Rolling Trials Sections @ Rays...

Here are some Rolling Trials Sections from Rays with my estimated difficulty ratings for the 36” (Pilot) class. Keep in mind that many of the pictures posted do not show the entire Section area, such as the run-up or perhaps the exit. Since the attached pics do not display the entire area you need to see, it will be even harder for you to gauge the difficulty level (which can never really be determined too accurately, anyway, until you actually ride the Section). I copied my “Database” difficulty ratings (formally organized competitions do not have official difficulty ratings… they are used just for reference… exactly like in unitrials) to this thread and pasted it at the bottom, so that you don’t have to jump to my previous thread in order to access them. Since Rays is currently the single worldwide location that has the most MTB Sections under one roof, any Rolling Trials competitor who can clean the most Sections at Rays is likely to also be the “Database” champion… unless some hotshot (practicing at his local MTB park or building his own Sections, perhaps) also gains some skills at the local skatepark… and then comes to Rays and cleans house in addition to nailing some of the most difficult skatepark Lines!

Here are the Sections at Rays: (an official competition would indicate the “start point”, “entry point”, and “exit point”… but since all of these points can’t be seen in every picture, I’ll just indicate the points that can be seen.)

[B]Over the Logpile and around the Bend:[/B] Ride over the logpile and around the bend.
Entry Point: Beginning of flat ramp prior to logpile
Exit Point: Beyond log that supports the track on the other side of the bend (across from the log pile)
Difficulty Rating: 4

Database Difficulty Ratings:

10 = Never successfully completed by any of the top ten rated riders/pilots & 1st
rider/pilot to complete
9.X = Completed by fewer than 10 rated riders/pilots (X = a number from 1 – 9
and designates the # of riders to successfully complete the Section) 9.1 is
followed by the name of the 1st rider to complete the Section (for example:
9.1 JFoss would mean John Foss earned 10 points as the first person to
complete a 10 rated Section. The next 9 riders/pilots to complete that
same Section in the future will earn 9 points, as it is easier to complete a
Section that you know for sure is 100% doable. Once 9 riders complete the
Section, it then becomes a level 8 difficulty Section, unless it can be
completed by 5 of the top riders in 12 (or fewer) attempts
8 = Any level 9 Section that is completed by 10 or more riders in more than 12
attempts becomes a level 8 Section AND any Section in which the average

of attempts of 5 of the top 10 rated riders/pilots is greater than 12

7 = Average # of attempts of 5 of the top 10 rated riders/pilots: 10 - 12
6 = Average # of attempts of 5 of the top 10 rated riders/pilots: 7 - 9
5 = Average # of attempts of 5 of the top 10 rated riders/pilots: 4 - 6
4 = Average # of attempts of 5 of the top 10 rated riders/pilots: 1 - 3
3 = 5 of the top 10 rated riders/pilots can complete the Section 3 times in 3 attempts.

[I]In order to be a “rated” Pilot/Jockey/Runner (PJR), you must earn a minimum of 20 points by cleaning Sections that have a difficulty rating of 6 or higher (you are awarded the point value of the Section/Line if you clean it) OR you must earn your rating by accumulating 10 points through formally organized Rolling Trials competitions (3 points for a win, 2 points for second place, and 1 point for third place).

[/I]

logpile1-1.jpg

Over the Small Pyramid: Ride up the small launch ramp, down the landing ramp and 12 feet beyond where the landing ramp meets the floor.
Entry Point: 2 feet prior to the ramp
Exit Point: 12 feet beyond the ramp
Difficulty Rating: 3

Over the Large Pyramid: Ride up the quarter-pipe launch ramp on the right and down the landing ramp and 12 feet beyond where the landing ramp meets the floor.
Entry Point: 2 feet prior to the ramp
Exit Point: 12 feet beyond the ramp
Difficulty Rating: 4

pyramid-jump.jpg

[U]Across 2 skinnies:[/U] Ride down the narrow ramp, across the first skinny, around the bend, and then cross the second skinny to the next wider segment
Entry Point: Prior to the narrow downramp.
Exit Point: As soon as you cross onto the wider segment after the 2nd skinny.
Difficulty Rating: 5

ramp_to_skinnies_with_turns.jpg

could you make a hundred or so more threads on this tommorow please, theres nothing like waking up in the morning and having the whole front page full of threads about the same damn thing.

Actually, I’ll be quite busy tomorrow… but I should have some time over the weekend, so if the weather is bad and I can’t be out flying or on my uni, I’ll definitely see what I can do for you! I don’k know if I’ll be able to get to do 100 that quickly, though… that could take a bit of time… but I’ll do my best to accommodate you as quickly as possible. Do you prefer the skatepark Lines or the MTB Sections? You may want to take John Foss’ advice, however, and rather than look at a bunch of pictures, actually get your sorry butt over there to ride :D.

Jagoff, while I’d be the first to say HCRs posts could stand some editing for size, at least he’s contributing something in terms of ideas, helping to push some thinking around the sport in directions it hasn’t been. What the frig have you contributed in the last year besides grumbling and bitching and criticizing?

I liked your old avatar line…“thousands of posts, all lame I hear”.

You heard correctly.

your memory sucks…it was “3649_all fluff i hear.”

anyway Rutabaga-O’crap, its not my fault you registared last year and missed out on my last 4 years of “tips” and “advice”

you telling me that i havent posted anything useful in the last year as well is total bs, just because you wake up in a cot on your moms service porch and beg to use the computer after shes off the phone with your case worker doesnt mean that when you finally dail-up and see a post from me thats some what truthful, isnt a contribution to the unicycling commuity.

Your original comment was pretty rude though, and hardly necessary. There are obviously plenty of people here, including myself, who enjoy reading Andrew’s posts.

Realistically, one extra thread on page 1 isn’t causing you all that much inconvenience.

Andrew

Thanks for your support, Rutabaga. I can try to avoid posting real long messageses… I’m just real psyched that most of the members of the forum seem to be reacting positively to my ideas and efforts… but perhaps sometimes I get a bit over-zealous and try to get too many ideas across in a single post.

Thanks for your support, Andrew.

My sentiment, exactly! And being that we are only one month away from Brian’s video Release/Ride party at Rays… I didn’t think it was inappropriate to post a separate thread specifically about Rolling Trials Sections at Rays so that members of the forum who are going to Rays for the video release/ride party (or considering going to the party) could get a good idea of what the Rolling Trials event might be like… in case they want to participate. Considering that my previous post (Rolling Trials) had mostly skatepark photos and was a more broad discussion of this new sport in development, I didn’t think a more focused thread, about Rolling Trials Sections specifically at Rays would be objectionable. Well, I guess you can’t please everybody!

I like reading all your stuff,but it does get a little long.

well it would seem like i just contributed to your new avatar since you stole it from me somwhere in the last hour.

you can have it, i token of my kindness…i’ll attach your old one in case your memory fails you again.

rutabaga avatar.gif

Not stealing…just increasing exposure to the image as a show of respect for Your Jagness. Isn’t that what you were doing with Rhysling’s avatar, or did you have his advance written permission to use it?

It IS a nice image…and you’re correct, it’s a useful contribution. Keep it up…you’re on a roll!

I like eggs and pancakes, does that help the matter?

didnt think so, but after reading a bunch of people post about alot of nothing, I figured I would do the same thing, just to make other people read this too!

remember, a newspaper isnt the only thing thats black and white and red all over… so is a penguin with a sunburn!

dont forget about the poached Zebra.