⚙ Schlumpf hubs produced again

I may have fallen asleep at some point, but I just learned (by following your link) that Florian offers an option to have freewheel in both high and low gear. I thought you had to choose one or the other.

2 Likes

To be honest that could have been a misunderstanding from my side before and something I’d interpreted as one gear or the other as having the free wheel function.

But I think I’m probably not alone in thinking this was the case as UDC UK’s hub builder doesn’t offer free wheel in both modes.

I think the same point could be said that the non-disc older hub version having its own production run flew a bit under the radar and could have been a nice option to be touted more loudly for those looking for a ~£500 cheaper option to the all-singing-all-dancing new hubs.

Are you ordering?

1 Like

It seems we all thought so. Maybe it wasn’t expected by Florian earlier? Maybe he wasn’t sure he would be able to do both ratio as freewheel? :thinking:

1 Like

Your question has prompted a long internal discussion today, which has resulted in an answer of “Not today”. Which, I realize could actually be replaced by “Someday”.

I really wish I could be more specific, but I think the answer above is a long general way of saying “Yes”. :laughing:

At this point in time though, I don’t think I am a candidate for freewheel. And, if I was ordering today I think I would not order the brake version, as I think I would use Spirit cranks and possibly add a brake later.

2 Likes

Could you explain why you wouldn’t ordre the brake version? Comparing the traditional Schlumpf hub and the BrakeFast version, the later is way better. In fact, I couldn’t go back to a traditional Schlumpf hub. Being able to shift while braking is a must-have IMHO. BTW, having the brake version doesn’t force you to put a brake at the beginning :thinking:

2 Likes

Good news!

Before buying a schumpf hub with the freewheel on the 2 gears, you have to be sure… the resale possibilities are low.

My 50 cents about the high gear freewheel option. It has the advantage to be able to start like a classic unicycle with a fixed low gear, but I’m afraid that the gearing is complicated to use. Most will use the brake in high gear. The only interest I see is to be able to take a lot of speed on the flat before a coast… Sure, the hub comes with instructions and life-threatening warnings, but I prefer to repeat it.
I would be very impressed to see someone who is very comfortable with the coast at high speeds. But having made a few attempts, I think it requires a lot of skill to get there without going through a lot of falls. I think that in use, it will be very similar to the Flik Flok… Is it worth the price?

The one that tempts me the most is the schlumpf with the low gear freewheel option. It’s a hub that allows to combine the fun of the freewheel and the efficiency of the shclumpf. I think it can be used as a classic schlumpf hub with the potential of more fun. Unlike the high gear freewheel option, it is necessary to be already comfortable with the freewheel to start.

2 Likes

I don’t agree with you at 100%. Sure, it won’t be easy. However, it seems to me that one of the hardest part in going fast on a freewheel is taking lots of speed. Two cases:

1. You are in a downhill => you can coast => you don’t need a high gear :white_check_mark:
  2. You are on a flat ground => you have to pedal fast to go fast => IMHO, pedaling fast is counter-productive to keep balance on a freewheel => you can’t throw a high-speed balanced coast => a high gear would be great

Next question: would it be worth the price? Well… That’s an open question :slight_smile:
(I’d be very tempted to give it a try, but that’s too much money to just give it a try. I’ll stay for now with my Flick Flock and fixed Schlumpf hubs :frowning: )

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand or see the point.
On the flat, sure if you throw a coast at 35 km/h instead of 25 km/h you will be able to coast further and longer, but once you stop pedaling, it’s a matter of seconds or meters. When you stop pedaling, you quickly go from 35 to 25 km/h. Is it worth the extra risk to go a few more meters? Unless it’s those few seconds between 35 and 25 km/h that interest you?

It’s mainly the slope that will regulate the speed and to make longer coast, I think a heavier wheel is more interesting than a higher speed.

Well, my point is: it is pretty unpleasant to pedal fast on a freewheel uni - whether you are on the verge of launching a coast or not. Having a high gear would let you go fast without having to pedaling fast :slight_smile:

The resale possibilities are low

I think it’s the opposite! We will be flooded by Schlumpf freewheel or fixed hubs. We’ll experience really hard crash… it won’t be difficult to buy a second hand deal in the late 2023 from a previous crashed owner

I see your point. Efficiency + fun – for the minor cost of some control at lower speeds (and selling one of your kidneys).

Are you think 26-29 or more like 36, toutestbon?! I’d be up for 26-29, can’t really imagine 36 that well, being unsure whether I really wanted to coast much high up on a 36er. :thinking:

Personally I don’t see much need for the low gear (i.e. 1:1) on flat ground anyway, so why not set that one free. Uphill it doesn’t matter. For coasting it doesn’t matter which one. And downhill, it’d be nice to keep one of them fixed. Why not the high gear? A Schlumpf hub isn’t well suited for very technical downhill anyway, so be gone fixed low gear, and let the fun begin! :star_struck:

… oh, just thinking about my kidney again. :pensive:

Let me fix that for you (…in my humble opinion):

• You are in a downhill => you can coast => you don’t need any gear :white_check_mark:
  • You are on a flat ground => you can either quickly accelerate and then coast in any gear OR go fast safely in fixed high gear

How about that? I’m not completely sure whether I understood your point either.

Oh. So you aren’t talking about a hard financial crash then? :euro: You’re talking about such one that involves blood and bones, right? Damn! :drop_of_blood:

1 Like

Sorry if I was unclear. I’ll try to rephrase. So, my point is: there are two ways to top a high speed with a freewheel.

Either you coast downhill. In that case, you’re partly right, you don’t need any gear. The only thing I could say on that point is that, if your coast isn’t perfect, you may have to pedal at some point to keep balance or to accelerate even more. It’d be easier with a high gear IMHO.

Either you pedal fast on a flat surface. That’s the key point that makes me want to try a geared freewheel. I find it pretty hard to keep my balance when pedaling fast on a freewheel. Having a geared freewheel would mean that I wouldn’t have to pedal that fast to go fast. I’m not sure how fast we could be on a geared freewheel - probably not as fast as on a geared fixed wheel.

By the way, there was a time - last year - when I was unable to ride a fixed uni at high speed anymore. I had a bad crash and a sprained ankle. For months, I was only able to pedal fast on a freewheel and I was really stressed on a fixed wheel, being unable to get any pleasure in a fixed ride. At that time, I thought getting a geared freewheel would be the thing to do to keep riding. But that was a lot of money I didn’t want to spend. And I’m now able to ride at 30+ kmph on my G36 so it’s alright :grin:
But I’d still like to give a try to a geared freewheel. If anyone has one and would like to let me the opportunity to give it a try, I’d be very pleased!

PS: I’ll probably build a Pipifax 36er in the next month. Maybe I’ll change my mind on the geared freewheel after some ride. Maybe I’ll finally think a freewheel 36er is enough - but I don’t think so :grin:

Hi @Maxence,

If your curiosity is toward the combo freewheel+high gear, you have a cheaper alternative in the geared drift trike hubs. @waaalrus has tested at least one and despite the ratio being different front the schlumpf, they should definitely be cheaper !

1 Like

I know there are some alternatives. @toutestbon has a 3.8:1 geared freewheel hub. But that’s way more than what I’m looking for :pensive:
If you know any other geared hub that’s more suitable, I’d be happy to give it a test. The ratio should be about the same as a Schlumpf hub. I’d say something between 1.3:1 and 2:1.

1 Like

@newuser We are on the same page. I imagined the use of the hub with the freewheel low gear option with a 29" rim.

@Maxence I can’t quite figure you out. You had trouble turning your legs fast with a fixed hub and now it’s more with a freewheel? For me, it’s easier with a freewheel. You can spin as hard as you can, and when you reach your limit, you switch to coast.

And yes I have a 20" freewheel with 3.8:1 ratio and I admit I never mastered it. But I have more technique than 5 years ago, I plan to try again this year.

That’s not it. I have had issues spinning fast on a fixed uni. That was a psychological issue, due to my crash. That has no real link with my real point. I put that here as a fun fact, not to support my point.

My real point is: it seems (it is?) quite hard to spin fast on a freewheel uni, whoever you are. IMHO, here is the explanation. If your pedaling is not perfectly round, then you’ll feel the play in the hub. Be aware that that play is not the same as on a Schlumpf hub. On the latter, the pedals continue to turn if you’re not spinning your legs. This means you’ll continue to spin pretty round even though you feel the play. On a freewheel hub, you won’t have such effect. Then, it is much harder to keep balance and to spin faster and faster because that play will probably worsen at each rotation, forcing you to slow down. In fact, as per my experience, the faster you spin, the less round your pedaling becomes.

So, a solution to that would be to have to spin slower. Thus the high-gear freewheel hub.

Please also note this may be slightly different with an instant engagement. I’m eagerly waiting for my freewheel 36er to try it.
(But I already have 3 other builds waiting to be finished: Flick Flock carbon 27"5, Schlumpf + Brakefast carbon 29er & new 2023 Schlumpf carbon 36er. It’ll have to wait for some time!)

1 Like

This is likely a very good question, that has the possibility of leading to me learning something.

My thought was not to ride without a brake. My understanding is that KH Spirit cranks make it easier to shift, and to not mistakenly shift gears. I figured that if I am planning to install KH Spirit cranks, then purchasing the internal disc Schlumpf hub would be redundant when I would mount the rotor on the Spirit cranks.

Am I missing anything? Like the teachers always said, If I am confused then maybe someone else is also, and will benefit from my questions. :grin:

1 Like

Yes:

• Braking on the cranks instead of the hub makes the brake much worse in high gear (because of the extra torque from the gearing)
  • Having the disk mounted to the crank has led to issues, mainly the cranks Isis interface wearing out and having a very tight tolerance requirement on the Isis interface, so that the disk doesn’t rub on the frame (or the brake caliper). Which is a very bad combination, because one leads to the other and why I think the whole concept of mounting the disk on the crank should have been abandoned years ago…
  • While the hub seems to be strong enough, if you can avoid sending the (quite substantial) braking forces through the gearing and internals of the hub, it’s a good idea to do so
  • Having the brake on the hub instead of the cranks makes shifting while braking better
7 Likes

Well, that about wraps that discussion up! Thank you!

Can I change my final answer? I’d like to change my answer to, “Yes, I plan to order a Schlumpf hub. Not today. But some day. With the disc brake capability.”

That’s a lot of money to spend to misunderstand how the braking forces are applied. :sweat_smile:

Thank you for the explanation, Finnspin!

2 Likes

I’d like to add something on those points:

That’s completely true. The braking power is divided by ~1.5, which makes it really weak. Honestly, that’s something you wouldn’t ever want.

It does not simply make it better, it makes it possible. As long as you apply torque on the cranks, you can’t shift. The rotor being on a crank, you can’t shift while braking. You have to stop braking, shift, get back to the brake. That’s quite tricky to achieve.

7 Likes