Seat post height and saddle angle issues

I’ve had the seat post on my Muni rather low for a while, as I though this was the right thing to do.

A friend commented on how low the saddle seemed a week ago I decided to put it up by about a centimeter (0.3937 inches) to match my road uni’s setup - From where the pedal attached to the crank to the top of the saddle…both now measure 81cm (31.496 inches). I am rather short - 5"2 and have an inseem of 75cm.

Here is the weird thing, my muni riding has improved because of this - I am about 1km/hour faster (overnight) and have a lot more power - I can go over roots and stones better and uphill easier. I also have a lot less knee pain, however my hamstrings seem to have to work a bit more.

Can anybody enlighten me as to why traditionally for muni a lower seat post height is advised?

Another question is the saddle angle - was wondering what other people find works for them.

Having more power with a higher seat is no surprise at all to me. To get your foot just a little bit lower near the stretched-leg-position, you must move your upper leg quite a bit. That means that your upper leg (where most of the power is coming from) goes through a larger range of motion during a full revolutions if your seat is higher. That, in turn, kind of implies a lower gear, which is especially useful for uphill. Also, for racing you would put your seat up rather high, so it doesn’t surprise that you are faster.

Then why would you put your seat lower for MUni? That has to do with riding style. If you do a lot of jumping seat-in, you need the space to bend your legs. If you jump seat-out, you need to easily get out the seat, which is more difficult when the seat is high. Also, if you go over roots and stuff, you need some space to let your uni follow the surface, while you yourself “float” above the saddle. If the saddle is too high, it will kick you off the pedals.

Saddle angle: lots of people angle the front side of their seat up, more so than the ‘standard’ angle with non-adjustable seat posts. That way, you are sitting more on the wider back of the seat which is more comfortable than sitting on a narrow middle part, and your family jewels (which as you know males always carry with them) have more room, and they will thank you for it. Angling up sounds like you would crush your balls but this doesn’t turn out to be the case. If you can vary your seat angle, just try it out.

Fortunately my husband is the keeper of the family jewels so I have no so such concerns :)…(Why do everyone on this forum think I am a man?;), I must have a manly avatar!)I will try to angle it up a bit more though as I find I am not sitting on my butt very much. I’m also going to try a KH saddle rather than a Nimbus gel saddle.

Well like a bike, the closer your leg is to straight when fully extended, the easier it is on your legs, and the less effort is needed (need a slight bend at the knee though)

But if you’re hitting bumps and stuff, and your seat is at its maximum height, then the seat is going to bounce you and the unicycle up off the ground quite a bit more, the lowering of the seat allows your body to cushion more of the impact of rocks and bumps, letting you have better control. I recently got a quick release for my muni per UniGeezers recommendation, and now I have the option of putting up my seat high for long flat parts of the trail, and then when I reach a tech section, I can quickly drop it and have a much easier time.

As for saddle angle, I’m still working on my preference myself.

Oops, sorry for my unbased assumption.