Schlumpf hubs: general discussion

I had mine slip today, when I shifted up after a lot of MUni riding in low gear. (Wound up on the ground, of course). There is a lot of force on those parts, so part of it may be that your 6Nm torque didn’t remain at 6Nm; mine had definitely loosened since I last checked/tightened it.

Blue loctite on the bolts could improve their ability to stay at recommended torque.

It could also be helpful to clean any crap off the bearings and the bearing holders; when it slips, it strips out the powder coating, which then sits on the knurled surface and probably messes up the fit.

My new precious arrived today, just waiting for the frame to arrive:

(click to embiggen)

:sunglasses:

I’m riding with 4 Nm since 600 km now and it has not slipped (at least I did not notice). And I did never check the bolts again after mounting the wheel. Maybe I should check them before I ride the Marathon in Düsseldorf. On the other hand: Never touch a running system!

That’s the most beautiful picture of a unicycle part I have ever seen. It looks so royally :wink:

Thanks, my favourite of the three is picture number 2 :sunglasses:

Do you have to lube the shift button mechanism?

I’m assuming that the internal oil/grease does not get to the shift mechanism (or it would be leaking everywhere??) so should I be lubing under the shift buttons? If so just general machine oil?

I don’t think you have to lube under the shift buttons or it would have been included in the general maintenance instructions. Most of the shifting mechanism is integrated with the rest of the hub internals, and thus lubricated by the oil that you insert through the normal lube screw opening. The buttons themselves need no oil. How the oil is contained and not coming out of the same whole as the shift shaft, I don’t know. Maybe by gravity and the layout of the hub shell?

If you still doubt, shoot Florian an email.

In fact the hub is leaking through the bearing on one side but I agree with Klaas Bil that there is no need to lube the buttons. If you use oil with lower viscosity than the Schlumpf grease it’s leaking more of course. I use sewing machine oil and/or Schlumpf grease (whichever I find faster :smiley: ) and I have not had any problems.

Do not store your hub at temperatures above 20°C. I had my new hub in my attic for 2 weeks (since I still don’t have spokes) and it can get quite hot there. Yesterday I found that the grease was leaking out. Fortunately the hub was in a plastic bag.
Before that, I had it at lower temperatures (20°C max) and nothing had leaked out.

Of course, that only counts if you don’t use oil (in that case it is always leaking).

My hub leaks, a little, all the time. It’s the nature of the beast I’m afraid. It’s only been really noticable when I haven’t ridden for over a week or more and I’ll find some oil has dripped down along the hub flanges, spokes and pooled onto my rim. And this is in my cool basement where I keep my unis. Again not much oil, but it definitely leaks some. No worries I imagine.

Yeah right, my other hub does that too. But there are 2 different variants: The hubs which run with oil and the ones which run with Florian’s special grease.

My first hub is a “Oil-Hub” and behaves exactly like you describe. The second new one is a “Grease-Hub”. It did not leak at all while I stored it in a cool place, and since I put it back in the basement yesterday, it has stopped leaking again.

And yes, no worries. I just wanted to mention it.

It wasn’t in the manual, so you don’t have to do it.

I have thousands of miles on my hub(s) and haven’t oiled or greased the shift mechanism. Just the gears.

corbin

I saw this post in the “Pictures of your latest ride” and a small detail caught my attention.

To me it looks like the spokes were mounted in the wrong direction. The bend appears to be on the side of the hole that is not countersunk. According to Florian this can cause the hub to break exactly the way we can see on that photo.

When I compare the position of the broken hole to the same on my 2 hubs (right above the oil-screw), and assuming that Florian makes them all the same way, bugeejoe’s hub was indeed mounted incorrectly.

This is the warning that came with my new hub:

Maybe you should reply there too, and refer to your post above.

Hmm, my hub did not come with this warning (one of the first muni hubs). I am now worried that the spokes may be mounted wrong, but I am not sure how to tell - as it is kind of hard to look for countersunk holes while the wheel is already built.

Good point - did it now.

You can see the countersunk side of the holes even when the spokes are mounted:

Wheel built wrong.

It appears not every one received the warning. I believe every USA UDC Schlumpf hub wheel is built wrong. If you had them build your wheel you should check it.

After looking at this picture it looks like I will be rebuilding my wheel tonight.

I can’t because I use washers, but I think with the use of washers, it makes this connection stronger and not likely to break.

Ouch. Looks like I opened a can of worms :o