Seatpost out past the max line?

My torker LX finally got here and I’ve found to make the seat the correct height for freestyle I need to have the seatpost up about 1" out past the max line. (I’m 6’2") This leaves a good couple inches still in the tube, I think, maybe more maybe less.

My question is, what type of damage might I be causing and is this really a huge deal?

You can damage your frame by bending, cracking, or snapping it. You can break the crown (highly unlikely), or you can bend the post. I would reccomend getting a longer post, but it’s up to you. Try it, if the frame breaks, it isn’t THAT expensive.

i have a 20" torker LX that i ride that is at least 1" above the max line on the seatpost, if not a little more. i’m 5’11" and have an inseam around 33"-34" and it’s been fine for me.

the frames are built pretty good and the seatpost is bigger then normal (i believe it’s a 1" diameter seatpost where standard ones are smaller)

sort of the same saying where as long as you’re careful you’ll be just fine.

The seatpost is an extension of the frame. How far the seatpost is inserted is a big part in determining how strong and stiff the seatpost frame interface is. If the seatpost is not inserted far enough the seatpost can wobble which can damage either the frame or the seatpost. A wobbly seatpost can damage the area of the frame around the seatpost clamp which could lead to poor clamping allowing your seatpost to slip or even frame breakage. A seatpost that is not inserted far enough is also more likely to bend because the part that is inside the frame helps to stiffen the seatpost.

Bike frames have been ruined because of seatposts not being inserted far enough. Seatposts on bicycles have been bent because they have not been inserted far enough. I don’t know of any real world examples of unicycle frames or seatposts being damaged because the seatpost hasn’t been inserted far enough but I’m sure it has happened.

How far is far enough? I don’t know. It’s probably different on a unicycle than on a bike. Unicycles have different forces. We do things like pulling up on the font of the saddle. Landing a drop poorly by landing on the front of the saddle also puts weird forces on the seatpost.

One problem is that most shims are shorter than the minimum insertion length for many seatposts. Inserting the seatpost past the end of the shim doesn’t do much, if anything, to improve the strength. So most people with shims have been riding around with less seatpost support than the manufacturer recommends.

If you have less than 2.5" of seatpost in the frame then you should probably look around for a longer seatpost. I think Torker sells longer seatposts. The GB4 Seatpost may also be an option if it’s the right diameter for your frame (I can’t remember if the Torker LX takes a 25.4mm seatpost). If necessary you can get a seatpost custom made that will be long enough.

I checked, it seems that there is a max insertion of 6.5 inches (that’s how long the neck is) and despite me being 1 inch out past the max line I still have 4 inches in the neck. Is this really that dangerous? 4 our of 6.5 doesn’t seem bad to me. Is this kind of like bike tires, where they rate them at much lower than they can handle for legal reasons?

If you still have 4" in there, you should be plenty safe. But I wonder at your numbers. If the post can only go 6.5" in, and you’re past the max. line with 4" still in there, what’s up with that?

All that said, the 2.5" number John Childs gave is a good, conservative number to keep you safe under almost any conditions. If you aren’t doing anthing stressful to your unicycle you can probably get away with 1.5" or so, though this is a little more risky. It depends how much stress is being applied to that area. Hopping, can stress that area if you’re pulling up on the front of the seat. If you’re only doing “basic” riding, on flat ground let’s say, you’re probably fine as long as your post goes in past the bottom of your seat clamp.