Seat post is stuck on 29", only used once, will probably sell...

Hi all, I bought this big wheeler thinking I might commute with it eventually, but I never learned on the smaller one and have since adjusted my uni goals.

Now I’ll probably sell this, but I can’t figure out how the seat post got so incredibly stuck!! I turned and pulled this (like tug of war) with a guy for a half hour and couldn’t get it to budge…any secrets?


Seatposts can get really stuck, worst case being an aluminum post in a steel frame where galvanic corrosion can basically weld it in place. In my most extreme case (a bicycle but same deal) I hacked off the post level with the top of the tube then used a Sawzall to cut up the section left in the tube and chiseled out the pieces. But try penetrating oil and letting it soak for a few days first.

Something looks funny about that unicycle though, If that’s a 29" tire then it seems extremely tall. Is there some kind of extender on top of the frame? There’s a section in the middle that looks different, maybe less glossy, but it’s hard to tell.

So long as the quickrelease mechanism or bolt is loosened off, you should be able to get the seatpost out by putting the wheel between your legs and pulling the seat whilst trying to twist it around. If it ain’t budging at that, I suppose you could try some WD-40 alike? Doing this may mean that you can’t get it to tighten up properly again, though.

This is an issue on my unicycle as I’ve welded a brake cable mount to the frame on the seatpost area, but with enough pulling and twisting it is adjustable.

Yeah I thought that maybe the quickrelease mechanism had been loosened off , slid up off the frame and tightened onto the actual seatpost just to get it out of the way, maybe?

I agree about the penetrating oil. If that doesn’t work, can you remove the wheel, get another piece of pipe that will fit in the seat tube, put it in the bottom of the seat tube up against the seat post, and tap on it with a hammer to try to get the seat post to start moving up and out?

I see you joined in 2006, posted once in 2010, and posted a second time in 2017. Are you still in Seattle? Are you going to respond before 2022?

Looks like steel on steel. Heat and penetrating oil, preferably Kroil.

I’m in the north part of Ballard by NW 85th St and 15th Ave NW. You could bring it by if you want.

I don’t know if I can wait that long to see how this turns out. :stuck_out_tongue:

OP might have meant the seat is stuck at 29" height.

Some freestyle unicycles have very high seat post clamps, to keep them out of the way of legs and ankles. Not saying this is one of them, just a possibility.

Look around your environment for something to totally wedge the seat into, like maybe a narrow gutter. Or something. Then try twisting the wheel side to side.

The year 2006 called and sent me a new password! :smiley:

I really like Cousin Itt’s idea, maybe in conjunction with oil.

I’m still in Seattle and I still have this stuck unicycle, it’s been well cared for in a nice, dry shed in the back. Harper, if you are still in Seattle and up for this, I will definitely stop by in August or September of 2018!

Hey all, I still have this unicycle. If anyone’s up to the challenge, I could sell it for a pretty good price. Aside from the stuck seat issue, it’s pretty much brand spanking new.

I could move this over to the used / sales forum. Or start a new thread for that? I know different forums have different preferences, please advise.

Did you try opening the frame split slightly? Remove the post clamp, put in a large flat blade screwdriver and twist very hard (may need vise grips on the screw driver shaft). Just need a tiny movement, that you will not even see.

Thanks Matt. I gave up trying to fix it, and just now sold it to a really nice guy who knows his way around these. He convinced me to keep my smaller Torker, which is 100x better for learning on anyway.

Appreciate the responses, and if I ever get my uni-gyroscope-brain working I might see you on the trail!

Just started uni-cycling again, after a 50 year break. Trick we used in a bike shop decades ago when a kid (mechanic). Things are still pretty much the same, 45 years later.

The successful trick was a bigger hammer. I hammered on the top of the seat post directly under the seat with a strong oak spacer (to protect the finish) and a heavy hammer. It was quite tight but came out slowly. Once I got the seat post out the inside of the frame was galled a little so I reamed it out to clean up the roughness. Then emeried the seat post a little. I think the original problem was some small chucks of the chrome finish on the seat post came off and got jammed between the seat post and seat post tube in the frame. It is now back in service.