Riding While Otherwise Occupied

I’m working on my juggling while riding.

I think I could get to where I could play a guitar while riding.

What do you folks do to occupy your time while riding? (or wow the crowds :astonished: )

People seem to be amused when I’m riding along the street and I’m removing a jumper (in winter) or a bag or adjusting the straps on my helmet, because I’m not really thinking about riding the unicycle and it’s as if I’ve almost forgotten I’m on one wheel. They expect you to be concentrating really hard on keeping balance, but as you know basic unicycling isn’t really that hard once you practice a bit.

Andrew

Pulling a rucksack off your back, getting an umbrella out of it, putting the bag back on and the umbrella up generally turns a few heads. I like it when it rains… :slight_smile:

Phil, just me

Re: Riding While Otherwise Occupied

In the February 2001 On One Wheel report on Eurocycle 2000, I believe there is a photo of a participant in an undressing while on a unicycle competition.

And, of course, there is this March 2000 OOW cover photo:

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Re: Re: Riding While Otherwise Occupied

Let’s try this again:

If you have a personality like mine, then this would be good for you. I am into trying to get people’s eyes to pop out such as falling off the back of a chair when out of the corner of my eye I see someone enter a room, or when there is a group or something in my living room of people I don’t know, falling down the stairs, doing a chin balance with a chair and let it coming crashing down on my head, etc. So on a unicycle, I like to pretend I am trying to take my shirt off and get it stuck up around my arms and head and flail about as though it were real. Gets a pretty good reaction. Gets a better reaction if I bite it.

Other than that, I can now balance a juggling club on my chin and idle, and I am working on other juggling tricks as well.

Oh yeah…almost forgot, I wouldn’t recommend doing this just anywhere, but one of my favorites was unfortunately not executed by myself, but my juggling partner Chuck. We were in a parade at an amusement park. Juggling and unicycling at the same time. We came across a metal sign that was rather low and evening catching me off guard, he rode up to it and smacked it with his hand and made a whiplash motion with his head, fell off the uni scattering the clubs everywhere. I near wet myself immediately, but our “boss” ran over frantically to see if he was alright and the reaction of the people around just watching was even better!

Sorry so long. Have a nice day!
Anthony

I like to take the trash to curb with my muni. I’ve juggling while on the muni once, and it was harder than I expected. I need to work on it. Lately, it’s been really cold here in Iowa, so I’ve been doing a lot of shivering with my arms crossed while riding.:smiley:

Mojoe

Holding up an open umbrella on a windy day is always good way to keep you occupied while on a unicycle.

My other favorite is to play the “Too Fat Polka” on my accordion while riding. The last time I did that stunt was about four years ago. I don’t know if I would be willing to do it in public again.

not TOO original

Talking on a cell phone has turned a couple heads.

Of course hockey and b-ball always provoke a laugh too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Taking pictures, of course.

Once I even loaded film during a unicycle race. Though now I shoot mostly digital, that would be, in anything, changing batteries.

The race in question was the prox. 9 mile marathon race at the 1996 NUC in Chariton, Iowa. Plenty of time to do it, and not a huge field in the race. I finished in a pre-planned, attempted tie with Andy Cotter and Dustin Kelm.

Advice: Load the camera before the race starts!

I also took a few pictures during the Marathon race at UNICON this year, which you can see on my Web site: http://www.unicycling.com/ofoto/uniconvention.htm (UNICON 11 part 2)

Stay on top,
John Foss

I can play the harmonic whilst riding.

I idle on the uni whilst making announcements in Morris shows.

Most appreciated ‘trick’ seemed to be when I freemounted and rode my 20 across a fete field with a flight case in each hand (harmonicas in one, amplifier in the other). And that wasn’t part of the show.

I used to roll cigarettes while riding. The wind was generally more of a problem than the motion.

I once ate a bowl of prunes when I was riding and the wind was generally more of a problem than the motion…

I used to consume meals while riding, to save time.

This practice ceased due to an unforutnate incident involving a dark and stormy night, KFC, a large unseen bump, oncoming traffic and a nasty encounter with asphalt. Worst of all I lost most of my chips :frowning:

Now my most common actions are getting something out of my bag or answering my cell phone.

I can do just about every juggling trick I know on a unicycle with the exception of jugglers run and a few of the wierder contorsion based tricks. I have yet to try fencing though (noticed some one posted some nice unicycle fencing pics to the gallery)

At 07:20 10/23/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>What do you folks do to occupy your time while riding? (or wow the
>crowds :astonished: )

I go for groceries on my unicycle. Being a college student in a college
town I don’t have more than a mile to go anyway, so I mount up and go. My
biggest achievement recently was just the other day when I managed several
bags of groceries and 2 12-packs of bottles of beer all while on my Coker.
(Hint: stack the top box upside down so you can hold the handles on both
boxes at the same time)

Once or twice I’ve knitted while riding on my uni and I frequently read as
I shuttle myself back and forth from classes, errands, etc. on my wheel.

Hmm, now that I think about it I’ve also carried luggage with me as I’ve
travelled to church, a friend’s house, etc. to meet up and go camping or on
a trip. The most I ever carried at once was an acoustic bass guitar, a full
laundry bag, backpack and a duffel.

I assumed that everyone else lived on their uni too… :slight_smile:

Mike
Eugene, OR

The one thing that has gotten the most attention was when I tried to shoot at cans (with a pellet gun) while on the uni. I live in rural area, so I wouldn’t recommend anyone in the city trying this! :smiley:

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 07:41:55 -0500, phil wrote:
> Pulling a rucksack off your back, getting an umbrella out of it, putting
> the bag back on and the umbrella up generally turns a few heads. I like it
> when it rains… :slight_smile:

Yeah, but on a unicycle it’s easy. I once took my rucksack off my back, took
my jumper off, put it in the rucksack, then put that back on, all while
riding my bike (a normal two-wheeled bike, that is). I am an idiot, though.

Peter Haworth pmh@edison.ioppublishing.com
Q: Why do programmers get Christmas and Halloween mixed up?
A: Because DEC(25) and OCT(31) are the same. :slight_smile:

peter.bier wrote:
> This practice ceased due to an unforutnate incident involving a dark and
> stormy night, KFC, a large unseen bump, oncoming traffic and a nasty
> encounter with asphalt. Worst of all I lost most of my chips :frowning:

I shouldn’t have thought “worst” was an adjective that could easily be
applied to losing any part of a KFC. Surely it’s a good thing :stuck_out_tongue:

ObUni: I find that bacon butties, or anything you can eat with a spoon, are
best for eating while unicycling.

Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
Recumbent cycle page: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

I take out the trash on my uni. Seeing as how it is less than 50 yards from my garage to the street(i have a long driveway), it is somewhat useless, but i do it anyway.

We’ve got Spunky the Clown here in Memphis Unicycle Club. He does the best version of flailing back and forth and side to side.

Riding around contorting like: “whoowoooooa, I’m falling! Watch out! Outa my way! whoooooowoooooooaooooa!!!”

Its really hillarious. (And quite impossible).:smiley: