Seized bearings!

Seized as in frozen, not taken by the authorities, lol. The other day while riding I was wondering why it felt like my brake was partially on, and it was harder to pedal for some reason. I checked the brake and that wasn’t it, so when I got home I removed the wheel from the frame, the cranks and then I tried turning the bearings.

The left side was fine, but when I tried to turn the right one it wouldn’t budge! I’m telling you it was totally FROZEN! Apparently all the riding through stream crossings, and getting the hub totally immersed on several occasions did the trick, even though I always clean my MUni after riding in wet weather by spraying it down with fresh water, than blowing it all off with my air compressor. Just odd that only one bearing was affected.

Anyway, I removed the bearing and popped of the covers. It was pretty dirty inside and there was virtually no grease left! So I flushed it all out with wd40, then blew everything out with my air compressor. At this point the bearing moved freely, so I repacked it with fresh grease and put it back on the axle, and when for a ride the next day with no problems. The reason I did that and not put new bearings on, is that i decided to just continue using old bearings as long as there’s still wet weather.

There’s just no point in replacing the old ones with new every time they get dirty and/or freeze up, if I can clean them out and get them working again. When the rainy weather is over, I’ll put a new pair on, but I like this idea of using the old ones as long as possible, and it’s also a lot cheaper than constantly replacing them with new during wet weather. :slight_smile:

New bearings?

:

+1

It’s the same with my longboard bearings, and being so close to the ground they get soaked. After every wet ride I dissmantle, clean and relube eight sets of bearings Phew. This is one reason I’ve started to learn how to ride a uni…less maintenance.

WD40 has many good uses, such as a starting fluid, but its good solvent properties can break down grease that is applied on top of it. A better sequence is to accomplish what you want with the WD40, then flush it out/off with rubbing alcohol, blow that out, and finally apply the grease. Rubbing alcohol evaporates completely and is cheap. If the grease gets broken down from the WD40 it can’t withstand the high pressures generated with point and line contact within a bearing.

[QUOTE=Doug;1335107]
WD40 has many good uses, such as a starting fluid …snipped

STARTING FLUID? I have been in the automotive repair business for over 20 years (Yes I remember points, condensor, and carbs!) and have NEVER thought to use WD as a starting fluid.

Will have to experiment with that tomorrow… What it is good for is “Water Displacement” which is what the WD stands for and it being non-conductive makes it GREAT for drying out distributor caps. And it’s bonkers on bumperstickers!

It is not as hot of a start as ether, but therefore it is easier on the engine components that could be ruined from ether’s high pressures.