road crown

I’m a new rider and am having problems riding on crowned roads. Almost all the roads in my neighborhood are like this. I’ve been riding mostly on my 20" Onza also have a 29er (but it still kicks my butt a bit). I can do ok for awhile, but as I get tired it really effects me and frustrates the crap out of me.

Is it just a matter of time/practice until I can ride it, or is it always going to be a pain (should I find a new place to ride?) There is a fair bit of traffic so I can’t ride down the middle of the road.

Does wheel size make a difference? Will it be easier on the 29er?

Thanks,
Anton

Its a little bothering to ride on sloped stuff but not too hard. You should get fairly used to it. id ride somwhere else though if you could. Like sidewalks or trails.

Practice will certainly make it easier. Different tires deal with road crown differently as does varying tire pressure.

I find the problem with road crown to be worse on my 29er. I wish I had the solution because I still struggle on my 29er when it comes to riding on rounded streets. Funny thing is though, I get used to riding on the right side of the street then the left side gives me problems. I get used to riding on the left side then the right side gives me problems. My neighborhood streets are not real busy so I ride down the middle as much as possible. I also try to find flat roads and other places to ride. There is one street in particular that has a lot of road crown. I guess I should hang out there until I get this issue resolved.

I have been riding unicycles for 4 years and the 29er for about 2 years.

keep a higher psi. the road will grab at your tyre a lot less.

higher pressure and practice. The Big Apple 29" is a pain on the crowns if thats the tire you’re riding.

Re: road crown

On May 26, 12:43 am, anton005
<anton...@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
> I’m a new rider and am having problems riding on crowned roads. Almost
> all the roads in my neighborhood are like this. I’ve been riding
> mostly on my 20" Onza also have a 29er (but it still kicks my butt a
> bit). I can do ok for awhile, but as I get tired it really effects me
> and frustrates the crap out of me.
>
> Is it just a matter of time/practice until I can ride it, or is it
> always going to be a pain (should I find a new place to ride?) There
> is a fair bit of traffic so I can’t ride down the middle of the road.
>
> Does wheel size make a difference? Will it be easier on the 29er?
>
> Thanks,
> Anton
>
> –
> anton005
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> anton005’s Profile:http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14941
> View this thread:http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61190
>
> Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.usenet.com

what crank length are you using i found that a bit shorter crank is
easier to pedal on a bigger wheel

why the F*** would he want to go buy a new pair of cranks when a shot of air at the petrol pub would do the trick? damn swindler!

:smiley:

yea your just using different muscles, and you’ll get better at riding over time, as they develope.

I actually did better today with the 29er as opposed to the 20". There is a school about 1/2 mile away with a large paved playground. So I get practice on the bad roads to and from there, but get a nice break from the tilted roads at the school. I need alot of practice, but it’s nice to see progression, today I had no problems mounting the 29er :slight_smile: a nice and needed change. Thanks for all the input, it’s much appreciated.

Anton