[Schlumpf Questions] Gear Shifting

Sorry for the multiple posts on related subjects, but I figured people using the search facility in the future might find things easier.

This is probably another question for Schlumpf owners, but any tips from those with experience would be appreciated. I’ve covered around 125 miles so far on my Schlumpf, and am starting to use the high gear a lot more. When the button clicks, the change up or down is normally very good, despite the freewheeling for 1/4 revolution. However, the button clicking seems to be a little hit and miss.

Changing up generally works well, and there is normally a firm click on the 2nd or 3rd try. I do find that I am going quite slowly though. Changing down, however, seems to take a lot more tries, and I often find that before I’ve managed it, I’ve already got to the red light I was slowing down for so I dismount and use my hand to shift.

So, do you need to ride really slow to change? Do you change up and down at speed, or am I expecting a bit too much here? Is there some secret knack to shifting, or is it just practice, practice, practice?

STM

On the 29 schlumpf with 125mm cranks that I tried…I found it very easy to shift using this method:

as your crank is coming up and either…a little before, during, or after the cranks are horizontal (i cant remember), tilt your foot in and use your ankle to shift. Using this method I was able to shift with every pedal stroke. It is practical to shift while cycling (I was too afraid to shift at very high speeds though), and I was able to shift halfway up a hill and halfway down a hill.

The ankle method seems to be a little more difficult on 150s though. I personally would not be using 150s on a schlumpf though if I ever had one…the 125s seem to work very nicely.

I ride slowly to change. Changing down, you can do really easily by stillstanding and kicking it. If you hit the pedals in the right place, you seem to get an instant shift with very little slop every time. The right place on mine appears to be just about exactly horizontal. Changing the other way, it’s luck as to whether you hit a good spot, so you have to be ready for it to fall away for 1/6 of a rotation.

There’s a knack to shifting, you need to kick the button, not rub past it.

I just got a new pair of shoes. On my old pair, the sole at the heel stuck out more than the upper over it, and the only way to shift was to kick with the side of the sole, which required very exact shifting. On my new shoes, it happens it’s more straight up, which means I can shift with any part of the heel/ankle, which makes it really really easy to shift, it’s a massive difference.

I can change whilst moving, but I tend to shift up whilst going very slow, and down from either slowly or a stillstand, because there’s no real reason not to, and it feels safer in traffic that way.

Joe