Semcycle XL 2 and 3 wheelers

I just purchased the Semcycle xl 2 and 3 wheeler and while riding with all 3 wheels i have found that the tires slip on each other and i don’t know if this is because of the rain (it has been raining or snowing just about every day I have gotten it out) or if i do not have all the tires inflated properly. In order for the 3 wheels to be attached (and not be riding on the rim of the bottom wheel) you have to let a good bit of air out of the top 2 wheels. After assembling the uni should i pump the top two tires some more to get better traction between them all or will this put too much stress on the frame? Has anyone put MTN bike tires on each wheel to get even better traction between them? Also, although my neighbors love to watch me attempt (and fail) to ride the 2 wheeled uni (peddling backwards and going forwards is a great challenge) any words of advice for riding the 2 wheels would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Booger

Re the slipping of wheels, I discussed this some time ago with someone
from Semcycle (for a two-wheeler). Actually, there was an additional issue
of lateral movement to the extent that the tires would run off each other.
He recommended in general that the bottom tyre be pumped quite hard (as it
takes your weight), and the top tyre not harder than needed to prevent
slip. That way, the top tyre would fold slightly around the bottom tyre,
and also the top tyre would be more flexible to absorb and “correct” some
lateral slip without accumulating in too much sideways movement and
consequent run-off. I would think that the frame is designed to take
vertical stresses easily.

Jorga has the two-wheeler almost down. I have only one word of advice:
“practice”. Jorga rode along a wall rack for hours, then holding two
persons, then one, now a half (i.e. one but very loosely).

Klaas Bil

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:25:07 +0000 (UTC), booger
<forum.member@unicyclist.com> wrote:

>I just purchased the Semcycle xl 2 and 3 wheeler and while riding with
>all 3 wheels i have found that the tires slip on each other and i don’t
>know if this is because of the rain (it has been raining or snowing
>just about every day I have gotten it out) or if i do not have all the
>tires inflated properly. In order for the 3 wheels to be attached (and
>not be riding on the rim of the bottom wheel) you have to let a good
>bit of air out of the top 2 wheels. After assembling the uni should i
>pump the top two tires some more to get better traction between them
>all or will this put too much stress on the frame? Has anyone put MTN
>bike tires on each wheel to get even better traction between them?
>Also, although my neighbors love to watch me attempt (and fail) to ride
>the 2 wheeled uni (peddling backwards and going forwards is a great
>challenge) any words of advice for riding the 2 wheels would be greatly
>appreciated. Thanks! Booger
>
>
>
>
>–
>booger Posted via the Unicyclist Community - http://unicyclist.com/forums


“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked
automagically from a database:” “RFX, Bess, SVN”

Re: Semcycle XL 2 and 3 wheelers

Yes, you should add air into the top tire(s) once it’s assembled. When I assemble my 2-wheeler, I deflate the tires all the way and squeeze the tires together and tighten them down. However, with the Semcycle multi-wheeler, there isn’t any way to adjudst this. Then you fill up the bottom tire to the desired pressure like what you’d have in your regular uni. The top tire is then filled to adjust the pressure between the tire. You don’t want much air in the second tire up. If you have a third tire, then you’ll want to have this one be the same pressure as the bottom one so that the pressure is the same between the middle and bottom tires as it is between the middle and top tires.

I have never ridden a Semcycle 2-wheeler that has had the proper traction between the tires. this is mainly due to it’s design and how you can’t adjust the distance between the wheels. However, there is an option to change to a fatter tire, such as the 1.85" or 2.1" Primo “the wall” tire (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopaff.asp?affid=4&url=/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=299).

I’ve tried a knobby tire before and it wasn’t any better for traction between the tires, but was mostly just a bumpier ride.

Semcycle XL 2 and 3 wheelers

Klaas Bil and Gilby,
Thanks for the tips, I’ll let you know how i do!

booger

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 04:25:10 +0000 (UTC), Gilby
<forum.member@unicyclist.com> wrote:

>If you have a third tire, then you’ll want to have this one be the same
>pressure as the bottom one so that the pressure is the same between the
>middle and bottom tires as it is between the middle and top tires.
Why should the middle tyre have to feel the same pressure on both sides?
The bottom tyre doesn’t experience that, generally, and the top tyre
certainly doesn’t.

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked
automagically from a database:” “Banner, code, Abdelkarim Hussein Mohamed
Al-Nasser”

Klaas Bil wrote:

> Why should the middle tyre have to feel the same pressure on both sides?
> The bottom tyre doesn’t experience that, generally, and the top tyre
> certainly doesn’t.

It doesn’t have to be, but in order to get the same traction between the
top and middle tires as the bottom and middle tires, then you need same
pressure on both sides. It’s not about getting the same pressure, just the
same traction between the tires, and in order to do that, you need the
same pressure in the top and bottom tires.

  • Gilby