⚙ Schlumpf hubs produced again

I paid the taxes the day before yesterday (370€), and the delivery man came by 1 hour ago (10 minutes before I got back from my unicycle ride). It will wait until next week.

It’s a 32h / 100 mm / 203 disc

3 Likes

Same as I, but still nothing :pensive:
When did you order your hub?

Just picked up mine from the post office, and went to check on the forum if anyone could send the manual. Apparently not :see_no_evil:

1 Like

With lacing and truing the wheel you can’t do much wrong to the hub and it’s the most time consuming step. Laced mine up so far, truing will follow.

2 Likes

That’s already work in progress!

1 Like

Just to follow up on this point.

My wheel builder has agreed / advised on the use of washers for the spoke heads on the flat side of the flanges.

This coming from the fact that he’s lacing the wheels as per this:

And the PDF in the old post threads - seems pretty conclusive

Speichenrichtung.pdf (132.6 KB)

It’s also going to protect the hub surface and I hope ensure zero issues with spoke clearance on the frame.

1 Like

RyanBuildsWheels posted some sneak peak shots of my G29er build:

RyanBuildsWheels | Custom Wheel Builder (@ryanbuildswheels) • Instagram photos and videos - check out the story there, by tapping on his logo if on a mobile device.

Or on FaceBook:

https://www.facebook.com/RyanBuildsWheels - think you have to like to then view his latest story.

Edit: the story has now expired but a screen-recording copy is on my Instagram https://instagram.com/mindbalance.cc

Looks like he’s gone with two washers per spoke on the thinner flange side and none on the others. Guess to make it even.

Going to be exciting to see this in person…. SOON!

4 Likes

Anyone had an email from Florian for final invoice for a 125mm hub with brake yet?

Yes, I payed at 20.02.2023. But still not hub or date for delivery.

Invoice 8144 dated 28/04/2023 - Paid same day.
23092 Einrad / Unicycle 1 2060.00
Unicycle hub 2022 1 1680.00 1680.00 1680.00
Distance between centerline of bearings 125mm 1 300.00 300.00 300.00
Disc brake d203mm 1 80.00 80.00 80.00
Spoke flange 36 holes 1 0.00 0.00 0.00

Hi aws & gmerick,
Thanks for the replies.
I’ll keep waiting then, I got most of my gear ready and Jakob is working on my steel frame and aero bar extension (54cm T bar)
I also want to get a Shimano GRX secondary brake lever kit.

The only spokes I could get from unicycle.com Australia are about 5mm longer than that calculated on the unicycle.com spoke calculator.
I’m told a a good wheel builder can cut the extra thread in the spoke and cut off excess length.
Anyone know much or had experience with that?
I was thinking of getting the tool and doing it myself. Also thinking of spares and being able to make them in the future.
The tool I found after a bit of a search is called Hozan spoke threading tool C-702. Anyone come across this tool?

Or could I use the longer spokes with non-standard lacing? Ie extra cross overs.

I was going to buy one of the Cyclo ones at one point (but haven’t yet), I hadn’t heard of the Hozan one. The Cyclo one and it heads are reasonably cheap and seem to be readily available.

I’m not sure what the best (affordable) solution is for cutting them to length in a repeatable way, a set of cable or bolt cutters followed by a grinder seems a bit hit or miss. A guillotine with a hole for round stock was my first thought, but I didn’t really start to look for anything.

Anyhow, as with most things nowadays someone has made a video…

1 Like

I remember having a similar issue when building my Nextie 36" (36h) / not a Schlumpf! I just used a 4-cross pattern instead of standard 3-cross and then spokes was correct length. Maybe try that calculation?

3 Likes

Message UDC in the US. They have an in-house thread rolling and spoke cutting machine. I ordered 3 custom lengths from them (3-cross on both sides, plus a radial set for the disk side, still playing with that half radial idea, but advice is strongly against it).

2 Likes

@Unicyc or you could get some custom lenght Titanium J-Bend Spokes----Baoji Guanheng Titanium Industry (Comeplay). They do apparently make them for 36" - no idea about cost or delivery time…
Nextie 36" carbon rim - #431 by Rowan

2 Likes

I’ve built a (smaller) wheel and had spokes cut to size a couple of years ago.
It was done by Pushys in Fyshwick, Canberra.
Not all Pushys shops would be able to do it - depends on the “back room mechanics”.
This shop had an expensive machine that made the job quick and efficient.
It was charged on a job cost basis, rather than so much per spoke (not sure how much).
Out of curiosity I phoned them to check.
They didn’t have long enough spokes for a 36 wheel in stock of course.
The mechanic said that, in cases such as yours, they could cut an extra 5mm of thread then trim 5mm off the end of the spoke.

So I reckon you should ask around at local Sydney bike shops.

btw changing from 3x to 4x is not going to help - 4x would need about 15mm longer spokes than 3x, but your spokes are only 5mm longer than the correct 3x length.

1 Like

not sure 4 cross is compatible with so large flanges, usually 4 cross is only feasible pour hubs such as Exceed and previous Mad4One

1 Like

Dear Maxence

Today we will ship the hub - good news :-)¨
The track and trace nr is: ######## (www.post.ch)
Have fun with the hub and best regards, Brigitte

Now’s time! I don’t have much time to work on my unicycles - lots of projects: best French muni convention in a few days, Mt Ventoux Unicycle Challenge training, uni-packing journey approaching, … - but I’ll try to rebuild my wheel as soon as possible :star_struck:

8 Likes

Has someone received their hubs in the United States and paid import fees?
I haven’t had to do this in the past so not sure what is expected. Seems about right as I read online that bicycle import is 11% .

UPS is telling me it is$453.6.
That is 12.06% of my invoice for two hubs($3760)

That’s about right. I had to pay $214.30 import fee to UPS on my single hub a few weeks ago (also in United States). Invoice price was $1,953