School sponsered unicycle clubs

I am trying to find schools that sponser unicycle clubs and teams. I am also
trying to locate vendors that will sell good unicycles for the small beginner.
Thanks for your help.

RE: School sponsered unicycle clubs

Harold C. Johnson Middle School Attn- Sara Hope York, SC 29745

-----Original Message----- From: mploaf@aol.com [mailto:mploaf@aol.com] Sent:
Tuesday, April 25, 2000 10:52 AM To: unicycling@winternet.com Subject: School
sponsered unicycle clubs

I am trying to find schools that sponser unicycle clubs and teams. I am also
trying to locate vendors that will sell good unicycles for the small beginner.
Thanks for your help.

I know this is an old thread, but I’m seeking the same info. MPLOAF, did you find anything?

Wow! How did you manage to dig a thread up that’s 16 years old? Some members of this forum probably weren’t even born when this thread started lol

Yes, I think the original poster is probably no longer active.

Yeah, I don’t think MPLOAF ever logged into “the Forums” because they didn’t exist yet. Those were emails.

To help you answer your question, it would help if you narrowed things down a bit. In the USA? What state? Do you have a specific purpose or need? All the online unicycle vendors have good unicycles for small beginners; stuff like that is their bread & butter. And probably all will offer quantity discounts if you have a large group purchase to make. :slight_smile:

Clarification and update - unicycling in K-8 shcools

Thanks for your reply JOHNFOSS. You are right, I should have been more specific. I’m actually only interested in finding out about “schools that sponsor unicycle clubs and teams.” It doesn’t matter where. I’m looking for this information because the K-8 public charter school that my kids attend in Colorado is entertaining the creation of a unicycle program. I’m interested in finding out what other schools have done. Maybe there are some successes out there from which they could learn.

Since my post, I’ve found that unicycle programs appeared to be offered in a great many Seattle Public Schools’ elementary schools. Also, Japan appears to teach unicycling in a great many (possibly most) of its lower schools. I’ve also found a number of other programs scattered across USA. I haven’t yet spoken with any of the teachers who run them – usually P.E. teachers. Unicycle.com is sending me a pamphlet on starting a unicycle club.

At my kids’ school, another unicycling parent (who suggested the whole idea) and I made a presentation to the principals and teachers about the idea of starting a unicycling program. Most of the teachers seemed interested. Three said they’d be willing to facilitate and wanted to learn themselves. I brought a variety of unicycles to the initial presentation and left one behind as a loaner for the teachers who want to learn. I’m taking a 2nd loaner to the school next week. We’re optimistic that this could actually take off.

MuniDad - the Denver Waldorf School and Cherry Creek High School, both in our beautiful state of Colorado, have circus/unicycle clubs, if I’m not mistaken.

This is something that’s been on my mind lately, too–my wife and I have a 5 year old and we’ve been looking at various schools in the metro area for next year. What part of the state are you in?

You might try looking up the PE teacher at Whittier. I don’t know him but have seen his students in the local neighborhood parade.