Santa Barbara trails claim another frame

This time, the victim was one of the newer aluminum KH frames. Hans (the destroyer) is a beast.

It isn’t my rig, but I believe the frame survived for just under a year. Pic below.

kh frame.jpg

Wow lol, what was he doing when it snapped?

Jagur’s prophecy has come to pass.

So far that’s at least two aluminum frames claimed by the SB trails.

from the way that snapped it looks like it was either launched from under the rider and took a huge fall, or when someone was doing a drop they turned kinda sideways and torked it, cause I mean alluminum doesnt really bend it just snaps or cracks.

ok thanks! That is a good explanation, i understand it now.

:astonished: WHOOOW

that’s insane! what kind of trails are up is SB? I’m in sand diego which isn’t too far away. I want to come on some rides up there!

that’s kind of sad. I always thought of the KH frames as Bombproof. :frowning:

I said a prayer for the trusty steed when I originally saw the broken frame.:wink:

Of note, I don’t see the seat post going all the way through the fork. Now, I am not familiar with the KH frame, so I don’t know if the seat post can go down all they way through the fork legs. If it could, then, I would think that having the seat post go all the way through the fork legs would strengthen the seat post tube and thus the frame.

Looking at the picture, the seat post doesn’t appear to be long enough to go down all the way. I wonder if that contributed to the breakage.

Hans also “took out” a Lyte Rider fork. That frame allows you to insert the seatpost tube all the way down through the fork and out the bottom. So, maybe it doesn’t make a difference. :thinking:

I know Hans, he’s tall and a strong rider. Maybe it was just brute force and those frame gobbling trails of the SB.

Dunno

Cheers!

The seatpost cannot go down through the fork legs on the KH frame. I feel it’s a design flaw, not so much because of strength but because it severely limits the adjustibility of the seat.

The KH frame does not allow the seatpost to drop through, it’s blocked off by the horizontal frame member. If the post dropped through it might have taken some of the force, but this would require removing metal that would make the frame weaker in other ways. I think it’s fair to assume given KH’s history of quality products and exstensive testing that this is the best configuration possible.

It appears the upright broke just above the weld, as is common in metal failure, a closer inspection of the break surface would indicate the mode of failure.

Tholub you’re right it does limit seat post adjustment, but this could also be addressed by making the frame stem longer, with no other obvious disadavantages except a very slight increase in weight.

Making the frame stem longer has another disadvantage, in that it limits how short one can be and still ride the unicycle.

I don’t think KH would make the claim that his frames are the best configuration possible. Among other problems with that claim, you have to define what it is you’re trying to be “best” at.

No of course, but if having the post drop right through the frame had a significant overall advantage, i’m sure he would have done it. I guess the problem is comprimising for different people’s needs, a very tall and powerful rider might well benefit from a different frame configuration to the average rider.

Having the post drop through the frame has a significant overall advantage; it gives you at least an extra two inches of adjustibility. The total safe adjustibility on the KH frame is not much more than an inch. I adjust my seat more than an inch for different kinds of riding, let alone different crank lengths or different riders. If I wanted to configure the thing for easy XC riding, I might ride with a high seat and 150mm cranks, and then if I wanted to do serious MUni on it, I would want a low seat and 170mm cranks. That requires some 40-50mm of adjustibility right there, which is probably more than the current KH design allows.

It probably would not be as strong to have the seat tube pass through, with the aluminum cross-members welded to the side of the seat tube. Steel frames get away with it because they’re steel. So KH is trading off flexibility for weight.

:sunglasses:

it took a little longer than i thought it would to see the first casualty. i bet it wont be very long till the next one pops.

Steel wins.

I guess the question is, it the weight savings worth the risk of a frame breakage?

Hundreds (thousands) of KH unicycles with aluminum frames have been sold…and how many have broken?

Has a steel KH frame ever broken?

Yeah, not even after falling off a Honda Element at freeway speed and bouncing “joyously” down the freeway shoulder…:wink: :smiley:

LOL! Yep, they ARE durable. (The seat didn’t fare too well)