Seattle To Portland On A Unicycle (July 2009)

Is there a ride planned for then? I’m getting better by the day. Doing ankle exercises and gaining back knee strength. I’m going to go on a careful 25 mile ride tomorrow after school to test my healing. I should be back on the grid by then.

Back now and reading the forums tonight, thinking about the “CHILLY HILLY”, and trying to stay warm. Took the DX-24 with me, rode everyday, did the Citrus Park Trail, (maybe they call it the Upper Tampa Bay Trail) and back to friends place. 17.5 miles total in 3 hours. The seat got pretty warm, but no chaffing or blisters even though I was in jeans. I don’t have a biking background but riding shorts is probably the way to go I surmise from reading the Forums. Probably obvious to most of you guys that ride… got a lot to learn. Probably going to go with a 36" from Coker, Nimbus or Kris Holm with a T-7, and the Fusion Free Ride saddle. Thanks again for the input to this point everyone. Still thinking about the Chilly Hilly. I appreciate the idea and the generous, collegial offer Bungeejoe.

1 Like

I’ve decided to no longer do training rides with my school bag on. I hit 16mph with it and become too unstable and have no ability to properly roll out. I keep re-injuring my right ankle and it’s rather swollen currently, No pain but I’m staying off it except for necessary commuting(6 miles a day) and when I feel up to it I’ll do about 30-35 miles. I hope to be able to find enough time to do at least 100 miles in a day before the end of the month. What did I miss over the 17th?

Watch out! Ducttape is on the go …

Go Ducttape … … is so great to be young! Ramp up to 100 in one month.
They recommend that the rest of us increase only 15% or less a week.

My one good leg is doing great. Never complains. The other one keeps gimping about the cold weather when I try to walk. Good thing I can unicycle better than I can walk.

JM

My ankle has caused me to walk funny(to avoid injuring it) and it’s giving my arch hell. As long as I don’t dismount at higher than 9-10mph I seem to be better off riding than walking at the moment. I’ve done up to a 50 miler in one day just not recently :slight_smile: doing a century seems like a good challenge and excellent reason to feel dead the next morning I only managed 10 miles total today because I’m a wimp and it’s cold out but it’s supposed to be almost 50F outside on friday so I may try for a longer ride after school then. I’ll keep updating my progress in here for as long as I remember to post in this thread :smiley: good luck to everyone else who’s hoping to do the ride this year as well, Happy training!

Full Century yet?

It’s now the end of the month. I keep watching for you to get listed in Who has completed a 100 mile ride?.

How is your right ankle is doing?

JM

The ankle has slowed my milage progress significantly… I’ve only managed a 75 mile single day ride. I’m almost there though!

I have a confirmed bib number now. Thought I better get one before they ran out.

Any one else still considering doing this years ride?

I’m out. Sarah and I were going to (heresy!) bike it, but we’ve decided to not even do that. I’m looking forward to a relaxing summer.

Go for it Joe!

I have my eye on a century this year, but not that one. Joe, you got in just in time. I checked their website yesterday and they are now full, no more entries accepted.

I’m sure you will stomp it!

TB

School ended up taking too much of my time and I was un-able to rain and NAUCC took up all my money… no STP for me… :frowning:

I am very much engaged in preparing for the STP, though
traveling for work has made training somewhat disjointed. I’m at 60+ mile rides and ramping up for the STP- less than a month away. It feels possible though not always likely and a few times my confidence has taken a good hit. I will be “drafting” Bruce and Joe in a sense when I roll out for the STP. If , god willing , I should see the end both of you guys will cross the finish line vicariously with me. I appreciate the advice from everyone and welcome it at anytime. I would find time to ride with anyone, especially distance.

1 Like

Checking out the start of the route.

Kevin and I on the route a few weeks early.

It sounds like you’re ready to go! Max and I had STP on our agenda for the year, but I had a kid last week instead :slight_smile: Bad time to ditch the fam for a few days.

I look forward to hearing a report of how it goes! All the best!

Z

Good & Bad …

Good news for the family. Bad news you can’t make it this year. Maybe next year.

Both Straightarrow and I are making an attempt. We both are facing knee and leg difficulties. The day(s) will bring what they bring. Good weather, good legs and strong knees might get us both to Portland.

100.5 Mile Day

What does a guy that can ride a unicycle 100+ miles in a day look like? I rode 40-ish miles Sunday after doing a little over 100 Saturday. It’s going to be hard and I am picking up the pace. I appreciate all the help and encouragement from everyone with this.

The Saturday before I rode with Joe Meyer and I learned a lot, lot, yeah, a lot. We only did 40 miles or so but it felt like I improved the Coker skills exponentially. Joe and Lana are as good a people you could ever hope to meet.

1 Like

For me its …

Hungry!

Congratulations of the century.

Sounds like your training is working. I see in the picture that you are keeping close to the feed stations.

The Seattle To Portland Bicycle Classic was Saturday and Sunday, July 11-12. I made it 150 miles on my 36 inch Coker unicycle and “bonked” around noon Sunday. I know I must be alive because it hurt not crossing the finish line in Portland more than I would have allowed even possible. A singular kind of pain, no way to “dress it up” or “put a spin on it”. It hurt. What fills the “void” that remains after throwing up Clif Bars, Gu, and warm water from a Camelbak on the side of the road while a dream dies? To be honest, for a while pain displaced everything else, and if you are into pain this one was just exquisite. I knew what it would take to go 50 + more miles and I didn’t have it. I left it all out there and got my hat handed to me, big time. I got reduced to the lowest common denominator. Limping back to the last stop, in short increments, a better human being had begun to grow back in the “void“. Today the sun came out, I feel really good, stronger . The STP was humbling, absolutely, but very worthwhile.

The STP feels possible for me and I will roll out for it in 2010. I learned a lot and have faith I can bridge my personal challenges successfully in 2010.

1 Like

Are you guys not using handlebars?

The Finish or the start?

It is a unique group who has actually started the STP on a unicycle. Some have quit long before the start line. I and others who have finished have a Did Not Complete (DNC) to tell about. On good days any number of things can throw a wall up that might stop the best of us.

Straightarrow has compressed so many things into so few words. Left out in his words are a hundred hours of details, troubles, challenges, and successes of the last four or five days (not to mention the last four months). Nice finish. Hopefully for all of us, the finish line is only the conclusion of a single event. Your finish has become only the start of bigger things.

Straightarrow has handlebars. I do not.