Ruined. Irretrievably ruined.

Better take a closer look, I know in your unicycling heart of hearts that it’s a 2005 KH24 it was a recent purchase.:wink:

Wouldnt the guy who bought it know what brand it was?

Wouldnt the guy who bought it know what brand it was?

Terrible tragedy.

Digital Dave knows his stuff. The tree was scraped up, but no more. Garrett got his glasses mashed into his head by the airbag and he’s bruised and banged up pretty good, If I heard right. The really frightening bit was when his leg was caught in the jeep. His buddy had to climb out past him, and the fire had already started when they got him loose.

Ixnay on the suranceNay amSca… UniBrier is one of emThay…

I had no airbag, and no seatbelt. :astonished:
I was a walking zombie for a week or so…

The airbag saved him some serious injuries.

Those type of impacts shove the engine into firewall then under the chassis, rupturing fuel lines.

The 1970 impala is a tank of a car, but you should have seen what I did to it.
(I don’t have my scanner setup, sorry)

How much do you want for the thing?

I’m serously interested in buying it if it’s cheap enough.

Too late. They’ve already taken it apart and salvaged the frame. What little chrome that was left has been removed and it’s goin’ for paint.

Did you want the pile of debris they had left? Are you a sculptor or something, Catboy?

Anyhow, Kevin said they’d post on here later, so you’ll get all the drama firsthand.

Damn. I really wanted the entire thing, as a collectors peice, also, I wanted the frame.

But hey, if you wanna ship me the debris for a low cost(IE: 5 bucks or so plus shipping) PM me.

DUDE?!

taking that apart was a mistake…like i said earlier. He sould have auctioned it off…lots of people would have liked to own a functional firebomb peice of art like that. i would have bid up to $150

If that wasn’t so tragic… it would be AWESOME… lol

I have an idea! Just tell everyone that asks that, “you MUNI’d all the way through hell and back!”

That’ll get some good expressions.

my condolences

Hmm. That’s one way to get the steel cables out of your tire…

I’m interested to know if the hub has gotten weaker. Also, does anyone think it’s weird how the crank melted off, yet the spokes are still there and the rim is still there?

As for the engine block being shoved back, I I’m curious, who was the genius who decided not to put auto-cutoff on the fuel lines? I recently heard a statistic that 1 cup of gasoline aerosolized and ignited explodes with a force similar to that of 10 sticks of dynamite.

Anyone remember the guy who went into the ditch on Sunday of CMW? He did the same thing, but instead only went into a drainage ditch.

It’s me, the dad Kevin

DAD GUMMIT! If I had known, I certainly would have saved it for the highest bidder. We still have all the charred burnt salvaged peices…suppose we could put it back together. Although, the frame has been stripped I could torch it again!

Let me tell you it was quite an emotional and scary night, not to mention the following couple days. Garrett’s friend Jon suffered only one minor scratch on the knuckle. Garrett would have not been injured either 'cept the air bag punched him in the face. They walked away clean.

For those of you who are curious, it was the 24" Nimbus Uni on Unicycle.com. First uni on the Novice page listing for $209.

Kayote (Greg) got us interested in this Muni thing last Spring when we spectated the Wolfman Duathalon competion here in Memphis. Garrett and I were hooked before the race was over and had two trainer unis on the way by day’s end. By end of summer last year we were hitting the trails pretty heavy and had begun practicing for this years event.

Mine is peiced together from different parts, but Garrett’s was a Christmas gift from his grandmother (my ma) He wanted one he could ride off road as well as do trials. He was getting really good and hopping in place which is a very good skill to have leaping over roots and rocks. With that Nimbus 3" tire, he was owning mud holes and obstacles to the point Kayote was impressed.

Now he’s got a frame, a seat post, and a seat post clamp. The frame seems to be in perfect conditon less the chrome now. Not sure what color, but he’s prepping it for new paint. We have an old seat off one of those trainers and a set of pedals from an older mountain bike. Just need a wheel combo and some cranks. Won’t be the same but it will get him back on the trails.

He’s a wonderful kid, and he’s extremely humbled by this expereince. He was actually out looking for a job that night so he could earn some cash to upgrade his Jeep. Which on the other hand demonstrated some rather natural off road driving skills just the weekend before in Hot Springs. I’m a jeep nut and have three…his was number four. Now he got nottin’

To the previous post…when the impact occurred it snapped the fuel injection tubes. No fuel shut off would have prevented the fuel already present in the lines. It was an older engine and plenty of oil residue was evident. The impact must have cracked the coil or something else to cause a spark. There was no way of telling as the entire vehicle was gutted. Anything metal was charred, fiberglass turned into stardust, and alluminum melted.

Which brings me to the other comment about the cranks and pedals. They were alluminum. Funny though…one crank was completely melted to include the pedal. Only a small mangled melted chunk left hung off the hub. The other crank and pedal is fully intact, although the hub is toast.

By the way, Grandma is pissed!

Enjoyed reading and will entertain any questions.

Oh, and I like the thread about riding a Muni to Hell and back. Making of a good t-shirt design!

Kevin

Re: Ruined. Irretrievably ruined.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:35:41 -0600, “Kayote” wrote:

>The lawyer’s on the phone…

Refer him to this thread. All the evidence is here, saved for ‘all
eternity’.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

people who unicycle are shyly exhibitionistic - GILD

Good thing it wasn’t an aluminum KH cause the frame would have been just a puddle. Steel frames rule! :slight_smile:

Gilby posted a photo somewhere of a pile of charred unicycles after the fire in his parents garage. I did a quick search and couldn’t find the photo.

Now that everyone’s had a chance to weigh in, it seems perfectly natural to have saved the poor defeated uni and hung it in honor on the wall. Don’t know why it didn’t occur to us to begin with.

On the other hand, I now have that MeatLoaf lyric about “run (ride) right into hell and back” stuck in my head and I’m gonna have to dig up that old (OLD- it’s on cassette tape) album ‘Back Into Hell’ and hear it.

I’m gonna do the shirt.

Yup! I lost sleep over it. I’m an artist, too and why didn’t I think of it as a cool wall hanging. Garrett and I actaully talked about if we could reassemble it the way it was.

Yeah, Meatloaf! I got that cassette somewhere.

Might have to do up a shirt design meeself…

Hmm…maybe I can make some kind of sculpture still.

I understood that the fuel lines would still have fuel, but I would imagine that the entire tank had to go for the car to be as gutted as it is. Then again, I imagine the fuel pump wan’t working once things started burning…

Gas is a ‘funny’ fuel…

One time … in my 1968 International Pickup ,…

The fuel line poped off the fuel filter at 60mph.
I had no hood over the engine.
(I painted it real nice :smiley: )

So, the fuel sprayed all over the engine and windshield…
… even onto me (the windows were open)

I freaked (as you could imagine), because the plug wires were always arcing on that old beast,
, and the engine was hot, not to mention the exhaust manifold and pipes !

Well, the truck never caught fire.

It took time for my eyes to clear, and the fuel to evap off the engine before I could reattach the fueline…

I was bummed … cuz, I was on my way to the all nite strip club :slight_smile:
(had to go home to change clothes)

Southern style cussin’

Daaaayyyyyyuuuummmmmmnn.