scaredycat

I went out and rode in the snow today which was lovely. Whilst doing this I found a great big pile of gravel frozen up and covered in snow, which was fun to hop up and a nice soft landing.

Anyway, doing this I discovered that I can pretty reliably hop about a foot up. However if you put solid obstacles in the way, I can’t go anywhere near that, either I just don’t make it, or I chicken out at the last minute.

anyone got any tips for getting my hops closer to the max I’m obviously capable of? Other than not being such a scaredycat. I’ve read the thing by Kris Holm on muniac.com, which is great, but it doesn’t really work for me in this situation.

Joe

Weird. On the contrary, when just hopping on the flat I can’t get very high at all, for some reason. Give me a ledge to get up, and I can go much higher. I think having a target to aim at and not having to drop back down again helps.

No help at all, but there ya go… :slight_smile:

Phil, just me

How do you know your hopping a foot? did someone watch you and tell you? because from the riders perspective, that can be deceiving. Also, I’m assuming your hopping seat-in. Try doing a pre-hop, and also i usually visualise myself making the hop, and what it would feel like, when i’m doing a high height. Finally, a good thing to prevent you from chikening out is to have leg pads. If you d’ont have any, i’d suggest it. Same thing goes for metal pedals. Buy some nice grippy pedals to go with your pads.
When hopping up things it’s hard to get hurt on objects as small as 1 ft. if you d’ont make the height, you’ll land on you crank.

That’s about it, hope it helps,

-Ryan

I know I’m hopping a foot because I can hop 1ft onto this pile of frozen gravel and back off again. It’s just with more scary and solid objects I chicken out.

The tip about the crank sounds sensible, didn’t think of that.

I’ve got grippy pedals, but maybe I shall get leg pads, they just seem like so much hassle though.

Joe

knock a pedal shaped section of flesh out of your leg and they won’t be that bothersome!

Once you have your pads for a while, they contour to your legs, and basically fall into place when you put them on.

You get used to the feeling of them fast, and they take about 2 minutes to put on.

Metal pedals and no pads? Bad combo!

Re: scaredycat

joemarshall asked:
> anyone got any tips for getting my hops closer to the max I’m obviously
> capable of? Other than not being such a scaredycat. I’ve read the thing
> by Kris Holm on muniac.com, which is great, but it doesn’t really work
> for me in this situation.

I’ve found that beer works wonders. I’ve never managed to hop up a step
sober (I always wuss out), but I surprised myself by just how easy it was
after a couple of pints at last year’s BUC.

Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
Recumbent cycle page: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine