Schwalbe Big Apple 60-622

Hi.

Some of you have mentioned that you are using the Schwalbe Big Apple with their 28"/29"ers. Schwalbe makes two 28" versions, one that is 2.0" wide (50-622) and one that is 2.35" (60-622).

If you have a 60-622 Big Apple: Which rim are you using?

Schwalbe recommends using this tire with rims not smaller than 622-25C, which are nearly impossible to find, and I would like to know wether it’s possible to mount them on a smaller rim. The Sun Rhyno Lite should be a 622-22C or 622-21C, does the 28"x2.35 Big Apple work with that?

Thanks,
Juergen

Greg Haper has the 2.35" Schwalbe Big Apple on the Blue Shift unicycle. The rim is a Velocity Dyad. It’s not the widest rim, but it seems to do fine with the fat Schwalbe for road riding. The fat Schwalbe makes the rim look really skinny.

The rim database at airfreetires.com lists the Rhyno Lite as being 22mm wide and the Velocity Dyad as being 18mm wide. The Rhyno would be better.
Rim database at airfreetires.com

The original tire was a NanoRaptor, the Big Apple was given to me by Steve Howard. I wanted to use the Rhyno Lite at the time I had the wheel built but couldn’t get one soon enough. The Velocity Dyad fit the NanoRaptor and was slightly lighter so I went for it. Clearly, the Big Apple fit on it also.

Has anyone tried the Motoraptor? Info on this tire is at: http://www.wtb.com/motoraptor_4952.html

-Kris.

Also, any opinions on the Big Apple for offroad use?

-K.

im riding the MotoRapter right now,its a great tyre.

its got slightly less air volume than the Nano but the knobbies are great.

I’ve had my Big Apple on both an Alex Adventurer rim and the Sun Rhyno Lite. The catalog says the Alex is 24.6mm wide and the Sun is 27.5mm wide. Over the years I’ve used many 26 x 2.35" tires on 22mm mountain bike rims with no trouble at all so I wouldn’t expect any problems with the Big Apple on a 22mm rim.

I’ve ridden the Big Apple offroad a few times. It’s smoother and better at soaking up bumps than the 2.1" IRC Notos that the Big Apple replaced. It’s also got a Kevlar belt (not bead) that’s supposed to increase puncture resistance. Of course there’s very little tread so I don’t think it would be good for wet conditions but I live in a desert and the trails are almost always bone dry.

I also have the WTB Motoraptor on another 29’er. Of the three 29’er tires I’m familiar with (Big Apple, IRC Notos and WTB Motoraptor) this one is probably the smallest even though it’s a 2.1" - like the Notos. However, it might be the best of the three since it tracks very straight. It’s suprisingly smooth and quiet too considering the aggressive knobs. But make no mistake - nothing is as smooth and quiet as the Big Apple.

Steve Howard

Re: Schwalbe Big Apple 60-622

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:35:02 -0500, juergen_brauckmann
<juergen_brauckmann.sxdmh@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>If you have a 60-622 Big Apple: Which rim are you using?

I have the tyre but it’s not yet mounted. It should go on my 28"
Nimbus commuter as sold by unicycle.uk.com. Will do so one of these
weeks (I think).

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

I go a sort of ok speed on my Coker… - Roger Davies

Thanks for all your answers. I was a little bit worried because I could not find a rim that matches Schwalbes recommendation for their tire, so I wanted to here from someone that uses it on a smaller rim. Obviously it simply works… . Thanks again.

Regards,
Juergen

Hey Steve – where did you get hold of the 700c Big Apple?

I just saw two in the local bike co-operative thingy here, but they’re on a rather expensive surly karate monkey, so I couldn’t buy them. They look much more like a 26" 2.1 tyre than the silly IRC Notos tyre. There’s apparently 4 different versions, maybe mud, normal and kevlar or not, or something.

Anyone in the UK wanting one, Trek import them as of this year, so you can buy them from Trek dealers.

Oh and the big apple 700c is apparently out there too. So there’s now 3 choices of 29" tyre (the other one being IRC notos 29) available in the UK.

I also saw the 26" version of the big apple specced on some bikes (Surly 1x1 and something else), sounds like some other people have discovered them.

Joe

i belive he had to get one from over sea’s but they are at uni.com now for $35 or close to that i think.

i have also read that there is a new one out from Bontrager called the ACX 29,and lets not forget about the Kenda 29’s,i havent seen these in real life yet so i dont know about them.

But at uni.com it’s only the 26" big apple’s…

Max is correct – they only list 26" BAs.

I have a Kenda Klaw 700c front; next week I get to start off-road again after my sprained ankle and that’ll be one of the first things I go for. If I can remember I’ll post a mounted pic. Until then this will have to do:

The North American distributor for Schwalbe Tires is located in Vancouver, BC. I ordered mine with a credit card directly from their web site:

http://www.schwalbetires.com/on_tour.php?Nickname=BIG%20APPLE&Image=TireImages/big_apple.gif#

Steve Howard

juergen_brauckmann wrote:
> Some of you have mentioned that you are using the Schwalbe Big Apple
> with their 28"/29"ers. Schwalbe makes two 28" versions, one that is 2.0"
> wide (50-622) and one that is 2.35" (60-622).

I’m not using a Big Apple (yet) but this is the rim I’m using. It’s the
widest one Leo White could find. 29mm outside to outside…

http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item4945.htm
36h Van Schothorst ‘Saphir’ 700c Stainless Steel (18/10) rim
drilled for car valve, dimpled spoke holes,
serrated brake surface, weight 820g

Regards,
Mark.

Fujitsu Telecom Europe Ltd,| o
Solihull Parkway, | In the land of the pedestrian, /|
Birmingham Business Park, | the one-wheeled man is king. <<
Birmingham, ENGLAND. | O

jagur wrote:
> i have also ‘read’ (http://tinyurl.com/lq2f) that there is a new one out
> from Bontrager called the ACX 29

Gary Fisher was using this tyre at Red Bull. It was on a b*ke but he
seemed to quite like it. He described it as a 2.35 but I think it was
only 2.1 (maybe 2.2) when I got a closer look. Not convinced it’ll be
any better than the Motoraptor but might be worth a look.

Regards,
Mark.

Birmingham, ENGLAND. | O

Mark Wiggins wrote:
> jagur wrote:
>> i have also ‘read’ (http://tinyurl.com/lq2f) that there is a new one out
>> from Bontrager called the ACX 29
>
> He described it as a 2.35 but I think it was
> only 2.1 (maybe 2.2) when I got a closer look.

fx: checks Jagur’s link.

Oh yeah, 2.2. Ahem. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Mark.

Birmingham, ENGLAND. | O