Seeking advice on a G29 build (titanium frame?)

Just to quote from the KH site:

4) Greater security against slippage of the knurled bearing.

There is now a physical block (small protruding nub) on the bearing that prevents possible slippage of the knurled bearing side in the bearing housing. This requires that the bottom half of the inside edge of the bearing housing does not have a lip. All KH frames produced since 2012 are compatible. Minor modification may be required for other frame bearing housings.

To be clear my understanding is these nubs have to go on the edge as per the photo and then the caps clamp down and grip and squish then into the frame corner and cap. There shouldnā€™t be any notch else where.

1 Like

Yes, your understanding is right (or at least my understanding of what you said :wink: ) the nub is keyed into the notch in the lip of the bearing housing.

From your photo it looks like you had the nub about 90 deg rotated from where it was supposed to be at one point which has caused the indent beside the weld, likewise there looks to be another indent about 10 deg round from the split in the bearing housing. The paint in the knurl is probably caused by the top-cap not seating properly given the bearing wasnā€™t sitting right rather than slippage ā€“ that would be my guess anyway.

It should be fine once you put the bearing in with the correct orientation, if need be you can clean the notch up a little with a file.

3 Likes

Thanks folks! Thatā€™s a huge problem solved!

I tried to find a picture of a KH frame with those edge notches but failed. Anyways I tend to believe those indents in the middle are caused by the mispositioned nubs. The curious distribution of them might be because there are some positions the bearing is more ā€œcomfortableā€ to sit on, despite still being wrong positions.

I reinstalled the wheel to put the nubs into the edge notches. Interestingly, the nubs do not both sit in the notches at the same time, there is like a 5 degrees freedom for the bearing to rotate, until a nub is stopped by a notch.

Oh I must give it a check! Any idea why this is important? The hub design does not seem quite fool proofingā€¦

By the way Iā€™ll definitely look into the brakefast mechanism, it looks promising. But since I still havenā€™t gave up the thoughts of employing a titanium frame, which might be prone to disc rubs, plus I donā€™t actually use brakes on the road quite often (but I do appreciate them while muni-ing), I might go brakeless on this build.

1 Like

No idea at all, and I agree it isnā€™t fool proof. This is probably why Iā€™ve overly scrutinised the photos and posts and tried to absorb as much as possible so that its logic calmly sits in my mind. I think the UP position may simple be a way to ensure that the two nubs are at 3 and 9 oā€™clock and resting on the edges of the bearing mountsā€™ lips.

This might be down to how theyā€™ve been installed before or from a slipā€¦ not sure, but my gut says in a fresh frame, youā€™d have hard metal to engage with and thereā€™d be no play or degree of moment possible.

Perhaps you can find a small chunk of aluminium that you could cut to fill the gap and glue in place?

Thatā€™s if you stay with the same frame. New frame = no issues!

Going brakeless on unicycles probably should be more often promoted as while I obsess over all of this, my actual skill of using a brake is minimal at best.

Is it just me and my uni OCD that feels a unicycle doesnā€™t look complete without a brake?!? :joy:

However if you did invest the effort and money into a BrakeFast set up, thereā€™s no requirement to run a brake straightaway. I just wonder if thereā€™d come the day when you really wish you had it, and then rebuilding again would be a royal pain!

Just a thought :grinning:

3 Likes

Going with brake on unicycles probably should be more often promoted :stuck_out_tongue:
Honestly, I find you fool to ride a geared uni without a brake. IMHO, you give up a lot of responsiveness, some speed and a lot of fun. I consider the brake as a must-have. In particular, an inboard brake. Even if you donā€™t feel comfy with a brake, you should mount one so that you can train and get confident with it. Once youā€™ll be confident, you wonā€™t be able to ride without it! :smiley:

4 Likes

Iā€™m thinking brakeless because I find myself spending way more time tuning the brake rather than using it. My OCD is the disc must not rub. From the information Iā€™ve collected, this could be a nightmare on a titanium frame - or not, may be Iā€™ll give it a try. Then again since there is still the disc mount on the crank, I might still want to install the brake!

Itā€™s true I need to practice using a brake, and Iā€™m doing it - with my muni. Until Iā€™m confident with one, Iā€™m more of using anticipation and precaution to keep me and my surroundings safe. Yes most of the time I ride rather slow, slow enough to make a Schlumpf unworthy, and only faster when Iā€™m 100% sure itā€™s safe to do so. Also considering Iā€™m mostly riding in a plain city, I think brake is much less than a must in my case. Then again, I might still install one. Or not. Just thinkingā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s a common argument I 100% disagree with. :grin:
IMHO, city riding is one of the most important use cases for a brake. It helps stop at traffic lights and stop signs and decelerate faster when thereā€™s any danger. Of course, youā€™ll steed have to anticipate and be cautious, but thatā€™s a powerful safety equipment I wouldnā€™t ignore.

1 Like

Itā€™s just too scary for me to use a brake on a flat road - again, need practice!

1 Like

Sure. I tend to be in the ā€œIā€™m an experienced riderā€ point of view, so what I say may apply when youā€™re sufficiently trained (clipless goes brrrr) :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Here is the first phase of the build, this oddball is a 26" wheel on a 36" frame!

It seems the bearing is properly secured, no worries!

3 Likes

Clean build! But you miss a BrakeFast :grin:

2 Likes

Do you have any photos of the front of the uni.
Frame looks interesting

Here is one I took in a hurry:

2 Likes

Is that a Flansberrium Steel frame?

No, itā€™s a prototype 36" titanium frame.

Is it just the photo or is it wonky ? It looks like if you was to put a larger wheel in it would rub on the right hand side.

Itā€™s not the best photo Iā€™ve ever taken, but the frame is totally fine. This is the only photo that shows the front of this frame in my album. I donā€™t have a chance to take a decent photo for it recently, and I dont want to keep @Unikev waiting :wink:

Phase 2: the frame is here! Now waiting for the rimā€¦

The frame was custom made, with dual brake tabs and cable holders. Titanium seat post and collar are also included. Itā€™s actually a 31" frame so I can install a tire up to 29x3.5".

4 Likes

So this is not a 36er frame. I became a little confused. Ignore I answered my own question.

The pic in the 29th post is a 36" frame. It was lended to me to test if itā€™s Schlumpf compatible (which is). The latest image is the custom 29"(31") frame I ordered. Both are with a 26" wheel as Iā€™m still waiting for my 29" rim.