Schlumpf gear-change unicycle hub prototype revealed

Schlumpf Specs

Schlumpf has posted specs on their website:

• 2 gear ratios: direct drive1:1, overdrive 1:1.5
  • Shifting: direct shifting via push buttons on both ends of the spindle. No cables, no rods.
  • Housing: corrosion resistant, completely encased and protected against dust and spray water.
  • Hub: for 36-hole rims
  • Axle length: 140mm
  • Crankarms with standard square end
  • Crankarms available: 104, 125, 127, 152, 165, 170, 172.5 180mm
  • Distance from outer side of ball bearing to outer side of ball bearing: 102mm
  • Designed for bearings with width 40mm, diameter 12mm

Re: Schlumpf Specs

How does that compare the to the bearing to bearing width of standard hubs like the Suzue or the Uni.com Chromoly hub? Is it wider, narrower, the same?

Re: Re: Schlumpf Specs

Suzue measures 104mm, so essentially the same.

Scott

Re: Re: Re: Schlumpf Specs

Bummer. I was hoping that it would be wider than the Suzue. There is no need to try to squeeze a hub like that into a narrow frame. Might as well make it a little wider. Oh well. I’ll have to see what the flange to flange width is to get a batter comparison. The bearing to bearing width doesn’t tell the whole story.

That’s a price I’d happily pay for an epicyclic/geared hub. They would be perfect for unitouring and (if robust enough), for MUniracing. Can’t wait for the production versions of these things.

Ken

I’m thinking similar about the muni riding. On a 26/29 wheel it’d mean you could easily go 20 miles on road, then do some off road and then ride back. Currently when I do rides like that, it’s usually on a 29er with short cranks, which is a bit of a compromise for both the road riding and the muni riding, or the coker which is a lot of a compromise for the muni and limits what you can ride.

Joe