Saddle for long rides for women

Haha! Always good to force oneself out of the comfort zone.

Thank you for the tips, I have ordered a Qu-ax bar now and will practice on flat ground first.

1 Like

Cool. Also, if you sometimes dismount off the front, now is the time to focus on controlled dismounting off the back. Learn that before riding with handlebars :slight_smile:

UPDATE

I’ve bought the Nimbus Air Saddle for a good amount of money and was a bit disappointed in the first time.
But now I like it!
I’m riding with it and the KH Handlebar and it’s definitly great for longer rides, but I still combine it with padded bike underwear/shorts.

I didn’t try unipacking yet (cause I had to much fun doin biketours :wink: ), but I’m looking forward to 2022 to do some kind of unipacking tour :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is an issue with so many things in unicycling and one of the reasons why I think that a lot of people end up with so many different unicycles.
Even if you can somehow try out a large selection, it can take a few rides to get over the “I don’t like this just because it feels different” and gain a better idea of whether or not it’s the right fit for you.

Happy to hear you’ve ended up with a saddle that seems to be working for you.

2 Likes

I remember seeing a long time ago now a touring unicycle with handlebars that were behind the seat and came around the side of the riders butt. They alowed the rider to press straight down and take pressure off their back side, sort of like sitting on the handlebars of a regular bike. Seemed an interesting solution to the saddle pain problem. Not sure how the uni was mounted.

Yes Lars Clausen rode across country on one like that. Even though he rode many miles on it, it is obvious that the idea did not catch on. I would think that if you put much pressure on the arm/hands that it would get old pretty fast. My best solution to the whole problem is to take a short break every few miles.

1 Like

This photo shows the saddle situation a little bit more clearly.
(Couldn`t find a better one)

2 Likes

I love to ride the Kris Holm Fusion Zero for long Distances rides with the 36". Many People hate that saddle I know, some People love this saddle. I can 35 km ride without mounting. But it’s comfortable to have all 10 km a saddle break or a nice view where you have to dismounting your uni.

I still love my Fusion One (and liked the Fusion Zero before it), but I hear that it’s generally less popular among women, with the more recent Nimbus saddles generally being more popular there.

I really wish there was some way to recommend saddles by actual measurement data, but nobody has that. Maybe that should be a thing.
I imagine we’d need; sit bone distance, weight, upper thigh girth, and riding style (including handle/no handle and normal riding distance) as a minimum. Get everyone to rate any saddles they’ve had from 0-10 and maybe we’d get somewhere.
The saddles themselves can surely be categorised dimensionally and in terms of curve and foam thickness/density.

As a woman, I don’t like the recent Nimbus saddles. Eg. Nimbus stadium. Just an odd shape. I don’t like the Club or trainer saddles either, too firm. The M4O saddle handle, it’s an up and down thing. Sometimes ok, but sometimes not ok.

The older Nimbus Gel was ok, maybe a little too curved and no central groove but overall, it’s ok. The KH Fusion Freeride, KH Fusion Street and the QX Eleven are all good.

I haven’t really used the KH Zero and used the One minimally as it needs a different seat post.

Havent tried any air saddles, perhaps they are good but since I like the KH Fusion freeride, KH Fusion street and QX Eleven, I don’t feel the need to specifically buy others to try at this point in time.

1 Like

I am not female and cannot speak to any difference that would present. I use the air saddle cover, I have one on my 29er and on on my 32, one over a KH street fusion and one over a KH fusion free ride. It will make almost any saddle more comfortable for around $50.

However one thing that the air cover won’t fix is chafing on the legs - a common issue that people face with older shape saddles.

1 Like

I have not experienced chafing. I use chamois butter on long bicycle rides that may help in that department. My issues as a male is the usual pressure on the Private parts and on the sit bones,. the air saddle cover has helped me ,This may or may not help our women riders. Note It will make your saddle more bulky which has not been an issue for me.

I would love to see a picture of this with out the rider in the way. It would be nice to see it from a few angles to see what it looks like and how it is mounted.

Here is a different photo. There was a time in the early 2000’s when there were quite a few of this style around. I’ve seen other photos but can’t find them now.

WOW, I can see why they did not catch on. A rear UPD could be devistating.

I really do not want to hi Jack this thread so this is a just a comment on your picture of the backward handle bar. It looks very difficult to mount and that is the craziest looking massive saddle i have ever set eyes on.

A friend of mine uses the Kris Holm Freeride Saddle and loves it. While using 2 months. Many reviews are also positive Kris Holm Freeride Saddle | Unicycle.com