Rolling Trials

Re: Rolling Trials

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:43:39 -0600, “Brian MacKenzie” wrote:

>This is like people riding mountain bikes complaining that they cannot
>compete in the tour de france because their equipmant isn’t suitable.

Ho ho! Is it not allowed to compete in the Tour de France with a
mountain bike? I guess the choice of material is up to the rider. It’s
just that you will soon find out that you can’t win the TdF on a
mountain bike.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

It’s impossible to get old when you ride a unicycle - John (what’s in a name) Childs

Re: Rolling Trials

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:01:39 -0600, “HardcoreCokerRider” wrote:

>- Unlimited Class (you can use any combination of any of the above wheel
>size uni’s)

Why only “of the above”? Unlimited to me means unlimited. I would
accept that it would have to be a unicycle, but any wheel size would
be OK (what about if someone makes a 32", or a 42"), as well as geared
etc. And giraffes as well, but probably not recommendable in Rays’ :slight_smile:

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

It’s impossible to get old when you ride a unicycle - John (what’s in a name) Childs

it’s spelled ‘eh?’. Just fyi. :slight_smile:

this 26", 24x3", 24x2.6" argument strikes me as the ideal kind of thing to sort out after a couple of Rolling Trials meets
if someone on a 24 (irrespective of tyre-size) can generate the speed and momentum to get thru the lines and compete on a level with the Coker Pilots and the 28/29"Jockeys, they should be ‘allowed’ to compete
if, however, it is found that the smaller wheels simply can’t get up and down some of the swooping lines u’re suggesting, then the problem would’ve solved itself

another thought
is it possible to draw the lines on the pics u post of the skatepark-style obstacles in red?
i’m not sure if i’m just stupid, but i battle to imagine the lines from your descriptions
nothing wrong with your descriptions, i’m just not very familiar with the terminology and end up getting lost while i try n figure out the line u’re describing

Re: Re: Rolling Trials

The term “Unlimited” for Rolling Trials refers to a uni of any approved wheel-size class. The wheel size (any choice of tire is acceptable) classes that have been approved for Rolling Trials so far are the following:

1. 24”/26”
  2. 28”/29”
  3. 36”

If and when geared uni’s become more commonplace, a new class or classes will be considered to accommodate them because gearing uni’s make them go faster, which will add more speed and momentum to a sport that was established on speed and momentum… making it bigger, more extreme and even more exciting to watch! If someone makes a 32” or a 42” wheel uni (with an inflatable tire) AND they become widely available (and fairly commonplace… similar to the current level of Cokers), I would definitely consider adding them as a class. Regarding giraffes… are you serious? Can you picture a giraffe riding up an 8 foot ramp? Giraffes could do even less than 20” wheel uni’s… this sport is about rolling over (big and difficult) obstacles that require speed and momentum… I don’t think a giraffe would be your best choice of equipment! Actually, I will be riding my geared giraffe at Rays (at least in those Sections where I won’t smash my head into anything :D) during Brian’s video release/ride party… just as a novelty! Well, maybe it would be cool to watch a giraffe ride some of the easy, smaller obstacles. You’ll let me know what you think once you see the video! If a lot of people think a Rolling Trials class for giraffes would be cool (and are willing to participate in that class)… then, I’m certainly game!

I think many of these issues have been worked out since the time of the post you are quoting. 24”/26” uni’s are now a single class and a rider can use any tire size they want. If someone wanted to ride a 24” or 26” unicycle and compete against Cokers, then they’d compete in the “Unlimited” class. By the way, I love the term “Jockeys” for the 28”/29” riders… now you just have to come up with a term for the 24”/26” guys (and girls, hopefully)… unless you think coming up with terms like these is discriminatory, as did one forum member who posted previously.

Here are the pictures with the Lines drawn in that you requested:

Line #1. Up & Down: Follow the black line and ride straight up the ramp beyond the dashed red line extending from where the catwalk (ledge on top of the middle ramp) meets the ramp on the left (that is being ridden), then initiate a 180 spin at the top of the ramp (above the extended line) and ride down the ramp and 12 feet beyond the point where the bottom of the ramp meets the floor. Your line would be very close to the black line I drew in… only you may go up and down the exact same single line (if you do the 180 spin at the top perfectly)… but I drew two black lines for the sake of illustration purposes.

slant_ramp_line_1.jpg

Line #2: Halfway up, Backward back down: Ride halfway straight up the ramp, following the black line and arrows, then come to a momentary stall about halfway up (by the horizontal black line), and then pedal backward (do not turn) straight back down the ramp (following the gray arrows) and 12 feet beyond the point where the bottom of the ramp meets the floor.

Line #3: Straight to the top, Backward back down: Same as #2, only you have to ride all the way to the top of the ramp and backward all the way back down and 12 feet beyond the point where the bottom of the ramp meets the floor.

Line #4: On to the top ledge and backward back down: Same as #3, only you have to ride straight up the ramp on to the top (flat) section and keep pedaling until the front of your tire comes within 6 inches or less from the barrier (fence wall) and then come to a momentary stall and pedal backwards off the top of the ledge and backwards back down the ramp and 12 feet beyond the point where the bottom of the ramp meets the floor.

slant_ramp_line_2.jpg

Line #5: Across the Catwalk: Follow the black line (approximately) and ride up the ramp on the left, then turn sufficiently to (clear your pedals and) ride up on to the catwalk (ledge on top of the middle ramp), then ride across the catwalk and drop off the ledge on the other side to the ramp on the other side and ride back down that ramp 12 feet beyond the point where the bottom of the ramp meets the floor.

slant_ramp_line_5.jpg

[U]Spine Jump Lines:[/U]

Line #1: Follow the black line and ride straight up the Spine Jump onto the top of the Spine, then drop down the other side of the ramp and ride 12 feet beyond the jump.

spine_jump_line_1.jpg

[U]Spine Jump Lines I[/I]:[/U]

Line #2: Follow the black line and ride straight up the Spine Jump on the far right-hand side and get a small amount of air over the spine. Perform an aerial 90 degree pivot turn and land on the top of the Spine, with your wheel now perpindicular to it’s direction during your run-up and launch. Next, pedal along the top of the spine to the far left-side of the ramp, then do a 90 degree pivot turn and drop down the other side of the ramp and ride 12 feet beyond the jump.

spine_jump_line_2.jpg

Quarter-Pipe with Ledge Lines:

Line #1: Follow the black line and ride straight up the launch ramp to the landing on top, then drop off the landing onto the straight ramp below and ride down the straight ramp and 12 feet beyond where the straight ramp meets the floor.

qpipe_ramp_line_1.jpg

If a sport like this were on cable, then and only then, would it be worth paying $40 a month for service. People love to see side-by-side racing action. Why not on Cokers?

Throw in some Coker-derby: people with huge elbow pads throwing clotheslines and causing huge wipeouts on teeny little oval tracks with slightly-padded railings that are at just the right height to take out a kidney, then I’d spend my life savings on a big-screen TV and never leave the house again.

The line I drew on that last ramp is a bit misleading. Though it’s hard to tell from the picture, the ledge actually drops you onto the downramp below, NOT onto a flat section, so there really shouldn’t be any horizontal line after the drop (as I incorrectly illustrated)… it should be pretty much be a straight line.
HCR

How about Rollerball on Cokers??? …and the shoot that you have to drop the ball into is located on the top of a 12 foot ramp that you have to ride up perfectly in order to score :smiley: !

Your posts are forcing me into revealing my other ideas that I was hoping to save for later… I wanted to develop one sport at a time!

D’oh!

I’ll shut up now.

We’re all patiently awaiting the DVDs to come.

What happens if you launch up something then you bring the wheel up while you’re in the air to clear or get up to an object? Is that a pennalty of is it ok?

That would be completely acceptable because it is not technically a hop. You are already airborne from your momentum so you can do with your wheel what you please while you’re in the air!

no, i don’t find it (nastily) discriminatory in the least
i think it’s quaint
one those odd things that people are going to try n figure out the origin of, 10 years from now
when (providing the idea sticks) we can have a good laugh at the theories the commentators come up with to explain the terms
i mention commentators because it suddenly struck me this morning that this is possibly the discipline to break into the ‘XTreem’ shows and festivals
thoughts?

following the natural progression from ‘Pilots’ thru ‘Jockeys’, i guess the 24/26" riders might be known as ‘Runners’?

[edit] the pics u posted don’t seem to want to display
is anyone else having the same problem?

Its starting to look pretty good,hcr.but,what other types of terain would rolling trials be done on besides skateparks?

[/B]
[/QUOTE]

[edit] the pics u posted don’t seem to want to display
is anyone else having the same problem? [/B]
[/QUOTE]

worked for me.

Rolling Trials will take place primarily on two types of terrain:

1. Skateparks
  2. MTB
    (or a combination of both)

While the path (from “entry point” to “exit point”) that you are required to ride over successfully in order to earn the points is referred to as a “Section” for most MTB obstacles, the path that you are required to ride over successfully in order to earn the points for skatepark obstacles is usually referred to as a ‘Line.” The main reason for this is that a “Section” is usually ridden in a single direction from entry point to exit point, making it fairly easy to identify the line the rider should ride in order to clean (complete) the section and win the points. For most skatepark obstacles, however, a single obstacle could offer several different “Lines” of varying difficulty, and the Rolling Trials competitor would not have any way of knowing which “Line” to ride without first seeing a diagram and/or description, or being told what the Line is. In addition, unlike most Sections, certain Lines may require the rider to ride the same path in two directions (such as riding up and down a ramp, pedaling frontward the whole time… with a 180 spin at the top) or may require the rider to pedal backwards (such as riding up a ramp to the top pedaling forward and then pedaling backwards down the same line you rode up to go back down the ramp). Just from looking at the ramp, the rider wouldn’t know which Line to ride.

Rays being an indoor MTB park with loads of obstacles under one roof… it is the IDEAL location for Rolling Trials competitions. I have attached a pic of a Section from Rays (many of them look a lot easier than they are… especially if you’re riding a Coker!). This is just one example of a “Section” (from Rays).

There are probably at least 50 Sections that are ideal for Rolling Trials at Rays. I will post a separate thread with some more Rolling Trials Sections from Rays when I have a chance. If I already rode the obstacle when I was at Rays, I’ll give you my estimated difficulty rating for that Section, based on my “Database Difficulty Ratings” (only 1 rider, instead of 5, though). Once you try Rolling Trials, I think you’ll be addicted!

Section #1: Ride over the skinny swing bridge, around the turn and then down the teeter-totter and onto ground level for 12 feet (or up until the start of the next obstacle – whichever is shorter).

skinny_swing_bridge_to _teeter-tooter.jpg