Schlumpf hubs: general discussion

Sorry I’m a bit late in replying but FYI I had 137 cranks on my 29. I was surprised that I managed to keep up with you for the first lap. Now that I have a schumpf I can see how it’s difficult to shift on the fly on the trail. Can’t wait to race with you again with our new similar machines. I will try and enter a mt bike race with you in the next month or two…

Start Threadjack:

Yes I did climb Fargo St on my first attempt with my 29" and 137 cranks. It was tough and I had to zigzag but I made it. Even have video to prove it.

End Threadjack

I was wondering if you can put a disc brake on with the Schlumpf hubs and what’s the price on them?

I have a feeling that it will be available sometime in the near future. :slight_smile:

A crank mounted disc brake will work, either the Mountain Uni version or the soon to be released KH version.

You probably won’t see a hub mounted disc brake for many reasons.

There are quite a few guni riders who are already using the Mountain Uni disc brake.

Well said. I’ve had those exact same feelings and IMHO I’ve already gotten my money’s worth!

It’s great to see so many newly initiated Schlumpf-ers out there! It’s such a game changer and for me, I ride my G26er almost to the exclusion of any other uni!

I still ride my classic kh 24 MUni when doing bigger drops and more technical terrain, and my 29er feels totally obsolete now, since the G26 is like two MUnis in one; a nimble 26er in 1:1, and a 39er in high! I also still enjoy long beach rides on my 36er, and the Oregon still gets used for stair climbing and other crazy stuff, but my G26er is the ultimate! :smiley:

Thanks.
I ultimately ended up selling the hub, mostly because I couldn’t take advantage of it without ditching my son (and I wasn’t going to spring for Schlumpfs for him and his two borothers who are learning :astonished: ).
Overall it cost me a few hundred dollars, but I also feel that I definitely got my money out of it.

Same here, only cost me a couple hundred dollars to try it out, pretty much the only to do it unless you know someone with a Schlumpf. A geared hub has it place. I find that I like riding my 29er fixed, it’s a great multi purpose muni, if anything I feel like the 26" wheel is too small to manage at guni speeds, so if I ever went back to a gun it would be in a bigger wheel.

Yeah, for bigger people the 26 really is a pretty small wheel, I felt the same way. However, G26 is still probably the size I will go with if I ever gear up again, and I’ll just not push the speed limit too much. Gearing for a 29 is a bit funky, handles better at speed but climbing is difficult after adding the weight to the 29 size wheel, and 29 is still not big enough for great stability with high speed road riding - ungeared 36 is better for road, and maybe even muni, IMHO. I think a geared 36 may be the best combo, but I’ve got achilles issues that flare up if I put too much pressure down (why I switched from G29 to G26), so I’m not likely to ever try a G36.

I have a geared 24 and a geared 36. I love them both. If I could have only one, it would be the 24, because I like riding single-track way more than road touring. I have been thinking about switching the 24 out for a 26, but I don’t think the difference is huge.

I am 6’2’’ and have no problem going fast in high gear on the 24. The agility of the small wheel in high gear is appreciated when juking down a winding piece of technical single track. I had a guy on a MT bike follow me for a bit the other morning. Having him behind me was really pushing me to go fast on a twisty, rocky piece of trail. Afterwards, he was remarking on how maneuverable the geared uni was.

Maybe, I haven’t ridden a 29 Guni, but I do ride a 29er most of the time and I find that is a much easier uni to ride than a 26er in 99% of the single track I ride; hilly, rooty, rocky, muddy. Of course I have my 29er set up for tech muni with long cranks and a fat tire. The only time I prefer the 26er is when I’m tired (easier to turn over a smaller wheel) or when I have some steep tech stuff with lots of drops.

I just got my 36 Muni built up, so nice and “stealthy” :slight_smile:

Just installed the new 26 x 2.25 maxxis ardent on my G26er, and it’s an awesome tire! Very lightweight but still performs much like the 2.4, and it’s high volume enough for the kind of riding I do.

So I took her out this morning for a super fun 11.3 mile ride around Fullerton loop, with lots of steep climbs and descents. Also some funny Hiker comments, and my “Uni-Cable-Cam” at the end. Filmed with GoPro hero hd on 5/11/12.

Not wanting to start a whole new thread, I thought I would post my question here, since it has to do with my G26er.

In an effort to reduce rotational weight, I’ve been trying a few different tires, from the maxxis ardent 26x2.6 (very heavy!) to the ardent folding 2.4, and most recently the ardent folding 2.25. The 2.25 and 2.4 are great tires, in the 700-850g range.

But I do prefer the wider 2.4, so I’ve been considering at the schwalbe racing ralph 26x2.4, which looks to have a fairly aggressive tread design, low rolling resistance, but the weight is a remarkably low 575g!

So my question is, has anyone tried this tire, specifically on your (26er) GUni? Most of the riding I do on my G26er is xc so I’m thinking this might be the ideal tire that will also make a very noticeable reduction in rotation weight.

Two words: thin casing

Two more words: snake bite

The Racing Ralph has plenty of fans, but most everyone who’s ridden Ralph knows there is cost involved with going light: weak sidewall.

Best bet is to get the narrower version with the snakeskin sidewall to avoid tearing it open on rocks; Ralph is not a rock fan.

After watching your video, I’d say yeah, it’d be okay except for that log drop and the loose rock, you just need to be carefull how you hit things, hard landings, and abrasions.

Light or durable, pick one.

FYI, there is a tire exchange and used tire sale thread on MTBR, you might be able to get one cheap that way…

Thanks for that reply Ben. Earlier today, after reading many reviews, I decided to go back to my overall favorite, the Ardent 2.4. I agree about the sidewall issues with the lighter tires, and the fact that you have to run higher psi which I don’t like. And since I do more than xc riding on my G26er, the 2.4 is really the best choice for me. And it’s still only about 825g. If I’m riding strictly xc for the day, and doing lots of steep climbing, I still have my ardent 2.25, which more than 100g less.

Sorry about being off topic,

but Terry, when you were your riding pass that ‘That is Awesome!’ dude early in the video, how did you turn the camera backwards so long and frame it so well while riding forward??? That is Awesome squared!

Your riding is so impressive that I often have the thought that I should just hang up my unis, since what feels challenging to me is proven to be really nothing at all. Heck, I can’t even use my not so young age as an excuse compared to you. But no worries, it’s just a fleeting thought.

The patent pending “Unicam Neck Swivel”, allows 360 degree neck spin for a more complete audio visual experience :slight_smile:

Don’t even think about that Ken! We all love the sport for so many reasons, so let those thoughts not only be fleeting, but gone forever! Ride on, ride strong! :slight_smile:

To answer your first question, I had the camera attached to the end of my tripod, which I was holding by the legs while riding, to get that “pov” effect. So I just kindof swung it back to get his comment.

Sounds like a great idea! :smiley:

Some footage of me riding in high gear on my 24 guni. Check it out!

http://youtu.be/q_QMW_neUmI