Riding with the girls...

Had a great time Uni riding with two of my daughters tonight. As soon as I got home from work, my 8 year old asked if I would go ride unicycles with her? What a question? I love riding Unis with my daughters. I quickly changed clothes, and off we went.

The three of us started by riding hand, in hand, in hand, for 1/3 mile. There is a new family in our neighborhood. They happened to be standing outside their house and they just stared the whole time as we rode by. We yelled “Hello”, just like we were nothing out of the ordinary.

Next, we watched each other trying to ride up a steep concrete driveway. My oldest (11 years old), was really pushing hard and went right off the front of her uni, down to her knees. She got a nice little bloody scuff on her knee from that UPD.

Then the girls practiced idling for a few minutes. My 8 year old ran home and grabbed one of her twirling batons. It was so cool watching her ride around and twirl. She even started throwing the baton up in the air and catching it, all while riding. I’m such a proud daddy. They then practiced free mounting, and a little backward riding (with my hand for support).

But the two things that amazed me most are these: First, both girls practiced hopping (first time ever, but with me holding one hand). The were getting 3 or 4 inches off the ground, hopping 5 to 8 times in a row. Then, most amazing, was watching as they both rode their unis to our house. We have to ride (they always walk 90% of the way) across two back yards to get to our house. They both rode the whole distance without a UPD, I am so proud.

It was a super great time riding with my girls tonight. Right now, they are fast asleep, hopefully dreaming about riding Unis with their Daddy tomorrow. --chirokid–

That’s great! I’m very happy for you.
You know, pretty soon they’ll be riding circles around you. Wait until they are ready for 10 mile trips, and you’re getting tired at 5 (reference to another thread).
They say that the happiest day is when the pupil surpasses the master. Does the same apply to your unicycling daughters?

I tell them that all the time. We watch UNIversaL and I tell them how quickly they will pass my skill levels.

And yes, that saying DEFINiTELY applies to my unicycling daughters. :smiley: --chirokid–

I hope my kids will take an interest in unicycling too.
The other day my daughter wanted to try my unicycle. She stood on the pedals holding on to the seat post while I held the seat.
She’s not yet 2 years old and just recently managed riding a tricycle, so unicycling will have to wait a while (at the very least until she can reach the pedals in bottom position :)).
Still, she did want to try, and that must be a good sign, right?

Morten

Both of my boys (4 and 6) have informed me that they want unicycles for future birthdays. The 6 year old wants one for his 8th birthday (he wants a skateboard for the 7th) and the 4 year old wants one for his 7th birthday (he is having trouble with the two wheeler for now and doesn’t think he will want a unicycle sooner).

I can’t wait.:smiley:

Re: Riding with the girls…

Mandell wrote:
> The 6 year old wants one for his 8th birthday (he
> wants a skateboard for the 7th)

What are the local laws on beating children? :wink:

> and the 4 year old wants one for his 7th
> birthday (he is having trouble with the two wheeler for now and doesn’t
> think he will want a unicycle sooner).

But of course young children don’t tend to understand the passage of
time. This is presumably the equivalent of “when I’m bigger” which is
usually followed a couple of days later with “am I bigger now?” :slight_smile:

By the way, people have asked about motivating young children to learn
how to ride a unicycle. My 6 year old has just sussed that if she can
ride a unicycle, she gets to go to unicycle conventions with daddy.
Damn, I’m going to have to go out unicycling with my daughter and take
her to conventions. :wink:

Regards,
Mark.

Fujitsu Telecom Europe Ltd,| o
Solihull Parkway, | In the land of the pedestrian, /|
Birmingham Business Park, | the one-wheeled man is king. <<
Birmingham, ENGLAND. | O

Mark Wiggins <M.Wiggins@ftel.co.uk> wrote:
> My 6 year old has just sussed that if she can
> ride a unicycle, she gets to go to unicycle conventions with daddy.
> Damn, I’m going to have to go out unicycling with my daughter and take
> her to conventions. :wink:

I wondered how long it would be before she got in on the act, I hope she
enjoys her second BMW sometime even if she doesn’t remember her first.

Sarah

Union of UK Unicyclists
By and for UK riders

Calling young ladys who want kids…

Ok looks like i need to start spawning so i can teach my kids to unicycle…some people don’t think i would make a good father, but thats only because i wont let them out of there cage unless its to eat there one meal a day of bread (no butter) and water…

I wouldn’t be that bad a father would I?

Sarah Miller wrote:
> I wondered how long it would be before she got in on the act, I hope she
> enjoys her second BMW sometime even if she doesn’t remember her first.

Aimee’s first unicycle convention was BUC4 in Gloucester. She’d’ve been
10 months when she completed the IUF obstacle course - with just a
little assistance. Charlotte’s first was BMW2. She’d’ve been 5 months at
that one. Hmm, I seem to have a habit of turning up at conventions with
babies. We’ll all be at Mostyn this year - but don’t expect any more babies!

Regards,
Mark.

Fujitsu Telecom Europe Ltd,| o
Solihull Parkway, | In the land of the pedestrian, /|
Birmingham Business Park, | the one-wheeled man is king. <<
Birmingham, ENGLAND. | O