Schlumpf hubs: general discussion

To each his own as they say. I can climb plenty fast on my G26er, but that’s what I’m used to and, it’s made me a stronger rider, no doubt. And f I rode my 29er most of the time I might prefer that. But since I’ve owned my G26er for over a year now, my 29er has been collecting dust. I can still appreciate the merits of a 29er, and when I was riding it prior to getting my GUni, I loved it. But for me, it’s a one-trick pony compared to my GUni, which beats my 29er in all respects. :slight_smile:

Haha, come down here and ride Fargo street with me! You can try it on your 29er and I’ll do it on my 24! :smiley:

Wow, did this become a spirited discussion!
The Schlumpf hub is amazing, I’m certainly not knocking it, it just wasn’t for me at this time. However, I’m still a big fan, and definitely could end up with another one some day.

Tom and Terry- its not how many inches you’ve got, its how you use it! :sunglasses:

Just an interesting observation from the recent Uninats (Australian unicycle nationals) XC race. Jamey Mossengren and I faced off in the 14km XC event, he was on a 29er SS 125mm cranks and I was on my G24 with 125mms. The course was a loop that was done twice and consisted of some steep and sustained climbs on fire trail and later, groomed and bermed single track. There was some moderately technical single track and also a few steep and technical sections.

Straight out of the gate the course went up the steepest climb of the race- We both had fresh legs and I would consider us about level when it comes to riding skill. Jamey took the lead initially in the flatter sections. As the climb steepened I caught up to him but it wasn’t until about 4/5ths of the way to the top that I managed to overtake him. We were both out of the saddle, grinding away- I think it just got too steep for Jamey to keep a smooth cadence like I was able to on my smaller wheel.

Overall in the race, I only managed to put 30 secs or so on Jamey in the first lap. In the second lap Jamey faded on the climbs and in the end my lead stretched out to 1min 30 or something.

I had to work really hard to get that result- there was a lot of shifting involved (think 30 shifts or so a lap). If i wasn’t as confident about my riding/shifting ability then Jamey may well have been faster than me.

On an interesting note: Jamey and I both now ride geared 26ers with 137mm cranks. I’m looking forward to riding with him again soon so we can really see how much of an effect the unicycle makes to our relative speed.

Mark

I’m almost to the point of buying another G-Hub as a backup, just in case mine meets its demise prematurely, ending up in “repair limbo” in Switzerland for who knows how long! That’s how much I would miss it! GUni withdrawals would not be easy for me. :o

I’ve ridden Marin in Berkeley on my 29er, I’m sure I could do Fargo.

I’d love to see it. Marin averages 13% grade with a max of about 25%. Fargo is 33% all the way up. So come on down and give it a go. As many tries as you like. I’d love to see you do it on your 29er, or any size uni for that matter. Hey, why not try it on a 36er? You can do it! :smiley:

I will assert that you can’t do Mount Diabo on your G26er in 1:20 (my best time, accomplished twice, on SS 29/110 and G29/150), let alone in 1:13 (the uni course record, done on 36" by Glenn Drummond). Unless you can push the high gear up the hill, which seems unlikely.

There are hills which are faster on smaller wheels, because the 29er gearing is too high for them. There are hills which are faster on 29er than 36er for the same reason. But on average, the bigger wheel will be faster.

The Marin Street climb is nearly a mile long, which is 10 times longer than Fargo Street. It has four blocks which are each nearly as hard as Fargo. And it has traffic so you can’t cheat by riding back and forth across the hill face.

Actions always speak louder than our words, so get on down here and try it. Steveyo from NY came down to try it. He was quickly humbled as everyone is when they see and try Fargo in person for the first time. I know he could have made it to the top with more training, but is attempt was still impressive. I’m proud as heck to be the first and so far only person to successfully climb it, three times, since the event began back in the late 70’s, but I would love to see others give it a try and also conquer it!

I think Jamey climbed it.

A one block climb is not worth a special trip; if I happen to find a reason to be in a godforsaken place like Glendale with a unicycle, I’ll go do it.

You guys, bluster, bluster, bluster :stuck_out_tongue:

Now if you could just package all that energy and use it to convert some bikers into unicyclists…

My favorite wheel, hands down, is the 29". It just feels rights, the rollover, the speed, the stability, it’s my favorite on unicycle and bicycle.

But, some hills/rides are just not 29er friendly, so a smaller wheel has it’s place.

I think a downgeared 29er would be more usable for me than an upgeared 26er, but unless Schlumpf gets a bug in his britches, gunis remain “one size fits all”.

FYI, it seems that i have sold my G26 :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey Tom,

When is the Mount Diablo bike race? Do they let just anyone on a unicycle participate?

Scott

October 7, this year, and yes. They even have a unicycle prize category.
http://www.savemountdiablo.org/activities_events_chal.html

Why?

Every time I hear somebody say that I say try it in a 36er! A geared hub feels more at-home in a big wheel as if it were designed with touring in mind. It’s amazingly easy to ride and I’m not that talented. I’m just now getting into MUni on my new 26" Nimbus (disc brake) Oracle so I could not imagine climbing even a slight incline in high gear on a bumpy trail. On the smooth pavement, riding a geared 36er is only a question of legs and lungs.

Do it! You could “park” your “spare” hub in your KH36. You’ve got all those “flat” beach paths in your back yard. You would love it! I’ve got to drive to the RiverWalk or Levee (rails-to-trails) to find “flat” where I can ride for miles in high gear without needing to downshift for inclines.

I actually started mine in a 29" wheel. Unfortunately, the high gear required enough pushing that it set off an old achilles injury, which is why I then switched to to the G26. So while the G36 does sound excellent for the road and bike paths, it wouldn’t work for me.

Had a great ride this morning at Fullerton Loop on my G26er. I set up my camera to film myself climbing “Heart Attack Hill”, which is about 28% grade. I had to do it TWICE, because the camera shut off during the first climb due to a full memory card!

So I deleted all the files and went back down to climb it again. Revving up the hill felt smooth and solid with the schlumpf, and the more I do climbs like this with it, the better it seems to get. I’m sure it’s because the extra hub weight improves leg strength and cardio, as it does when riding in high. :slight_smile:

Well, because geared unicycles are not for everyone. I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade here since this is the Pro guni thread, but…since you asked :stuck_out_tongue:

If you are reading this thread and dreaming about riding a geared up uni, you need to be very specific about the questions you ask and the people you ask/listen to :o

Too late I heard the answer (Tholub) that would have steered me away from a guni; then again, the promise may have been too strong at the time :roll_eyes:

These are my opinions, based on my short experience riding a guni, and from talking to guni riders and reading about guni riding:

-Geared road riding is the most effective and user friendly application.
-Riding rough terrain in high gear is very destabilizing, requiring very strong riding skills and lots and lots of practice.
-Riding a geared uni is not necessarily faster nor does it necessarily allow the rider to “ride further with less effort”.

That said, guni riding is the edge, and there’s only one way to experience the edge :smiley:

Now if Schlumpf made a 1:1.25, then I’d be back on board.

What about 3 gears 1:0.727, 1:1, 1:1.375 ?