sculptures.

I just got back from Italy where i was visiting my fiancee.
On a visit to a local town called Pietrasanta i came accross some sculptures in the town square out side of the church…

I thought that i should photograph them and post them up here for all to see.

:slight_smile: hope that you like it.

rimg0047.jpg

Another view.

It is both lovely and disturbing. Do you happen to know what it’s called and/or have any information about what it signifies?

If her seatpost gets any lower… :astonished:

The wheel can be used to symbolically express mankind’s never ending struggle. As this family are going uphill they remind me of the ancient greek legend of Sisyphus who had to push a huge block of stone up a hill side. Whenever he reached the summit the block tumbled down again.

We all do that thing, don’t we?

Oh… And I thought it was evidence of ancient close formation ultimate wheeling.

Whatever the meaning, I like it.

there was no information displayed on them, but i will have a look to see if i can find out who the artist was.
Its a little far to ask my fiancee to drive there and find out.

Apparently it is by an artist named Anna Chromy and this piece is called “il canto di Orfeo”.

Artist: Anna Chromy
Home town: Liguria/Pietrasanta.
Exibited: Sant Agostino, citta di Pietrasanta, Toscana, Italia.

There are no other descriptions of the the influence of the sculptures. But i presume that they would be of Greek influence as Pietrasanta is also known locally as Little Athens.
Toscana is where most Italian sculptors live.

I think the sculpture is actually called “Famille Sisyphe”, meaning the family of Sisyphus.

Now I’m far from fluent in French, but I think the description of the piece says something to the effect of:

Sisyphus was condemned for all eternity to roll a rock up the side of the mountain. Anna Chromy transposed this idea to a sculpture of a young couple and their child, all of who pedal without stopping, never moving, not even a centimeter.

Here’s where I got the info

Re: sculptures.

“pk” <pk@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:pk.1ir4fd@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com
>
> I just got back from Italy where i was visiting my fiancee.
> On a visit to a local town called Pietrasanta i came accross some
> sculptures in the town square out side of the church…
>
> I thought that i should photograph them and post them up here for all to
> see.

Excellent stuff indeed. But could one of you arty types explain why there
appears to be a shortage of arms? I doubt there would be room under the
cloaks for the missing limbs, so I assume there is meaning here, as the rest
of the statues are so lifelike?

Nao

Re: Re: sculptures.

I think the short answer would be “Wear & Tear.” Nobody has posted the age of the sculpture, but if it’s 60+ years old it may have been exposed to war, among other things. In the USA all it would take is one drunk or immature person to break it. :angry:

The descriptions of the sculpture so far all seem kind of depresing. Here’s my suggestion, based only on looking at it:

The Two Unicyclists of the Apocalypse (and the Misguided Party Boy Tagging Along)

Thank you for posting the art!

Re: Re: Re: sculptures.

LOL.
Thank you John.

Sarah

The english!.. it is a multi lingual site.

Sisyphos
The myth of Sisyphos, condemned by the gods to role a boulder up to the top of a mountain, just to see it role back again, over and over, throughout eternity has been transposed by Anna Chromy into the couple eternally pedalling without being able to move an inch.

This perseverance in an effort which is ultimately without result, this ostentatious rebellion against our destiny, this continuous creation is for Anna Chromy the only way to keep our dignity as human beings.
In the young family this tension between the religious principle of hope and the feeling of the absurd and despair are particularly strong.
The way in which the young couple manages to control this tensions determines the future of their union. In the “Sisyphos Family” it’s unequivocally the husband who has the role of Sisyphos, while his wife is turning her head to her child who is still untouched by the seriousness of life.
The “Sisyphos Family” was initially created by Anna Chromy for the medical foundation ARPA in Pisa, whose honorary president is Andrea Boccelli.

Very nice Sculptures. I wish they were in my home town. --chirokid–

Whoa, who modeled for the statue? That chick’s TOTALLY HOT! Does she really ride the ultimate wheel?

Just gimme a name, I wanna Google up some more pictures :stuck_out_tongue:

is the kid coasting or one footing? whatever it is he isn’t putting much effort. what a doush.

Thanks pk. I almost had the right translation! :smiley:

no worries.

i just wish you guys could see it for real… its truly beautiful and probably the last thing i expected to see there.

Actually it wasn’t the only beautiful thing i got to see there.

The most beautiful of stray Siberian Husky…
my friend breeds Huskies and his cross bread husky/timber wolf so i though he would like this photo.

but most beautiful of every thing in italy is my good lady wife to be.

ah love is in the air.

rimg0202.jpg