Seat Shaft

I donno whatever that bar is called that is bolted onto the seat… but I was looking at the local shops today and found two black torkers for sale. One of which was 80 dollars and the other was 100. I was going to get the 80 buck one but then held off to make sure that the other one was the exact same thing. So I go to the other store and find that the seat shaft of the 100 dollar b. torker is about a foot long, and the one on the 80 dollar one is only about 6 inches long. :frowning: I tried to get them to match the prices, but they would not. I never knew that the black torker came with different length seat shafts. I am sad, I don’t know if I can justify paying 20 bucks more for the long seat shaft. What do you guys think?

Jeremy

sounds like sombody cut the shaft,the seat shaft on my 80 dollar Torker is about 12 inches long.

Ahhhhh :astonished: ! I wish this 80 buck one was like yours! Doh!

The strange seatpost diameter on the black Torker is a problem. The black torker has a 25.4 mm diameter seatpost and most other standard unicycles use a 22.2 mm diameter seatpost.

It is easy to get a longer replacement 22.2 mm diameter seatpost. It is not easy to get a longer 25.4 mm seatpost for the black Torker. As far as I know there is not a commercially available 25.4 mm unicycle seatpost. Torker really needs to offer a longer 25.4 mm seatpost as an aftermarket item for their black Torker.

Anyways, if you want a longer seatpost for the black Torker the current solution is to buy a shim (also known as a sizer) so you can fit a 22.2 mm seatpost in the black Torker frame. Unicycle.com sells a 25.4 to 22.2 seatpost shim for about $10.

If you need a longer seatpost for the black Torker the solution is:
Buy a $10 shim from unicycle.com
Buy a $22 GB4 Universal 400mm Seat Post from unicycle.com

That’s a $32 solution which is quite a lot considering the cost of the unicycle. That is why Torker really needs to sell their own 400 mm long seatpost for the black Torker.

If the seatpost on the $100 black Torker is long enough to fit you then the extra $20 is a good deal.

If the seatpost on the $100 black Torker is not long enough for you then get the $80 black Torker and then get the shim and GB4 seatpost from unicycle.com.

Thanks for all of the info John, I really appreciate it! It is knowledgeable people like youself that make these forums great. :slight_smile:

Yes the 100 dollar black torker has a long enough seatpost: So therefore, from what you said, I should get the adequate length seatpost on the 100 dollar black torker. I wonder why the black torker has just an odd diameter seat post like you said. Oh wells… I just might have to go ahead and “Spill” the extra 20 buckaroos!!!

Jeremy

I don’t know why Torker decided to use a 25.4 mm seatpost on the black Torker instead of the more standard 22.2 mm seatpost.

25.4 mm is a more standard seatpost size for BMX bikes. I suspect that they may have wanted to use some of the same tubing and seatpost clamps that they use on bikes and that’s why they chose the 25.4 mm size instead of the 22.2 mm size.

It does cause a bit of confusion to have the black Torker using a different seatpost size than almost every other standard unicycle.

Oh well. I don’t think the shim manufacturer is complaining because they’re selling a few more shims.

in the long run the 25.4 size is better since its easier to lock down but that wont be noticed on the Torkers because of the crappy clamping mechanism.

the wave of the future in unicycles is a bigger seat tube.just be glad they chose 25.4 instead of some odd ball size.

Re: Seat Shaft

In article <john_childs.r25gb@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
john_childs <john_childs.r25gb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)25.4 mm is a more standard seatpost size for BMX bikes. I suspect that
)they may have wanted to use some of the same tubing and seatpost clamps
)that they use on bikes and that’s why they chose the 25.4 mm size
)instead of the 22.2 mm size.
)
)It does cause a bit of confusion to have the black Torker using a
)different seatpost size than almost every other standard unicycle.

I would much prefer to see unicycle seatposts move towards bike standards,
than to stick to a standard that almost no one else uses. The selection of
seatposts and seat collars at 22.2mm is very weak.
-Tom

Hey guys, I got GREAT NEWS!!! I called the bike shop today and they said that they got a new stock of black Torkers in yesterday! This was the same shop that was selling the black Torker with the short seatpost. jagur, you are right, the guy at the shop said that the seat post on that particular unicycle was cut! Darn them! So anyways they got an untampered 20" black Torker on hold for me!!! 80 bucks!!! Yaaaaay!

My friend decided to buy my Savage from me for 30 bucks. So, I am happy! Trade in the old and get a new for only 50 bucks from my own pocket! I’m a happy camper now!

Jeremy

i thought that sounded fishy… ><)))’>

enjoy your new uni.

Re: Re: Seat Shaft

I agree. I would like to see more unicycles move to the 25.4 mm seatpost diameter instead of the 22.2 mm size. 25.4 gives us more of a selection of the better BMX parts for seatposts and collars.

I would also like to see aftermarket 25.4 seatposts available. The situation right now with the black Torker is not ideal. You can’t buy a 25.4 mm diameter 400 mm seatpost for it.

Ideally it would be nice if all standard and freestyle unicycles went to 25.5 mm seatposts and the mountain unicycles standardized on 25.4 mm or 27.2 mm depending on the whim and design requirements of the frame builder.

OK, I just got back from my lunch and bought my black Torker for 80 dollars! The seatpost is the right length and the unicycle overall is just awesome to ride. Feels a lot more in control and requires less effort than my Savage. I am so stoked! Thanks for all the help my fellow unicyclers! Time to go for a ride! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Jeremy

Congratulations on the new uni! Can’t wait to see you ride it.

BTW: Don’t forget to add yourself to our uni count
Uni count

Daniel

Thanks!

Yeah it is going to be fun riding tomorrow with some other fellow local unicyclers! Hahaha. Wow we got a lot of uni riders on this forum! AWESOME!

Jeremy

Sweet! $80 stealth Torkers just make Hawaii that much closer to paradise.

If you’re going to be doing any jumping or other hard riding on the new uni, you should get the wheel looked at by a bike shop or wheel builder. The spokes on a new machine built wheel are often loose and need to be tightened. A wheel with loose spokes is more likely to suffer broken spokes, taco, get flat spots, or go out of true. Getting the spokes tightened up when the wheel is new is cheap compared to the cost of a complete wheel rebuild if you taco it.

Re: Seat Shaft

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:30:49 GMT, doosh@inl.org (Tom Holub) wrote:

>I would much prefer to see unicycle seatposts move towards bike standards,
>than to stick to a standard that almost no one else uses. The selection of
>seatposts and seat collars at 22.2mm is very weak.

That’s right.

Last week the 22.2 mm quick release* on Jorga’s unicycle gave up after
3.5 years of service. Today I went to the LBS showing the defunct
thing and asked for a replacement. The lady at the counter went to the
repair guy (visible in the distance for me) and came back with a sound
that could be construed as derisive laughter, shaking her head.

She said “You know what he said? Do these things still exist at
all?!?!”

So I asked, totally superfluously “So you don’t have it?”

She: “No, maybe you should go to a very old bike repair shop who may
have one lying around. We’re too modern really, you know.”

And while I thanked her, she seemed to smile maliciously.

(* The quick release is larger but it serves a 22.2 mm seat post.)

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“the helmet is to protect the brain, not replace it. - iunicycle”