Schlumpf hubs: general discussion

M228

I’m not seeing a pattern…

No does not look like there’s any pattern (so I’m not worried about my M0227 when your M0228 is affected). 1000 km w/o problems so far.

Mine’s M0275

I got my Karvers some weeks ago and used them on my 36" with 150 mm cranks. So far, I am a bit disappointed.

It is an exellent shoe for all kinds of unicycling, so I don’t regret that I’ve ordered them. But I don’t see that I have more success with shifting. In fact, I had my first two UPDs while trying to shift on the 36" (landed on my feet, fortunately).

The padding over the ankle is not as strong as I expected, so the button pushes the padding towards the ankle (with no effect) instead of being pushed in by the padding.

Maybe I need to practice a little more…

Those Karvers are very nice shoes for unicycling. I took them to Mongolia and they worked great. It was nice to have 5.10 rubber too. One time we had a river crossing that was jumping from boulder to boulder and it was great to have such sticky, nice rubber. I find shifting with them quite nice.

I got the replacement hub in December 2005 and have never had any issues with it (or with the recalled one it replaced).

In fact my understanding is that there is not enough thickness of aluminum material all around the outer bearing cage and you loose the tightening. Florian made too large holes too save weight ! I was surprised when I saw the first photo with bigger bearings hubs and it seems to be the reason of your concern. May be next production batch will be improved again ?

bouin-bouin / Didier

The locktight solution worked for me.
I had to remove the bearings to clean up the hub’s body and outter bearing, then I reinstalled evrything before applying red locktight all around the bearing. I rode ~100km without any trouble. I hope it will hold on for a long time !

The Schlumpf website lists a Street Hub FS and and a Muni Hub KH. Which hubs are people getting these days? Does he still manufacture both models? Has everyone gone to the KH for compatibility with KH frames? Do you have any advice for which one is more appropriate for road riding on a 29" or 36" wheel?

Scott

Scott, You want the KH one – it has an ISIS hub, which allows the use of KH cranks. KH ISIS splined cranks are the best; I was constantly bending or breaking the standard square tapered cranks.

corbin

Loctite (and not Locktight !) cannot be a real solution as the bearing loose start by a plastic deformation of aluminum flange, it will just extend hub life

Alright, thanks for the advice. At least I will be able to ride it untill winter, then I may ship it back to Florian for a permanent repair.

Tool for the Schlumpf

I got my Schlumpf used and the wrench used to hold the gear button wasn’t included, does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative?

I think you should ask the guy who sold it to give you a wrench. Why would he want to keep it anyways? Maybe he just forgot to include it.
Otherwise contact Schlumpf. Of course it will involve some shipping costs then.
Or as another possibility make your own tool or have it made. It shouldn’t be that difficult.

For a while my button tool was lost. I’ve since found it, but in the meantime I used a snap ring tool. It worked very well for me.
Like this one at Harbor Freight.

(I can’t seem to upload images all of the sudden. Huh.)

-For a while my button tool was lost. I’ve since found it, but in the meantime I used a snap ring tool. It worked very well for me.

Cool. Thanks.
I’ll give that a try.

I posted this to the Schlumpf poll thread. Some guys have found it helpful so thought the Schlumpg general discussion thread would be a better home for it.

Schlumpf gear shifting technique story, along with HD video:
http://unplannedismounts.com/2010/09/25/guni-mythbuster-my-c-r-a-p-gear-shifting-technique/

(toggle to HD once it starts to load, or better, watch at Youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ0oUpSkGrc

Hey Pete, you make it look so easy. I rode 24 guni 3 mornings this week. The 2nd was my best day shifting yet. When you’re doing it well, it is unbelievably simple. I had many, many up and down shifts in a row to adjust to the terrain. Only near the end did I have a couple cases of “can’t buy a shift”. I think some of that can be caused by poor foot placement. My 3rd ride I came down off my high and had more missed shifts and 2 accidental shifts to low (UPD city). When I got to the parking area, I tried lots of up and down shifting and had no issues, hmmm. Shifting in the middle of rolling, rocky terrain definitely makes shifting more challenging. I have noticed that the best technique is to rotate the heel in a little and (more importantly) to roll your ankle over toward the crank at the same time. I have also noticed that if my foot is placed too far out on the pedal, I have a hard time shifting.

Just like a sleight of hand trick, you make that look so easy. Nice camera mounting job btw.

Brycer

I really didn’t had any trouble shifting on the 24" Geared Muni I tried. The other riders were suprised how easy I could shift! I guess it’s just a matter of practice. When I first tried a Schlumpf uni I wasn’t able to shift for the first few tries, but I managed to do it pretty easily after a little pratice!:slight_smile: Schlumpf unis are just soooooo cool to ride!