Seat drag syntax question

When people say
“Seat drag backwards with the seat in front” does that mean that the seat precedes or follows the wheel?

If you ride forwards with the seat dragging behind, and then you start pedaling backwards, is that seat drag backwards with the seat in front or back?

Why don’t we just call it seat drag or seat push?

the way i have always seen it is:

drag seat in front bwd (backwards)- pedaling backwards with the seat in front of the wheel
drag seat in back bwd- pedaling backwards with the seat in back of the wheel

look here: http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/standard.cfm Scroll down until you see the links for the seat drag skills (35a-c and 36a-c)

The way I see it, backwards is when you aren’t going towards the seat. So to go backwards with the seat dragging in front would be to drop the seat in front and pedal backwards…

Re: Seat drag syntax question

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 21:57:50 -0500, Zee wrote:

>The way I see it, backwards is when you aren’t going towards the seat.

Then when you ride forward and then drop your seat to the back, you
would suddenly ride backwards? Doesn’t sound right.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it, dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it, dit diddle dit dit dit diddle dit dit, diddle-diddle-diddle-diddle-dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it,… - Spudman”

I’m not sure if this is written anywhere in “the rules,” but this is what we probably should be using:

“Front” and “Back” should relate to the way the unicycle is facing, assuming it is right-side up. Seat drag in front would have the front of the saddle touching the floor. Seat drag in back puts the back of it on the floor. This stays the same whether the rider is going forward or backward, or presumably even if the rider is facing the wrong way on the unicycle.

The above general concept comes from Artistic Bicycling, which is where we get our basic rules for Standard Skill. On an artistic bike, it matters which way you face on the bike (and there are lots of tricks with the rider facing the wrong way). On a unicycle it doesn’t matter so much.

Forward and backward should refer to the direction of travel in relation to the way the rider is facing. So if the rider is facing the wrong way on the unicycle and riding toward his rear, that should still count as “backward.” Unfortunately it can get confusing if the rider then starts seat dragging while in this position. Since there is so little difference between riding a unicycle while seated forward or backward I don’t think we need to worry about it.

I hope that makes things more clear instead of less clear…

Now that’s an awesome link for getting information on skills with formally agreed-upon names and descriptions! Well done Leo V. or whoever put it all together!