Edit: My overall Sensation seeking score is 26/40. I scored high in Thrill & Adventure Seeking, Experience Seeking and Disinhibition and low on boredom suseptability. I also come out as an introvert.

Cathy

Thrill and adventure seeking - you score 9 out of 10

This consists of items expressing desires to engage in sports or activities involving some physical danger or risk such as mountain climbing, parachute jumping, scuba diving, speeding in a car, etc.
Experience seeking - you score 7 out of 10

This descibes the desire to seek new experiences through the mind and senses by living in a nonconforming life style with unconventional friends, and through travel.
Disinhibition - you score 1 out of 10

This describes the need to disinhibit behaviour in the social sphere by drinking, partying and seeking variety in sexual partners.
Boredom susceptibility - you score 1 out of 10

This indicates an aversion for repetitive experience of any kind, routine work, or even dull or predictable people. Other items indicate a restless reaction when things are unchanging.

Your total sensation seeking score is 18 out of 40

Thrill and adventure seeking - you score 7 out of 10

This consists of items expressing desires to engage in sports or activities involving some physical danger or risk such as mountain climbing, parachute jumping, scuba diving, speeding in a car, etc.
Experience seeking - you score 9 out of 10

This descibes the desire to seek new experiences through the mind and senses by living in a nonconforming life style with unconventional friends, and through travel.
Disinhibition - you score 6 out of 10

This describes the need to disinhibit behaviour in the social sphere by drinking, partying and seeking variety in sexual partners.
Boredom susceptibility - you score 3 out of 10

This indicates an aversion for repetitive experience of any kind, routine work, or even dull or predictable people. Other items indicate a restless reaction when things are unchanging.

Your total sensation seeking score is 25 out of 40

I wasn’t crazy about that survey. Often there were two choices of which neither was close to my personality. It was very black & white, so when in doubt I erred in the obvious direction of boosting my score.

You can be a thrill seeker without being a sensation seeker. In other words, you can like adventure sports without necessarily being interested in illegal drugs or extramarital sex.

Planner, Ideas, Heads, Introvert.

But I don’t hate random non-unicyclist comments (any more).

I am a square peg in a unicycle-shaped hole.

Results

Experience seeking - you score 9 out of 10

Disinhibition - you score 6 out of 10

Boredom susceptibility - you score 2 out of 10

Your total sensation seeking score is 24 out of 40

I thought this was not a terribly insightful survey. I agree with what John has said. Also some very exciting, interesting and unconventional people eshew drugs and alcohol. Look at Frank Zappa, for example.

I also don’t think a real thrill seeker would care particularly if the small craft they took far out to sea was sea worthy or not.

I’m a spontaneous, fact based, heartfelt, introvert.

Thrill and adventure seeking: 6
Experience seeking: 4
Disinhibition: 2
Boredom susceptibility: 1
Total: 13 out of 40

Now please excuse me because I’m going to go sit in a small, dark room in silence for the next five hours…

Phil

Results
Thrill and adventure seeking - you score 9 out of 10

Experience seeking - you score 3 out of 10

Disinhibition - you score 4 out of 10

Boredom susceptibility - you score 6 out of 10

Your total sensation seeking score is 22 out of 40

[B]

[/B]

Me neither. Some of it didnt apply to me.

And on the second one I got this:

Section 4: Results
Your answers suggest you are an Introvert, not an Extrovert.
You tend to focus on and get your motivation from your own inner thoughts and ideas.

Spontaneous, ideas, hearts, and Introvert.

Results

Thrill and adventure seeking - you score 10 out of 10

Experience seeking - you score 4 out of 10

Boredom susceptibility - you score 1 out of 10

Your total sensation seeking score is 19 out of 40

==================================================

Planner, Ideas, Heads, Introvert

==================================================

A bit of fun but the results hmmm, whatever.

Results
Experience seeking - you score 8 out of 10
Your total sensation seeking score is 28 out of 40

There may be a correlation between thrill and adventure seeking and unicycling. There were several questions that I was dissatisfied with too…

Entertaining all the same.

I scored a whopping 11 out of 40, and I am an introvert. I often try to avoid people when I’m out unicycling, although I sometimes find myself feeling coerced to interact with others more than my usual inclination.

Experience seeking - you score 10 out of 10

Disinhibition - you score 7 out of 10

Your total sensation seeking score is 33 out of 40

It’s funny how many of the “I would like to try” questions I’ve actually done.

—Nathan

Results

Experience seeking - you score 4 out of 10

Disinhibition - you score 10 out of 10

Boredom susceptibility - you score 7 out of 10

Your total sensation seeking score is 28 out of 40

Results:

Thrill and adventure seeking - I scored 10 out of 10

Experience seeking - I scored 9 out of 10

Dis-inhibition - I scored 3 out of 10

Boredom susceptibility - I scored 4 out of 10

My Total score = 26 out of 40

Now I need to see my Therapist… :frowning:

i didnt see where you guys are getting the 1 thu 10 stats.

i got this…

Big Thinker,Counsellor, Go-getter, Idealist, Innovator, Leader, Mastermind, Mentor, Nurturer, Peacemaker, Performer, Provider, Realist, Resolver, Strategist and Supervisor.

looks like im a Mentor im here for you brotha’s and sista’s

jagur wrote:
" i didnt see where you guys are getting the 1 thu 10 stats. "

Go here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanb...ion/index.shtml

Thanks for posting this. I’ve often wonder what makes on love to ride on one wheel. Maybe a few less marbles rolling around upstairs, maybe.

This was prett interesting. There’s another type of test that might also be good to see if there are patterns. I have attached links below:

First my scores. Thrill and adventure seeking - you score 6 out of 10

Experience seeking - you score 6 out of 10

Disinhibition - you score 3 out of 10

Boredom susceptibility - you score 4 out of 10

Your total sensation seeking score is 19 out of 40

spontaneous, not planner
ideas, not facts
heads, not hearts
introvert, not extrovert

Other tests:
There’s another class of tests that is frequently used, the Jung type Meyers Briggs test.
Link to a free test:

I think it is rigorous and is used often in the psychology industry. I have found it interesting and useful to know my type: INTP, or Introvert, Intuitive, Thinking and Perceiving (as opposed to Extrovert, sensing, Feeling, and Judging).

The site is here with personality characteristics:

http://www.typelogic.com/intp.html
I also tried to attach working links. We shall see if they work!

[URL=http://www.typelogic.com/intp.html][URL=http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp]

Have fun!
Blake

Experience seeking - you score 2 out of 10

Disinhibition - you score 5 out of 10

Boredom susceptibility - you score 4 out of 10

Your total sensation seeking score is 21 out of 40

Your answers suggest you are a Planner, not Spontaneous.
Your answers suggest you are a Facts, not an Ideas person.
Your answers suggest you are a Head, not a Heart person.
Your answers suggest you are an Introvert, not an Extrovert.
Your answers suggest you are a Realist

that’s exactly what I thought while taking the test…I don’t do drugs OR have sex, or anything like that, but I do like to go find new ways of hurting myself, unicycling included.

And I think that this is what most of the results are showing. Also that the people who have replied are mostly introverts.

A few points of interest regarding the Zuckerman test are:

1. I agree that some of the options aren’t going to be exactly you - such is the nature of these kinds of tests.
  2. Also this is a validated test used by psychologists - researchers if not clinical psychologists.

It was a bit of fun and thanks to all those who joined in.

Cathy

Thrill and adventure seeking - you score 8 out of 10
Experience seeking - you score 7 out of 10
Disinhibition - you score 5 out of 10
Boredom susceptibility - you score 5 out of 10

Your total sensation seeking score is 25 out of 40