Road, Muni & Trials - My First Uni video

Whilst you’re better than me at unicycling, people say you’re meant to jump seat out towards your front foot.

Sweet vid, loved it! Trials was the best part to me, you might want to try going faster on the downhill -trust me its more fun :wink:

I don’t see why it makes that much diffrence :thinking:

I prefer sidehoping to the left, I can go to the right but not as well. Just because people say you’re meant to doesn’t mean you should, you should do what ever is best for you.

Thanks for the posts guys.

@semplice - Yeah I’ve got 125mm Qu-AX aluminum cranks on there.

As your front leg acts as a barrier to the unicycle. (if you jump the other way, you over balance).

Yes, I understand that people should do things the way it works for them.

That was good. The trials was definately the best part.

but the leg on the other side counters that, your brain can easly handle it

Nice video i think the trials part was pretty good just like everyone else said. Keep it up!

who says that?
cause i don’t.
i jump towords my left with my left foot back…
which is what it seems he does.
good vid.

Chase

keep riding and practicing ur doin better than i was at my 8 month…
your hops are high though…

joe hodges jumps towards his back foot, so it’s not that big of a limiting factor in trials.

Well ‘‘sponge’’ was adamant with me I should learn to jump the other way (’’ everyone other than joe hodges jumps towards front foot for trials’’)

Cheers for the comments guys. I’ll do another video, when I make a significant improvement in my riding or if I get bored.

cheers for sending me the link dan, i dont check the video forum often.

Nice riding though :

WHY THE F**** do you put TRIALS and start doing STREET ??? HUH ???

LOL only kidding - sweet riding (i wont repeat the comment about the trials being awesome but u know it :P) - looking forward to riding with you in bristol, when you coming down do you know?

Just jump to the way that is comfortable to you. My friend jumps with his right foot forwards, going to the left, and can gap 6-7’ static easily, and is a sweet trials riders.

yeh can everyone stop thread jacking on that hole debate please, but just to thread jack not everone jumps to the front foot i jump to my back n it makes little odds i think anyway keep the comments rolling in

Nice vid mate!

Iv never met you before, your a good trials rider! Come to the MK Ride!

Rock on!
Edd

Some people have asked me about this in depth, and I might as well explain in detail…

Joe, in all truth, dislikes his jump-side very much, because he knows that jumping to the backfoot side is inferior to the forward foot. He mentions how sometimes after a very ‘oomph’ gap or hop sideways in any matter, sometimes his seat wants to lean out and away from him because his back thigh is not really ‘there’ to block the seat. Whereas if you hop to the forward foot side whilst SIF, your forward thigh is directly pressing against the saddle meaning that it is a barrier stopping it from leaning sideways:

Forward Foot hopping:

Back foot hopping:

Also, he’s tried raising his seat high and still, there is a little bit of this ‘leaning’ from time to time.

For pedalgrabs, he suffers a bit too, and so do I. I have ‘sussed’ hopping both ways (right and left hand), and I can confidently say that hopping to the forward foot makes SIF hopping a lot more stable and less effort is required to keep the seat in place. Balancing your foot on the back pedal is a lot more awkward on your body position than it is if you balance on your forward pedal. I got Joe to try both and instantly he found balancing on the front pedal easier, as he sometimes fails lines due to him finding it hard to balance on the back pedal which causes difficulty hopping up onto tyre from it. Now, Joe often pedalgrabs and swings his uni around so his right foot is forward instead of back, and does a 180-rev hop up when he is in tricky situations because he finds it easier to balance leaning on a forward foot.

Loads of you who already naturally do hop to the backfoot will argue that you don’t feel unstable at all… Well, partly pride is getting in the way, and if you got REALLY good at hopping your opposite way with opposite hand, then you would be able to compare for yourself and see that forward-foot hopping is easier to do when SIF’ing.

It’s not the end of the world if you hop to the backfoot… I do it as well now because my right wrist is injured meaning I can not hop to my forward foot (left), and I cope, but I can’t help but feel slightly annoyed at how much easier it is for the human body to do trials SIF towards the forward foot as I once did it and now that I use a slightly less-stable technique it is a bit ‘discouraging’ in a way. But whatever, do what works for you,

BUT, if you are at an early enough stage in your riding to alter your technique and style then i recommend you to try hopping to your forward foot and the correct hand to go with it. Many would agree, some won’t. But coming from someone who has experienced and can ride with both hop sides and hands (sorta ambidextrous/ambi-hopside…?), I can confidently say forward foot is EASIER to do if you want to get good at SIF.

Only a tiny handful of back-foot hoppers have made a name for themselves in TRIALS comps (Joe Hodges, Mathieu Huet) whilst top-end forward-foot hoppers far outnumber them: Kris Holm, Zack B, Ryan Atkins, Tom Pec, (Yoggi and Tiffouille (to an extent)) etc…

Purely sidehop wise, yes, Fabian and Joe are up there in the highest, but so are Tom and Ryan. But trials isn’t ALL about sidehops, it’s about lines and a fine balance in all fields.

I hope this clears things up.

VIDEO: It was pretty nice, and for 8 months it’s fine. :), you still beat me at those street tricks, keep things rolling that way.

Woah, nice post Sponge! Come to MK on sunday!

Rock on!
Edd

:(, I wish I could. I rolled my ankle really badly last friday messing around on pallets. Still can’t quite walk yet.

Damn, it would’ve been good to see you guys again, and new faces too!

I am learning to sidehop both ways at the momment, I’m just a lot more confident and controlled going to the left.

The reason I go to the left stems from my trials bike days. I had a Koxx levelboss 26" which has a mech hanger on the right side. To avoid smacking the hanger (which incidently breaks quite easily) I learnt to sidehop to the left, so when I started unicycling I found sidehopping to left easier than to the right.